Supratek Cortese query

NKMA

Hi all, 

I recently (only picked up today) a Supratek Cortese amp from a forum member. The back panel looks like the below. Firstly, which one of these RCAs are inputs and which ones are outputs. Also, my power amp only has XLR, so what options do I have to connect an RCA to XLR?

i have asked for the manual to be emailed, in its absence, it would be good to get an understanding of what the black switch on the extreme left does to the flick switch on the right? 

thank you.image.thumb.jpg.e87db097fdbfd420396887f56360385b.jpg

Each preamp by Mick is unique so it's hard to be certain but there are patterns to his usual approach. The rightmost RCAs are almost certainly the outputs whilst the ones on the left are the inputs. The dial in the right is going to be adjustable gain and the switch right next to it will bypass the gain and set it to maximum gain. There will probably be two sets of outputs on the right. I don't have the switch on the left so I can't say for certain what it is but theatre bypass comes to mind. As for XLR, there are plenty of converters available either as plugs or integrated into interconnects. None of them will give you true balanced operation but should work fine, and there is no one perfect solution.

Ittaku is correct 

looking from the rear the ones on the left are inputs,if it has phono inbuilt that is usually the very left set of rcas

then 2 or 3 more inputs and an earth plug for phono(accepts a banana plug) if I recall

sorry not home at the moment to send pic of manual 

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

Each preamp by Mick is unique so it's hard to be certain but there are patterns to his usual approach. The rightmost RCAs are almost certainly the outputs whilst the ones on the left are the inputs. The dial in the right is going to be adjustable gain and the switch right next to it will bypass the gain and set it to maximum gain. There will probably be two sets of outputs on the right. I don't have the switch on the left so I can't say for certain what it is but theatre bypass comes to mind. As for XLR, there are plenty of converters available either as plugs or integrated into interconnects. None of them will give you true balanced operation but should work fine, and there is no one perfect solution.

Thanks @Ittaku for the response. Are there any recommendations on the converter plugs? I have also reached out to Supratek to see if they can add XLRs now..

1 hour ago, muriwai said:

Ittaku is correct 

looking from the rear the ones on the left are inputs,if it has phono inbuilt that is usually the very left set of rcas

then 2 or 3 more inputs and an earth plug for phono(accepts a banana plug) if I recall

sorry not home at the moment to send pic of manual 

thanks @muriwai.

Just PM Micheal @statman and give him your serial number.

As for shipping the amp back to WA for XLR output, I wouldn't bother, either use adaptors or get some RCA-XLR cables made up. I have used both solutions for my Supratek and I have never had an issue.

@muriwai is correct. Black switch on left is the loading for MC phono stage. At least is is for mine.

P.S. Welcome to the Supratek family!

Edited by Guest

Not an audiophile brand I know, but they'll do the job till you decide on a permanent solution, or they'll probably be good enough anyway:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/adapters/xlr-adapter.htm

Choose which ones depending on whether you have RCA interconnects or XLR interconnects to decide which end you'll need the adapter on.

• Thanks 1

A further question on the preamp.. finally got it going using RCA to XLR cables and still getting used to the sound. I have a slight hiss with the gain @40%. Is this normal and the hiss increases with the gain turning up. Also on one of the speakers the hiss is slightly more than the other. Is there a reason for this..? 

On 26/01/2020 at 7:23 AM, NKMA said:

A further question on the preamp.. finally got it going using RCA to XLR cables and still getting used to the sound. I have a slight hiss with the gain @40%. Is this normal and the hiss increases with the gain turning up. Also on one of the speakers the hiss is slightly more than the other. Is there a reason for this..? 

Because of tubes ;) 

• Like 1

I find neutrik rca to xlr adapters are extremely good, as in neutral. 

They crush the expensive dull sounding cardas adaptors 

https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Neutrik/NA2MPMF?qs=%2BrH4t%2BeVZ2M9YIPV8TVVTg%3D%3D&vip=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsbrxBRDpARIsAAnnz_PbOX2QVIS60oVvcmajKWZJ8Np-X2HYHIlrCzdCV3XpImo0j4U3xWwaAnbzEALw_wcB

• Thanks 1

On 26/01/2020 at 10:23 AM, NKMA said:

Swap the left channel and right channel valves. If the hiss moves you have a noisy valve.

Then isolate the offender with the same method.

Might help a bit.

Edited by Gryffles
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

Swap the left channel and right channel valves. If the hiss moves you have a noisy valve.

Then isolate the offender with the same method.

Might help a bit.

Will try it.. are all 4 on one side transferable? The reason being, the bigger ones have a plastic base but the small one doesn’t..

image.jpg

4 minutes ago, NKMA said:

Will try it.. are all 4 on one side transferable? The reason being, the bigger ones have a plastic base but the small one doesn’t..

image.jpg

Yes, so all valves from left go to right and vice versa. Hard to tell from pic but the white bases look like adapters.

Dont mix em up!

Edited by Gryffles
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NKMA said:

image.jpg

usually they are tested as a pair or quad. Not sure if you installed correctly?

9 hours ago, Gryffles said:

Yes, so all valves from left go to right and vice versa. Hard to tell from pic but the white bases look like adapters.

Dont mix em up!

It’s the tubes with black bases on the top (next to the big domes) that when I swapped them, the hissing went to the other speaker..?. What a relief.. it was annoying at low volume levels.
How do I go about replacing them, get the model number and ask for the same tubes or options to try different?

25 minutes ago, NKMA said:

It’s the tubes with black bases on the top (next to the big domes) that when I swapped them, the hissing went to the other speaker..?. What a relief.. it was annoying at low volume levels.
How do I go about replacing them, get the model number and ask for the same tubes or options to try different?

Wonderful!

I assume they are 6SN7, please check, so you need a matched and balanced pair.

Given you don’t know the age of the tubes it might be a good idea to get a complete new set in the future or get current ones tested

1 hour ago, NKMA said:

43 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

Wonderful!

I assume they are 6SN7, please check, so you need a matched and balanced pair.

Given you don’t know the age of the tubes it might be a good idea to get a complete new set in the future or get current ones tested

Unless there is some indication on the tube, it may be prudent not to assume. Contact Mick at Supratek if there is any doubt, he's very helpful.

Interesting to see E180F as an input @Nanoat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

NC400 monoblocks make a great match with the Supratek if you're into DIY or can find someone who's built a pair - I use them as a backup amp with my Supratek. Alternatively, you might want to look at the commercial NC500 offerings or the Hypex ones.

16 hours ago, Ittaku said:

NC400 monoblocks make a great match with the Supratek if you're into DIY or can find someone who's built a pair - I use them as a backup amp with my Supratek. Alternatively, you might want to look at the commercial NC500 offerings or the Hypex ones.

Haven’t heard of them.. will keep an eye out..thanks 

2 minutes ago, NKMA said:

Haven’t heard of them.. will keep an eye out..thanks 

Sure. I meant the Hypex or the Purifi ones, and accidentally wrote Hypex again.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, gryphongryph said:

NKMA - how did it go with your amp? 
What Solid state power amps can you guys recommend with Supratek?

As Ittaku mentioned, other than the gain noise, it sounds very good. I’m using Krell FPB 400Cx Power amp. Planning to try the NCs.

Edited by NKMA