audiofeline

Bose to shut all retail stores in Australia

At least they inspired a great song by Joni Mitchel-Bose Sides Now.

She wrote that after attending a party where she found herself sitting on a sofa sandwiched between a pair of Bose 901s .

Edited by THOMO

3 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Never really understood the Bose haters. I love my noise cancelling headphones. I wouldn’t buy their other stuff but there’s a market they appeal to that seems to like what they offer

I have those headphones too, and they are amazing - I adore them - (use them at the gym every day) they are reliable and trouble free and so darn comfy to wear. 

Bose closing retail stores shouldn't be a reflection of how their business is travelling, merely just cutting off the deadwood like many other bricks and mortar retailers are at the moment.

They are one of the best branded products in audio, like them or hate them they have built a semi-luxury brand out of products that are beaten in performance by competitors for less money. But their market don't care about that, they want the brand and slick design before performance.

Genius really and why they will never die, unlike other brands in this industry that have put the focus on performance first and will never have the market share Bose does, Oppo just to name 1.

Did Bose have stores in Australia?

I only remember them in Outlet centres in the USA.

8 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Two that I can think of in Melbourne: one in the emporium and one on latrobe street

39 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Definitely one in Canberra, in an outlet centre though originally in the CBD. Possibly one in Perth.

They used to have a lovely stand alone store on the Gold Coast but that went a few years ago. It was a shame as it was a stunningly set up store.

I am surprised they did not shut shop 15 years ago, surprised that JBL are still alive ( domestic products) due to Harman handling them

The increasing trend of online shopping  appears to be firmly entrenched.   The main advantage is that the manufacturer can grow its market and share the retail margin with the buyer to reduce the items cost. Bose appears to be the first to move across to only selling online in Australia.  Who's next?  The smart money maybe working on how a buyer can listen to Hi-Fi equipment over the internet with the same quality as in a studio, to see what to buy! One hopes that being able to listen to the quality of sound is essential in the online shopping model as it is in Hi-Fi shops - if it has to happen.

There was a Bose store in Perth but are now called Audio-Hub (well i think it's the same store)  had the pleasure of walking past it every footy home game.

They still sell Bose but also Bang Olufsen, Sonos etc.

I own nothing Bose and never had ... have always aspired for retro reasons a set of their 901 speakers....:D

i don’t thinks it’s a reason to rejoice.... it is signalling with yet another major brand closing its physical stores a death of retail...moving to online model where you can’t demo or experience before buying...

...which I would have thought would have been all the more important with Bose :D

2 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Two that I can think of in Melbourne: one in the emporium and one on latrobe street

1 hour ago, JukKluk2 said:

Definitely one in Canberra, in an outlet centre though originally in the CBD. Possibly one in Perth.

Interesting.   Can't remember Sydney having one.

Then again, Sydney is known for better taste in most things, so one can understand why.   😉😁

1 hour ago, MIKE.D79 said:

There was a Bose store in Perth but are now called Audio-Hub (well i think it's the same store)  had the pleasure of walking past it every footy home game.

They still sell Bose but also Bang Olufsen, Sonos etc.

Shut down last year.

3 hours ago, metal beat said:

According to news reports, 8 stores in Australia are to close.

1 hour ago, metal beat said:

Then again, Sydney is known for better taste in most things, so one can understand why.   😉😁

There was a Sony/Bose store in Hornsby Westfield and a few HiFi Stores had Bose Walls or areas. LWA being one of them. I think Phillipe had a wall too down in Melbourne.

Edited by Wimbo

1 hour ago, metal beat said:

There was a store in Neutral Bay in Young st if memory serves me correct.

I think?

54 minutes ago, 5L15 said:

There was a store in Neutral Bay in Young st if memory serves me correct.

I think?

Correct. Shut down some years ago though. From memory called DME?

1 hour ago, Wimbo said:

There was a Sony/Bose store in Hornsby Westfield and a few HiFi Stores had Bose Walls or areas. LWA being one of them. I think Phillipe had a wall too down in Melbourne.

Lifestyle store in Northmead also has a display wall of Bose products some time ago when I went to the store. 

7 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

A lot of US Brands that sell direct typically offer a 30 days "Try in Home" moneyback guarantee. Something like that would likely be enough for most.

This would be great IMO.  

There's a shop on St Kilda Rd/ Punt Rd/ Fitzroy St intersection, Melbourne. I go past there weekly and noticed it a few years back. Might pop in.

22 hours ago, Saxon Hall said:

No Bose hate here. Just a bit of fun.

Their Noise Cancelling headphones are hard to top.

Nura did a good job of it. 

Had one in Adelaide. 

Sad to see yet another retail store group close up shop. Lots of people losing their jobs, making it harder for those already looking. Not good times.

From memory, there used to be a Bose shop in Camberwell (Melbourne).  I think it's been closed for years, probably relocated to one of the locations mentioned above. 

On 17/01/2020 at 11:02 AM, aussievintage said:

Nevertheless I stand by my statement that they sold some truly awful sounding stuff at times.  I remember one system with tiny speakers and a subwoofer that only ever produced one note.  Impressive bass, for about one minute, then boring.

I read an article once that was even more scathing about the cube speakers than this one 

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/the-honest-to-god-truth-about-bose-speakers-amen-165323/

Just considering a monopole 2" driver trying to cover say 80hz -20khz should be enough for a start :$ And the paper cone was not even doped for a bit of stiffness ..

Great marketing for those who for whatever reason just want it to be simple  . I once looked at their exxy media center which couldn't even decode lossless and wondered where all the inputs were ?  They seemed to think that sp dif was all you needed O.o

I hope this may steer people back in some small way to quality properly braced enclosure speakers or home grown  models :)

The wave radio was a clever product utilising a transmission line labyrinth to bulk up the low frequencies ; only bose I appreciated sadly .. Had a nifty little remote and fm presets..

Edited by cwt