Volkswagen Mk8 Golf GTI

Due here later this year, probably late rather than mid. Around $50k for the 180kw (same as the current 7.5) base model and a new Clubsport version with 213kw (like a current R) for who knows what $. Still not sure about the exterior especially the front but I'm warming to the interior. 5 doors only. Mk7.5 TCR is also due this year at around $60k. Mk8 R not due here until 2021. Fun times at Volkswagen. As usual due to our crappy fuel we'll continue to miss out on the more advanced engines.

• Like 1
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's no good being 'interesting' if it's simply too small!   Yeah, the Octavia is a bit lighter and more 'chuckable' for sure (1425kg vs 1600kg) but the Superb is within the ballpark of my

those wheels are an odd combination with rest of styling. looks a bit of a miss mash especially that grill which has a bit of a wallace and gromit going on about it     I somehow suspect thi

this is very true....something i noticed with my FWD hot hatches even with all wizardry can struggle put power down for traction scrambling to grip. something I have found both RWD and AWD are better

What advanced engines are we currently missing out on?

We do get slightly de-tuned versions of the R, but so do the USA.   

It's supposed to be a combination of our hot environment and I think too much sulphur in our fuel?

The interior of the Golf 8 looks nice, but similar to many other cars now.   

I love the current cockpit look of the 7.5 series and it's pretty timeless imo.

Edited by metal beat
10 minutes ago, metal beat said:

What advanced engines are we currently missing out on?

We do get slightly de-tuned versions of the R, but so do the USA.   

It's supposed to be a combination of our hot environment and I think too much sulphur in our fuel?

The interior of the Golf 8 looks nice, but similar to many other cars now.   

I love the current cockpit look of the 7.5 series and it's pretty timeless imo.

Any engine designed to use a PPF. It's the high sulphur content, something our stupid federal government could have fixed last year but decided not to. Might drive up fuel prices when the refineries past the cost on. Idiots, but we elect them.

I agree with you re the 7.5 cockpit. A nice place to be.

24 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

Any engine designed to use a PPF. It's the high sulphur content, something our stupid federal government could have fixed last year but decided not to. Might drive up fuel prices when the refineries past the cost on. Idiots, but we elect them.

I agree with you re the 7.5 cockpit. A nice place to be.

Learn something new every day.  Interesting, but quite disappointing with our lax standards.  

.Australia’s fuel can contain up to 150 parts per million (ppm) of sulphur compared to Europe’s much tighter tolerance of just 10ppm.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/audi-on-petrol-particulate-filters-in-australia-we-think-theres-a-way-76736

34 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Learn something new every day.  Interesting, but quite disappointing with our lax standards.  

.Australia’s fuel can contain up to 150 parts per million (ppm) of sulphur compared to Europe’s much tighter tolerance of just 10ppm.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/audi-on-petrol-particulate-filters-in-australia-we-think-theres-a-way-76736

The good news is that that's for normal unleaded. For 98 it comes down to 50ppm so only five times that of Europe 😉

• Haha 1

If the renders are to be believed, I cant believe the blatant rip off of the Renault Sport fog lights! I wonder if the market research from the middle aged professional mums dug out that gem. Just like red brake calipers and popping exhausts.

• Moderators

its broken cover...

should be here later this year...

https://www.caradvice.com.au/821128/2021-vw-golf-gti-breaks-cover-due-in-australian-showrooms-by-the-end-of-this-year/

not sure much of a departure externally. the droopy front nose isnt great ! back looks a bit toyota corolla-ish...

perhaps like many cars ... better in the metal but the interior looks a massive step forward from existing car...main point difference would suggest.

otherwise looks more an interim model before next gen becomes hyperised with electric power of some sort... which am sure will come ...

1 hour ago, RockandorRoll said:

If the renders are to be believed, I cant believe the blatant rip off of the Renault Sport fog lights! I wonder if the market research from the middle aged professional mums dug out that gem. Just like red brake calipers and popping exhausts.

More and more cars look the same these days. Those that drift too far away from the norm get shot down for being ugly (Toyota/Honda). That said VW have always had a conservative look for the Golf, even the hotter models.

On 17/01/2020 at 7:15 PM, ArthurDent said:

Due here later this year, probably late rather than mid. Around $50k for the 180kw (same as the current 7.5) base model and a new Clubsport version with 213kw (like a current R) for who knows what $. Still not sure about the exterior especially the front but I'm warming to the interior. 5 doors only. Mk7.5 TCR is also due this year at around $60k. Mk8 R not due here until 2021. Fun times at Volkswagen. As usual due to our crappy fuel we'll continue to miss out on the more advanced engines.

213kw in a front wheel drive is just stupid. Wife went from a mk 6 GTI to a mk 7 R Wolfsburg purely because the GTI had no traction from standstill or low speeds. R is an absolute hoot to drive but due to some faulty paint we found ourselves with an Audi S3. Nicer interior but I preferred the touch screens in the Golf.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, blybo said:

213kw in a front wheel drive is just stupid. Wife went from a mk 6 GTI to a mk 7 R Wolfsburg purely because the GTI had no traction from standstill or low speeds. R is an absolute hoot to drive but due to some faulty paint we found ourselves with an Audi S3. Nicer interior but I preferred the touch screens in the Golf.

this is very true....something i noticed with my FWD hot hatches even with all wizardry can struggle put power down for traction scrambling to grip. something I have found both RWD and AWD are better for... 

but still GTI has its place.... it sells a great portion of golf for VW so very important model for them and for most folk about as quick a car as need and electronic nannies these days mean would have to be silly to get into trouble.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, betty boop said:

this is very true....something i noticed with my FWD hot hatches even with all wizardry struggle put power down for traction scrambling to grip. something I have found both RWD and AWD are better for... 

Yup,

60cb1c8bf0b83547ce480ce1d6388803be6b54d1

• Like 2

Tyres help.

I'm 190kw and 450nm in FWD. I went from Bridestone Potenzas to Pilot Super Sports and don't notice the wheelspin anymore. The ELSD / torque vectoring help a lot.

My old MKV GTI was a pig and would squirrel its way down the road, even my RS Clio would peel out. Tech and tyres can help a lot, but just like a trying to launch a Camaro, even the best struggle with too  much power (go to 1.30)

16 minutes ago, RockandorRoll said:

Tyres help.

I'm 190kw and 450nm in FWD. I went from Bridestone Potenzas to Pilot Super Sports and don't notice the wheelspin anymore. The ELSD / torque vectoring help a lot.

My old MKV GTI was a pig and would squirrel its way down the road, even my RS Clio would peel out. Tech and tyres can help a lot,

When I had a modified WRX I could only spin wheels in the wet and that was up there with the STi's of the day with around 235kw. I'd rather weight and get an R rather than hi output FWD.

18 hours ago, RockandorRoll said:

<snip>

This video is HILARIOUS. Burn your tyres to nothing in no time flat--and slow to boot.🤣

Also slides all over in the corners--HA!

My base model Boxster does 0-100 in 4.2!😄and corners at 1G without sliding.

2 hours ago, GregWormald said:

This video is HILARIOUS. Burn your tyres to nothing in no time flat--and slow to boot.🤣

My base model Boxster does 0-100 in 4.2!😄and corners at 1G without sliding.

So the replacement for displacement is....engineering?

On 22/01/2020 at 1:54 PM, blybo said:

. Wife went from a mk 6 GTI to a mk 7 R Wolfsburg purely because the GTI had no traction from standstill or low speeds.

Slightly off-topic, but I recently received a work vehicle and the two front-runners were the Skoda Octavia RS wagon (FWD, 180kW Golf GTI engine) or the Skoda Superb Sportline 206TSI wagon with a slightly detuned 206kW Golf R donk and AWD.

The latter was an easy choice at the end of the day - it's far more of a 'point and shoot' proposition with no fuss and reminds me of the sure-footedness of the AWD turbo Subaru Foresters that I've owned.

2 hours ago, RockandorRoll said:

I would have thought weight alone would make the Octavia a much more interesting and fun proposition. The Superb is an absolute land yacht!

It's no good being 'interesting' if it's simply too small! ;)

Yeah, the Octavia is a bit lighter and more 'chuckable' for sure (1425kg vs 1600kg) but the Superb is within the ballpark of my previous Liberty 3.6R (1620kg) and only a bag of cement heavier than the Golf R Wagon (1570kg). Both the Octavia and R Wagon were on the short list but they are too small - rear legroom is virtually non-existent in the Golf, and despite the slightly longer wheelbase in the Golf-based Octavia, she's still less than spacious. 

Interestingly, the Superb is nearly identical to the Liberty and the Mazda 6 in exterior length, width and wheel track (both of which I've previously had). Looks can be deceiving - it's really not that big of a car when it comes to a sedan or wagon which is suitable for family duties.

The extra power and traction of the Superb 206TSI is very noticeable - it's a second quicker in the 0-100 dash (5.8 secs vs 6.7 secs in the Octavia if you can get traction) and the adjustable dampers, steering and computerised trickery of the Superb (taken straight from the Golf R) do tighten things up quite nicely. 

It's certainly no sports car (and neither is the Octavia RS to be fair) but it does a very acceptable job indeed as a fun family hauler, is a superb grand tourer, and is quite capable in ye olde traffic light grand prix. I do like the more understated external appearance of the Superb vs the Octavia too - no 'RS' badging or red brake calipers to give the game away, and the blacking-out of the external chrome/silver trim on the Sportline model gives a cleaner look IMHO. She's a bit of a sleeper.

skoda1.jpg

skoda2.jpg

skoda3.jpg

skoda4.jpg

skoda5.jpg

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 4
  • Moderators

@PeteMac love the understated looks... the RS can be a bit too lairy...with all the red RS badging inside etc... love the seats etc on the superb..interior .reminds me more holden calais....these are a rather large car though no doubt...good some large car options still exist like this :)

• Like 1
Just now, betty boop said:

@PeteMac love the understated looks... the RS can be a bit too lairy...with all the red RS badging inside etc... love the seats etc on the superb..interior .reminds me more holden calais....these are a rather large car though no doubt...good some large car options still exist like this :)

Indeed - generously-sized wagons are few and far between these days! 

• Like 1
On 22/01/2020 at 1:54 PM, blybo said:

213kw is more than doable if you have a good LSD but it's not HP that spins the wheels, it's torque and even the 228kw TCR has only 400nm which is only 30nm more than the current Mk7.5 GTI.  Driving ability and not using launch control is the secret to getting a GTI off the line quickly. I'm surprised the Mk 6 had no traction considering it's low power and torque.

• Like 2

My base model Boxster does 0-100 in 4.2!😄and corners at 1G without sliding.

So the replacement for displacement is....engineering?

+ getting the basic ingredients right  -  i.e weight distribution + RWD + unadulterated FWS + less FAT... 

• Like 1

The Americans (and some others) seem wedded to the proposal that "bigger is better" and this affects their society in some strange ways--in addition to car design. (I lived next door to them for almost 25 years!)

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, vinilink said:

Front design look like a mean mother!

I'm not of that opinion

ca3bb0898d09072c43cd12f404ba0f36?width=6

Looks more Korean in styling than German. Not a fan of the front but otherwise looks good. Still I feel the wife's next car... if i get any say... will be this

polestar-10_1600x0w.jpg

• Like 2
  • Moderators
51 minutes ago, blybo said:

Looks more Korean in styling than German.

those wheels are an odd combination with rest of styling. looks a bit of a miss mash especially that grill which has a bit of a wallace and gromit going on about it :D 

I somehow suspect this mk8 will have a short life span with ID3 taking on from here and looks a far more cohesive design inside and out. 

• Like 3

Certainly not a fan of the giant honeycomb bottom grill. Looks cheap and as if something is missing.   Looks a bit better in white.

The back of the car looks good. Seats look pretty good as well.

The tiny dsg gear shift is just weird.

Can take or leave the totally buttonless dash - prefer some direct buttons like on the 7.5 for climate control.

glad I bought a fully spec'd 7.5 R last month. 

Edited by metal beat
2 hours ago, metal beat said:

Looks a bit better in white.

Don't all GTI's look better in white and possibly R's as well 🙂

No idea why the default identifying colours for them are red and blue respectively.

The gear shift is weird and no idea how you shift from S to D to S etc. quickly like you have to to drive these things fast in auto mode.

Edited by ArthurDent
33 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

Don't all GTI's look better in white and possibly R's as well 🙂

No idea why the default identifying colours for them are red and blue respectively.

The gear shift is weird and no idea how you shift from S to D to S etc. quickly like you have to to drive these things fast in auto mode.

yea, the gearshift is plain weird.  I luv the full size stick so you quickly yank back to change from D - S and back to D to cruise etc. I use it like a semi manual most of the time.

Lapiz Blue looks great on the R. Blends perfectly with the black grill and flares 😎  

White gets mixed up with 60% of all other Golf's.

Edited by metal beat
4 minutes ago, metal beat said:

yea, the gearshift is plain weird.  I luv the full size stick so you quickly yank back to change from D - S and back to D to cruise etc. I use it like a semi manual most of the time.

Lapiz Blue looks great on the R. Blends perfectly with the black grill and flares 😎  

White gets mixed up with 60% of all other Golf's.

I drive it like that all the time and add in the paddles when I really want to get serious.

Yeah okay the Lapiz Blue looks okay.

Getting mixed up with 60% of all other Golfs is what I like about white 😉

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, RockandorRoll said:

The Golf shifters are the wrong way around though. + should always be down!

Yeah, simple physics, push forward to go down a gear, pull back to go up.

At least the paddles are the right way around.

Don't like the GTI badge directly below the VW. I doubt VW would ever do it, but a purely GTI badged car without the VW anywhere would boost sales IMHO.

23 hours ago, ArthurDent said:

Geneva Motor Show cancelled.

How far will the Covir-19 mass panic go? It has the potential to completely stuff up the world economy yet probably no more threatening the the yearly flu season we all seem to yet through ok. My wife and 1 child were pretty crook with Flu last year but we coped.

7.5 R's globally have been running out the door if you believe the reports as they are still manufacturing them until May.

Most GTI, R owners have been underwelmed with the 8.

I am sure the GTI will look better in person.

I wonder how many crashes will be caused by drivers playing with all the colours choices 😁