Jump to content

Kii Audio Owners and Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

Hey @gibbo9000 appreciate the response.

 

My mixer has both XLR and RCA outputs. I always use the XLR outputs, and it's via those i connect directly to the rear of the kii's.

 

Hadn't seen the SYS before.. nice simple device. Wonder if you can disable the volume (or i guess you'd just leave it fully on?).

 

I'm looking to purchase a really good quality ADC to start archiving some of my records so it sounds like the ADC in front of the phono is the way to go (then into the kii control), and keep the DJ mixer plugged directly in to the kii's. Until i purchase the ADC however, using the PS Audio ADC to convert my DJ mixer into digital and then in to the Kii control, leaving the phono direct to the kii's will be a good solution. Hadn't thought of that so appreciate the input.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just fitted some bass traps today, now I actually know how they look and the sonic improvement they deliver in that room I will order the same again for the rear wall corners, then I'll do the wall tr

Ok, so I finally set up the BXT modules. Some initial thoughts;   The BXT is heavy but conveniently has carry handles built into both ends, which is very thoughtful given the 49 kg weight.

The matching Sonitus bass traps for the rear wall arrived yesterday so put them in straight away, it definitely has made a difference having all four corners treated in calming the room and tightening

12 hours ago, wikeeboy said:

I'm looking to purchase a really good quality ADC

Interested to see what you decide on.  I had a good look at the RME ADI and Mytek Brooklyn ADC, but over the top in my analog set up.  I was interested in Coax/Toslink (for day-to-day connection to Kii's) and USB connection for PC connection - and the cheaper ones don't offer both. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I had an opportunity to listen to the Kii’s with the BXT’s last week, all I can say is Wow! Totally impressed.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the Isoacoustic Gaia's under the Kii stands? Experience and opinion?

 

I'm interested to know if using the isoacoustic orea's as an interface between speaker cabinet and stands, or the Gaia's under the bottom of the stands would yield better results...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

Has anyone tried the Isoacoustic Gaia's under the Kii stands? Experience and opinion?

 

I'm interested to know if using the isoacoustic orea's as an interface between speaker cabinet and stands, or the Gaia's under the bottom of the stands would yield better results...

I had the Gaia’s ready to go, but the Kii’s (if the stands are the same as BXT’s) require a thread adaptor that is really hard to get. I waited nearly a year for the adaptors and they couldn’t get them, so I ended up selling the Gaia’s unfortunately.

 

If you decide to get them, I hope you have better luck getting the thread adaptors.

 

Edit - the Oreas would be a good option to start at lower cost.

Edited by Ray H
Link to post
Share on other sites

Am using Iso Pucks under the speakers and they do make a difference by removing smearing, thus enhancing detail.

 

Isoacoustics recommend using Gaias only when the speakers are directly coupled to the stands. Otherwise, Oreas or Iso Pucks. This advice came via email from them, had SGR CX3Bs then, which could be bolted to the stands.

 

Have not compared Oreas & Iso Pucks side by side but my tests with stands suggest there is no discernible difference between the pro audio and consumer range.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ray H said:

I had the Gaia’s ready to go, but the Kii’s (if the stands are the same as BXT’s) require a thread adaptor that is really hard to get. I waited nearly a year for the adaptors and they couldn’t get them, so I ended up selling the Gaia’s unfortunately.

 

If you decide to get them, I hope you have better luck getting the thread adaptors.

 

Edit - the Oreas would be a good option to start at lower cost.

 

Oh ok, thanks for the feedback. I made the simple assumption the stands would accept any of the normal spike threads. That's a shame if it is still an issue as so many comment on their great results with other speakers.

7 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Am using Iso Pucks under the speakers and they do make a difference by removing smearing, thus enhancing detail.

 

Isoacoustics recommend using Gaias only when the speakers are directly coupled to the stands. Otherwise, Oreas or Iso Pucks. This advice came via email from them, had SGR CX3Bs then, which could be bolted to the stands.

 

Have not compared Oreas & Iso Pucks side by side but my tests with stands suggest there is no discernible difference between the pro audio and consumer range.

 

Thanks Snoop, you've saved me the email to Iso :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


11 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

 

Oh ok, thanks for the feedback. I made the simple assumption the stands would accept any of the normal spike threads. That's a shame if it is still an issue as so many comment on their great results with other speakers.

 

Thanks Snoop, you've saved me the email to Iso :)

 

Hey wikee,

 

Disregard my previous, the stands have a standard M8 thread, which comes with the Gaia’s, so the Gaia’s come with an M8 thread adaptor.

 

if you buy the Gaia, I would be really interested in the results.

 

Ray

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Orea or Gaia for Kii Three?

 

Maybe can argue that the Kii Three is coupled with the BXT module and thus should use the Gaia (note weight is sum of both).

 

But the Kii Three sits on a standard stand and thus should use the Orea. Unless someone can say the Gaia is better, there should be no reason to go the Gaia. Even then, would need to somehow couple the Kii Three to the stand (anyone dare drill to add bolts???)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Orea or Gaia for Kii Three?

 

Maybe can argue that the Kii Three is coupled with the BXT module and thus should use the Gaia (note weight is sum of both).

 

But the Kii Three sits on a standard stand and thus should use the Orea. Unless someone can say the Gaia is better, there should be no reason to go the Gaia. Even then, would need to somehow couple the Kii Three to the stand (anyone dare drill to add bolts???)

 

 

Fair reasoning, also cheaper so i like your way of thinking!

 

What are you using under your stands? Are you sitting them flat on a floor or on spikes, or something else?

 

Any comments from others as to best coupling method between the stands and hard floors?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

Fair reasoning, also cheaper so i like your way of thinking!

 

What are you using under your stands? Are you sitting them flat on a floor or on spikes, or something else?

Also, would have needed the bigger, more expensive Gaia to cater for weight of both.

 

Mine sit on timber on concrete base.  You only need the Orea (or even cheaper Iso Puck) which does a good job of isolating the vibration, nothing else needed for the Kii Three. 

 

But, components feeding the Kii Three can sometimes be improved with Isoacoustics.  In my setup, the NUC did not improve, but the EtherRegen did. Even tried the Kii Controller, no gain.  Fortunately, going down this rabbit hole is relatively inexpensive...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites


@wikeeboy, going back through this thread, @antcarrier using Iso Pucks

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/300131-kii-audio-owners-and-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4601633

@PleasantSounds using ISO-200 stands

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/300131-kii-audio-owners-and-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4604297

 

And if ISO Stands are good enough for Jacob Collier (two-time GRAMMY award-winning singer, composer, arranger, producer) !!!

https://youtu.be/2qKS_Sb2szI

 

So suggest saving money and get the Isoacoustics Pro range ISO stand or ISO Puck, rather than the Orea...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

@wikeeboy, going back through this thread, @antcarrier using Iso Pucks

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/300131-kii-audio-owners-and-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4601633

@PleasantSounds using ISO-200 stands

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/300131-kii-audio-owners-and-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4604297

 

And if ISO Stands are good enough for Jacob Collier (two-time GRAMMY award-winning singer, composer, arranger, producer) !!!

https://youtu.be/2qKS_Sb2szI

 

So suggest saving money and get the Isoacoustics Pro range ISO stand or ISO Puck, rather than the Orea...

 

Thanks mate, i've got the Buchardt A500's arriving soonish so i'll grab something to suit/try on the Kii and A500's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wikeeboy said:

Thanks mate, i've got the Buchardt A500's arriving soonish so i'll grab something to suit/try on the Kii and A500's.

Looking forward to your compare! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Looking forward to your compare! 

Ditto - have found it hard not to dive in an buy a pair of A500's - only stopped by the lead time . . . and that others will do the comparison for me!

Link to post
Share on other sites


18 hours ago, gibbo9000 said:

Ditto - have found it hard not to dive in an buy a pair of A500's - only stopped by the lead time . . . and that others will do the comparison for me!

Isn't it interesting that a few Kii Three owners are keen to look at the A500?  Could it be that we are no longer satisfied?  No, is my answer, still enjoying it a lot.  But I know I am value focused and that is what is piquing my interest. Could the A500, at a quarter the price, get close enough as a replacement?  Someone did! Not normally my style to post a competitive product in an owner's thread, but since the boss of this thread (Gibbo) is interested, I figured it is OK! 😁

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/review-buchardt-audio-a500-speaker-system-r962/

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Could the A500, at a quarter the price, get close enough as a replacement?

Would be awesome if they did.  I was thinking if they were half as good at their price they are a great active solution to help build the whole category / experience - and tidy up my second system.  Kii's aren't going anywhere, aided by the sub-integration if I want more thumping bass.  Would also be keen to hear more about the A700's.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Topman_Chief said:

That audiophilestyle review didn't really say much at all. Looking forward to your review @wikeeboy

I agree review could have been better, but the reviewer was replacing his Kii Threes. Which suggests that the A500 is close enough?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Isn't it interesting that a few Kii Three owners are keen to look at the A500?  Could it be that we are no longer satisfied?  No, is my answer, still enjoying it a lot.  But I know I am value focused and that is what is piquing my interest. Could the A500, at a quarter the price, get close enough as a replacement?  Someone did! Not normally my style to post a competitive product in an owner's thread, but since the boss of this thread (Gibbo) is interested, I figured it is OK! 😁

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/review-buchardt-audio-a500-speaker-system-r962/

 

I've had a few PM's asking if i'm no longer happy with the Kii's seeing i've purchased the A500's. For me it really has nothing to do with being particularly unhappy with the Kii's. I like trying different lots of different gear just for the fun of it, and with that of course comes comparisons to what you have, and have had.

 

I think the kii's will be unsurpassed (except for possibly D&D 8c's and Genelec One's) when it comes to accuracy. If in a studio environment, i can't see you doing better than a pair of Kii's, they are simply amazing. That also applies for 'critical' listening in a home environment. Although i still do believe the kii's to be a little 'dry' when compared to high end 'audiophile' speakers. Only so far DSP can go with off the shelf drivers.

 

My gut feel on the A500's is they won't be as 'accurate' as the kii's, or be as pinpoint with imaging, but will possibly be better in the fun factor area. If you just do your listening in 'critical' mode all the time, and with high quality demo tracks, then the Kii's will be the ones. If you're like i've been of more recent times using your gear in a family shared environment with a lot of background music, i'm thinking the A500's may be a bit more fun and expressive... but that's just a guess at the moment :)

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

My gut feel on the A500's is they won't be as 'accurate' as the kii's, or be as pinpoint with imaging, but will possibly be better in the fun factor area. If you just do your listening in 'critical' mode all the time, and with high quality demo tracks, then the Kii's will be the ones. If you're like i've been of more recent times using your gear in a family shared environment with a lot of background music, i'm thinking the A500's may be a bit more fun and expressive... but that's just a guess at the moment :)

Mine are in a family room, mostly for non critical listening of familiar music that the better half likes (but does not appreciate the SQ, story for another day!  😢).  

 

With the Kii Threes, I do notice details not heard before even though I am in casual mode. Plus the sound stage is large and multi layered. The last point is what I look for in all systems.

 

When do your A500s arrive?  I assume they have a burn in time?

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shipping delayed due to COVID, grrr. Was meant to arrive this week, now it's not scheduled to arrive in Denmark till mid March then will be sent here so likely late March early April.

 

Oh, forgot to mention in the meantime i have some Genelec 8351's on the way... should be another really interesting experience/comparison in the new active speaker space :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wikeeboy said:

Shipping delayed due to COVID, grrr. Was meant to arrive this week, now it's not scheduled to arrive in Denmark till mid March then will be sent here so likely late March early April.

 

Oh, forgot to mention in the meantime i have some Genelec 8351's on the way... should be another really interesting experience/comparison in the new active speaker space :)

 

Nice! The guy I bought my Audioengine A5's off in Canada 12+ years ago had big Genelec monitors on stands, plus their sub, set up in his flat. He was over the moon at the performance for the money. I still remember how great it sounded. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Isn't it interesting that a few Kii Three owners are keen to look at the A500?  Could it be that we are no longer satisfied?  No, is my answer, still enjoying it a lot.  But I know I am value focused and that is what is piquing my interest. Could the A500, at a quarter the price, get close enough as a replacement?  Someone did! Not normally my style to post a competitive product in an owner's thread, but since the boss of this thread (Gibbo) is interested, I figured it is OK! 😁

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/review-buchardt-audio-a500-speaker-system-r962/

He is now selling the a500 and has bought speakers from Heavenly Soundworks. They are a new firm, direct Kii competitor, IMO. Their "bookshelf" speaker is 10K US. They also have 30K and 80K floorstanders coming.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, firedog said:

He is now selling the a500 and has bought speakers from Heavenly Soundworks. They are a new firm, direct Kii competitor, IMO. Their "bookshelf" speaker is 10K US. They also have 30K and 80K floorstanders coming.

 

Hadn't heard of this company before. Interesting! This space is definitely heating up!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for the OT question...

 

For all the wise heads in here, what device can i buy to act as a digital switching box and also an adc for analogue inputs?

 

I love the Kii's ability to handle a multitude of digital and analgue inputs (kii control & rear of speakers). If not for those inputs however, what device would solve this?

 

I need something for the 8351 genelecs... It has dig and analogue on rear of speaker but i need more digital inputs. Pretty sure there's something from RME??

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

what device can i buy to act as a digital switching box and also an adc for analogue inputs?

One option is the miniDSP SHD if you need analogue and digital - or SHD Studio if you can suffice with digital and have separate ADC (my approach).  I have the SHD connected to Kii's via AES/EBU with the Kii controller disconnected.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gibbo9000 said:

One option is the miniDSP SHD if you need analogue and digital - or SHD Studio if you can suffice with digital and have separate ADC (my approach).  I have the SHD connected to Kii's via AES/EBU with the Kii controller disconnected.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd

 

With the added benefit of Dirac thrown in? That could be fun :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of interest gentlemen, what front ends are you using with your Kii 3’s? 
 

cheers,

Terry

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TerryO said:

Out of interest gentlemen, what front ends are you using with your Kii 3’s? 
 

cheers,

Terry

 

Great question as i'm also very interested in what everyone's using, especially as a digital solution to feed the kii's.

 

My current setup is:

 

Turntable (KAB Modded Technics M5G)-> PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter -> Mutec M3+USB -> Kii Control (COAX)

 

Cullen/W4S Modified Sonos -> Mutec M3+USB -> Kii Control (Coax)

 

TV/Foxtel etc -> Kii Control (Optical)

 

DJ Rig (Technics Turntables & Allen & Heath Xone 96 Mixer) -> Direct Analogue XLR connection Kii Speakers

 

** I previously had all digital sources plugged in to the Mutec M3+USB, and the mutec directly connected to the Kii's via AES digital on speakers.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

With the Kii Threes, I do notice details not heard before even though I am in casual mode. Plus the sound stage is large and multi layered. The last point is what I look for in all systems.

👍  IMO for me, if the speaker can produce a transparent, pin point image of the stage, and have good width, height, and depth  to the soundstage - thats a really well designed speaker!!  Since changing my upstream sources, i'm appreciating what the CX4F's can really do in my listening room.  I never really appreciated how transparent they were until i revised my source equip.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MrBurns84 said:

👍  IMO for me, if the speaker can produce a transparent, pin point image of the stage, and have good width, height, and depth  to the soundstage - thats a really well designed speaker!!  Since changing my upstream sources, i'm appreciating what the CX4F's can really do in my listening room.  I never really appreciated how transparent they were until i revised my source equip.   

 Thus the reason for my question.

 

cheers,

Terry

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, gibbo9000 said:

One option is the miniDSP SHD if you need analogue and digital - or SHD Studio if you can suffice with digital and have separate ADC (my approach).  I have the SHD connected to Kii's via AES/EBU with the Kii controller disconnected.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd

 

Im thinking of doing this - TT - Puffin phono (dig out) / Allo USBridge - Mutec M3 USB - SHD Studio - MP Dac - MP Pre - CX4Fs.  Time to get the puffin modded and procure a mutec and shd studio... :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Current setup is:

 

Inputs

Turntable (Project X2 / Hana ML) => PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter => SHD Studio (Coax)   OR  Parks Puffin => SHD Studio (Optical) (Puffin filtering / options useful on less than average vinyl)

CD (Arcam Delta 250) => SHD Studio (Coax or Optical)
Roon Server => SHD Studio (Ethernet as Roon End Point - hopefully soon to be officially certified)

 

Speakers

SHD Studio Out (Channels 1 and 2) => Kii's (AES Digital)
SHD Studio Out (Channels 3 and 4) => miniDSP OpenDRC - DA8 (Coax) => Rythmik Sub (Analogue)

 

Side Notes
SHD Studio acts as source select / volume / Dirac / sub X-Over (four presets - none, 30, 50 and 80Hz)
Kii Controller used solely for any config in Kii's, but day-to-day is disconnected and lives in cupboard

OpenDRC main function is 100ms time waster and DAC - Kii's processing delay is circa 100ms and hence sub needs to be delayed that long to be time aligned (which is beyond SHD Studio 30ms limit)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TerryO said:

Out of interest gentlemen, what front ends are you using with your Kii 3’s? 
 

cheers,

Terry

 Hi Terry,

 

I have optical from TV and USB from Innuos Zenith MKiii streamer/server into the Kii3/BXT.

 

I Previously had Auralic Aries G2.1 prior to the innuos.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My input is relatively simple. 

 

Intel NUC running SnakeOil, USB (only input that does DSD) into Kii Controller. Using MPD with music on NAS. Using LMS for its good Tidal integration.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By overjp
      Price: $15000 Item Condition: excellent, with all the original accessories & packaging. Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: Victoria Payment Method: bank transfer. Reason for selling: change of direction. Further information: leaning towards a local sale. Shipping possible at buyer's expense and risk.
       
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.


    • By aris
      Item: Kii Three, Kii Control and HiFi Stands
      Location: Melbourne
      Price: $14,640 (60% current new price)
      Item Condition: Mint, with boxes. Graphite Satin colour. 
      Reason for selling: Upgrading
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Bought new, April 2018. I have the original boxes, cables, and documentation. 
       
      Will demo for serious buyers but please don’t ask to listen if you’re not prepared to buy now at the advertised price. 
       
      The Kii Three are an active speaker system. No amps, DAC or additional cables are required. I connect them to Roon via a Raspberry/Hifiberry Roon Ropiee endpoint vis USB or SPDIF, which I’ll include if required. 
       
      The Kii Threes have two primary controls to set depending on your room, their placement and your listening position.
       
      Boundary - set depending on how close to corners or walls the Kii’s will be, resulting in optimal adjustment of bass to your room and listening position; and
      Contour - setting a room curve, usually to shape low and high frequencies to personal preferences. 
       
      A good set up guide is available here: https://www.cm-audio.net/images/kii/three/kii-three-manual-en.pdf
       
      I have these in medium sized room (6x5m) and they work very well. For larger rooms one can add the BXT modules, if required for a fuller/bigger bass presentation. 
       
      Ideally suited to anyone looking to consolidate or rationalise their hifi configuration. They will provide hassle free music enjoyment without fuss.
       
      Finally, these have the pro firmware installed, which provides a bit more headroom than the domestic version. The kind folks at Sonicpurity where I purchased these are excellent for advice and support. 

      Photos: Photos provided as set up in my listening room. 






    • By PleasantSounds
      Hi All
      I have just published a small review of Kii THREE - please follow this link if interested.
       




×
×
  • Create New...