Volkswagen Mk8 Golf GTI

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's no good being 'interesting' if it's simply too small!   Yeah, the Octavia is a bit lighter and more 'chuckable' for sure (1425kg vs 1600kg) but the Superb is within the ballpark of my

those wheels are an odd combination with rest of styling. looks a bit of a miss mash especially that grill which has a bit of a wallace and gromit going on about it     I somehow suspect thi

Due here later this year, probably late rather than mid. Around $50k for the 180kw (same as the current 7.5) base model and a new Clubsport version with 213kw (like a current R) for who knows what $.

56 minutes ago, lucmor444 said:

This looks good (front bumper is  better plus all the other goodies):

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/10/2021-vw-golf-gti-clubsport-announced-with-296-hp-and-a-trick-new-diff/

Yeah, just spotted this on another page. Great news. My next GTI, assuming we get it here and it's not detuned for our market. 220kw and 400nm sounds good. With all the chassis, suspension, steering, brakes, etc. improvements this should be a seriously quick car.

The front grille looks better now that those stupid lights each side are gone and replaced with vents to supply air to the brakes and the additional radiators.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-vw-golf-gti-clubsport-gets-296bhp-and-chassis-upgrades

Edit: The "trick" diff isn't that new, it's currently fitted to the MY19 Mk7.5 GTI.

Edited by ArthurDent
1 hour ago, lucmor444 said:

This looks good (front bumper is  better plus all the other goodies):

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/10/2021-vw-golf-gti-clubsport-announced-with-296-hp-and-a-trick-new-diff/

Can't say I like the one inch gearstick.   

I use my full size one all the time on my 7.5 R, especially going back n forth from D to Sport.  

won't comment about the dash 

Yes, the front grille is definitely better

VW-Golf-GTI-Clubsport-7.jpg

52 minutes ago, metal beat said:

I use my full size one all the time on my 7.5 R, especially going back n forth from D to Sport.  

The gear lever is a worry and there doesn't appear to be a + / -

And if there is I'm sure VW will have them the wrong way around.

• Like 1

Not a fan of the new electronic interior.

I prefer analogue clocks and hard buttons.

The gear lever/stub looks like a mainstream version of the Porsche 992 toggle.

Manual shifting only via the paddles, which appear to be the usual pathetic little things, whereas the new Tiguan R gets decent sized paddles.

• Like 2
On 14/10/2020 at 12:53 PM, metal beat said:

I think I'd better get to the gym and start working my thumb and forefinger to get ready to race change gears with a one inch stick.  Bahahahaha! 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've skipped the boring bits in this clip and gone straight to the on road stuff.

Interesting comments about the chassis and comparison to his Mk7.5 GTI TCR.

Probably not surprising given the work VW have done and the improved track times that have been reported.

I do hope the yet to be released Clubsport version makes it to Australia.

Edited by ArthurDent

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is what I would like for my next Golf GTI. Apparently not coming here though. Come on VW Australia bring the Golf Mk 8 GTI Clubsport to Australia.

Bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, reworked chassis, altered suspension geometry, bigger brakes and best of all, shorter gearing.

Actually best of all, is the front end looks so much better.

Only 7 seconds slower around Nurburgring than the legendary Mk7 GTI Clubsport S which was built to set a FWD new record for the track of 7:47 back in 2016.

Edited by ArthurDent
  • 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Wow that's a pretty scathing review.  I must admit I had a Mk5 Golf GTI and that felt that all GTIs after that I drove (mk6, 7 and 7.5) had a similar feel to the way they drove - but that's not a bad thing.  Really does depend what you want in your car - I assume some journos want something more revolutionary otherwise it could be seen as boring.

13 minutes ago, qik_shift said:

Wow that's a pretty scathing review.  I must admit I had a Mk5 Golf GTI and that felt that all GTIs after that I drove (mk6, 7 and 7.5) had a similar feel to the way they drove - but that's not a bad thing.  Really does depend what you want in your car - I assume some journos want something more revolutionary otherwise it could be seen as boring.

I had a mk7 GTI for 5 years and loved it.   Moved up to a 7.5 R earlier this year and very happy.

The dash with no buttons on the 8 is a major mistake imo.  And the 1cm gear knob is bizzare - forces one to use the paddles or just leave it in dsg.

• 3 weeks later...

Another Top Gear review and from another Ollie but this time for the Clubsport version, albeit a non DCC version which is a bit odd.

"Overall I enjoyed it. The ride and handling are about exactly where I’d want them and front end traction is improved enough that I wondered if I’d have this over the forthcoming Golf R. We haven’t driven that yet, but I bet the lighter, front drive Clubsport is every bit as fast as the R in almost all conditions, and presumably a bit sharper overall. It really does enjoy being hustled. Well, the chassis does at least."

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/volkswagen/golf-mk7/20-tsi-300-gti-clubsport-5dr-dsg/first-drive

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

So the Mk8 GTi is now in Type R territory in respect to its price (but not driving capability)  Hate to think what the R will cost.  Makes the current TCR a very inviting proposition if in the market for a Golf.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/927085/2021-volkswagen-golf-gti-price-and-specs-new-hot-hatch-to-cost-nearly-60000-drive-away/

1 hour ago, lucmor444 said:

So the Mk8 GTi is now in Type R territory in respect to its price (but not driving capability)  Hate to think what the R will cost.  Makes the current TCR a very inviting proposition if in the market for a Golf.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/927085/2021-volkswagen-golf-gti-price-and-specs-new-hot-hatch-to-cost-nearly-60000-drive-away/

hmmm.   so glad I bought a 7.5 R last year for a lot less than the GTI cost.

yea, pick up one of the last TCR's or a final edition 7.5 R with the funky colours

Edited by metal beat
12 hours ago, lucmor444 said:

Still to be confirmed but I doubt these prices would work. It's a very competitive market out there.  They do bring us up to parity with the prices in Europe though as we have so far enjoyed cheap VW's in this country, so who knows. Still no word on the  Clubsport version for Oz but if that was to cost mid 60's then that's way too much.

Driving capability of the R. Yeah, but a lot of people find them a tad boring. For me the extra weight outweighs the sometimes increased traction. Good fun at the lights if you can stay on the almost responsible side of antisocial behavior.

Well I don't need a the bigger stereo, I really don't like leather and I sure as hell don't want a panoramic sunroof, so bugger.

Drove my MY19 19.5 GTI with all the performance upgrades out of the dealers yard for $46K.

MK8Cost.jpg

I guess the fact that luxury, all brands are now using generic 4pot FWD platforms, they're just capitalising on a market opportunity. It sort of perversely works in their favour.

It is a competitive market,  but what's the difference now? probably just marketing and branding to 99% of the buyers.

But yeah 60k for a Golf is pushing it..

I actually meant that the GTi is now in the price range of the Civic Type R - which, despite its polarising looks (I am not a fan but could live with a white or black one), is a step above the GTi as a hot hatch/driver's car.

Based on the GTi's pricing it seems the Mk8 R may be in Audi S3/Mercedes A35 price range.  

22 minutes ago, lucmor444 said:

I actually meant that the GTi is now in the price range of the Civic Type R - which, despite its polarising looks (I am not a fan but could live with a white or black one), is a step above the GTi as a hot hatch/driver's car.

Based on the GTi's pricing it seems the Mk8 R may be in Audi S3/Mercedes A35 price range.  

Yeah but they're all probably going up in price as well.

GTi's are made by Peugeot.

Type R is only $1800 more for the updated 2021 model - and lot more bang for the buck.  But I get why a GTi (ooops, I mean GTI:)) is preferable for some.

59 minutes ago, lucmor444 said:

Type R is only $1800 more for the updated 2021 model - and lot more bang for the buck.  But I get why a GTi (ooops, I mean GTI:)) is preferable for some.

The Honda Civic Type R is a seriously good car. If I was much much younger I'd consider being seen in one.

21 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

The Honda Civic Type R is a seriously good car. If I was much much younger I'd consider being seen in one.

that looks like a complete POS.      sorry, one of the ugliest cars ever released.   IMO

Edited by metal beat
28 minutes ago, metal beat said:

that looks like a complete POS.      sorry, one of the ugliest cars ever released.   IMO

Hence why I wouldn't be seen dead in one at my age although I could possibly get away with it.

• Haha 1
On 23/02/2021 at 8:55 AM, ArthurDent said:

Still to be confirmed but I doubt these prices would work. It's a very competitive market out there.  They do bring us up to parity with the prices in Europe though as we have so far enjoyed cheap VW's in this country, so who knows. Still no word on the  Clubsport version for Oz but if that was to cost mid 60's then that's way too much.

Driving capability of the R. Yeah, but a lot of people find them a tad boring. For me the extra weight outweighs the sometimes increased traction. Good fun at the lights if you can stay on the almost responsible side of antisocial behavior.

https://www.motoring.com.au/new-volkswagen-golf-gti-heads-upmarket-128632/

The new 2021 Volkswagen Golf GTI will head dramatically upmarket when it finally arrives Down Under in May, with a starting price of $53,100 plus on-road costs and standard equipment list to match.

Like the mainstream Mark 8 Volkswagen Golf hatch range it will top, the new German hot hatch will be significantly more expensive than the model it replaces (from $47,190), and over $11K more than the base Golf GTI price in 2018 ($41,990), when the manual transmission was axed.

The $53K pricetag also positions the new Volkswagen Golf GTI well above traditional rivals like the Subaru WRX sedan ($40,990), Hyundai i30 N Performance ($41,400) and Ford Focus ST ($44,890), and just below the Renault Megane RS Trophy ($53,990) and Honda Type R ($54,990).

26 minutes ago, metal beat said:

“The pricing position is built around a lot of things,” said Bartsch.

“It’s built around the unfavourable exchange rate that we’ve had for a long time, and it’s built around the fact that we’re no longer prepared to try and subsidise the car to offset the reality that we’re on an unlevel playing field in Australia.

“We’re no longer fixated on a lower entry point. I think we have to recognise that brand position for Volkswagen.”

I've always thought of their brand position as a cheaper Audi.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, metal beat said:

I doubt we'll see it here as VW Australia hasn't even committed to bringing in the standard Clubsport version of the Mk8.

On straight exchange rate that's aud$75k which is getting into slightly ridiculous territory for a Golf.

Edited by ArthurDent
  • Like 1