Sign in to follow this  
baker1234

speaker cables

Hi all went to listen to a 200 watt into 8 ohm amp guy had high quality cables silver 900 dollar value he said i asked what difference they made to what he had previously he said approx 5 percent better approx, is this about right .anyone know.

It really depends on what his previous cables were.

LoL - a can of worms with no answer, and many, many other threads on every forum with the same discussion.

IMHO I focus on the room sound (speaker/sub/listening position and treatment) then speakers as the priority.

Everything else (especially interconnects and speaker cables) are much lower down the list of priorities IMO that make significant differences to the room sound...

IMO "reasonable" interconnects and speaker cables are all that's required - I use Blue Jeans interconnects - well regarded- and no name speaker cable, including Bunnings 240V electrical cable inside some of my DIY speakers.

You'll likely get a range of views here on SNA  - my suggestion is to borrow some speaker cables and try them - YMMV from mine.

cheers

Mike

That makes sense to me mike old school guys used solid copper stove cable 

Guest Muon N'

No clear answer, like someone says it depends on the previous cable, and I'll add also the system Itself, then you have the listener equation that can be wildly variable.

I did a comparison in my system a while ago with speaker cables, I use some Aurealis Audio ones based around Neotech UP-OCC solid core Copper, this is a high purity long drawn copper.

Compared to the same brand of Silver Litz cables the difference was big! The Silver Litz cables from Geoff had a level of detail and pin point precision that my standard cables couldn't come close to, keep in mind the LItz Geoff uses is very high quality also..

Keep in mind that not all Silver is equal, as not all Copper is equal, purity and annealing and drawing processes are often different and can have a noticeable effect from one to another.

I have heard Silver that is bright and thin with no body, and then Silver like in those Litz that are far from this.

Edited by Muon N'

If he did not have any cables they would make 100% difference. 

20 hours ago, baker1234 said:

Hi all went to listen to a 200 watt into 8 ohm amp guy had high quality cables silver 900 dollar value he said i asked what difference they made to what he had previously he said approx 5 percent better approx, is this about right .anyone know.

Electrically if you were to measure the speaker's performance with any different cables of a decent construction or above, the difference is zero percent. Sonically, people hear somewhere between 0 and 1000% differences, some even likening cable changes to a speaker upgrade. Try them for yourself and see if you're in the zero or one thousand camp, or somewhere in between which is where most of us lie, but try your utmost to audition them without buying them first. Once you've bought them you'll always hear an improvement, whether there is one or not.

33 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Electrically if you were to measure the speaker's performance with any different cables of a decent construction or above, the difference is zero percent. Sonically, people hear somewhere between 0 and 1000% differences, some even likening cable changes to a speaker upgrade. Try them for yourself and see if you're in the zero or one thousand camp, or somewhere in between which is where most of us lie, but try your utmost to audition them without buying them first. Once you've bought them you'll always hear an improvement, whether there is one or not.

very interesting the quest for better sound not easy to quantify the bs factor

Just now, baker1234 said:

Very interesting the quest for better sound not easy to quantify the bs factor

Indeed, and the sooner you know that, the better.

1 minute ago, baker1234 said:

Thanks very helpfull

The other advantage of these two is that they are Brisbane based and Geoff from Aurealis is one of the best people I have ever dealt with.

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

Indeed, and the sooner you know that, the better.

Yeh not an easy task varying opinions thanks for your feedback

16 minutes ago, baker1234 said:

Yeh not an easy task varying opinions thanks for your feedback

Actually ,it really is easy. Make sure you get a home trial and buy whatever pair puts a smile on your face. If nothing does, don't buy it.

Simples.:)

It really does depend on so many factors that a definite Yes/No is not possible.

Consider these:

• What is the system that you are putting it into? is it a high current system (inefficient speakers with 'arc welders' as amplifiers) or a Pye 3-in-1?
  • Is the speaker wire really a choke point? Is your amplifier kicking butt and not scoring goals or is it all powered by an ipod with mp3s ?

Try a pair and listen, however recognise that more improvement may be (just maybe) from changes upstream in your system.

Edited by Ralph