Cambridge CXN V2 ... playing album files in incorrect sequence

7 minutes ago, gregmacc said:

thanks Whipped ... so what about wired network connected files on a computer? ... "sees" and plays them too? ... in proper sequence? sort of like JRiver did from my notebook?

yeh for sure local files and streaming from tidal if you do it, brings them all into one place.

Should play them in the right sequence too as it draws album information from a central database.

Free trial may be worth it for you but does require setup just like everything else, so there's still pain!

Just re-reading this, and it seems to me that the CXN is reading music file tags, but either ignoring track numbers, or the track number tag is empty.

You say the files are saved as:

01-The first Song.flac (or.mp3)

02-Another Song.flac

03-Even more Songs.flac

etc.

But they play in order:

Another Song

Even more Songs

The First Song

ie The play alphabetically per Title.

This means the streamer isn't using file names to order the songs, but must be using the "Title" tag in the metadata (ID3 tags). And the reason it is using "Title" is either because the "Track Number" tag is empty, or there is a setting to select "Title" tag as the play order.

Or did I misunderstand what the problem is? LOL

Edit: from memory, you can get the windows file browser to display those ID3 tags in details view, in folder preferences. Then select all folders with similar content to display the same.

Edited by bob_m_54

Just my 2c, but I remember I had a similar issue back during the iTunes days. My music just wouldn't play in order of the album. Tried re-naming the file with numbers in front of them, it didn't make a difference. I had to right click and go into each file and put the track number in the metadata of the file and that solved the problem. Any CD ripped via iTunes didn't need that because iTunes did that for you.

Edited by Cardiiiii

Been away from the keyboard for a while. One thing about roon, aside from its cost, that I did not mention is that you need to run a room server, which can be anything from a (reasonably high end) network attached storage with music in the hard drives, a purpose built roon branded storage device (or a mini PC called a NUC that you install the software on, which is likely very similar, but cheaper), or like me an old computer that you can leave on (I have a 2009 Mac mini which I put a solid state drive and new 2TB hard drive into for about $300- saved throwing it out, and it works really well). The software itself just organises it and presents it to you in an ordered fashion, plus it has info about the albums pulled from the internet. You do have to set it up, but when you do, you can access your music from any device in the house that has airplay or google chromecast- there are likely to be a few of these if you have a new TV, Apple TV, along with other devices. It is pretty cool. You can do lots of upsamplkng and processing of the signal, which can make the system work harder, though that seems to be when people get into trouble. If you just want to stream your music, and can connect it to the CXN v2 with Ethernet as a preference to wifi, it generally just works. 

I agree with bob further up the thread. This seems like a tagging/metadata issue.

Most apps/devices I have played around with seem to be designed to read the “track number” from the metadata of the audio file. It doesn’t matter whether the files are labelled numerically in their file names, what matters is the “track number” allocated to them in their metadata. As mentioned above, if the “track number” part of tagging is missing then the device probably goes to a fall back option which could be alphabetical playback.

I had this problem myself before I figured out the importance of the “track number” section of the tag.

I now use dbpoweramp to rip my music and mp3tag to double check that the correct track numbers are allocated for each track. It can be hard work but you only have to do it once.

Roon could be an option too if you want to take the hassle out of it.

Edited by Xscaper
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

This means the streamer isn't using file names to order the songs, but must be using the "Title" tag in the metadata (ID3 tags). And the reason it is using "Title" is either because the "Track Number" tag is empty, or there is a setting to select "Title" tag as the play order.

Or did I misunderstand what the problem is? LOL

Thanks Bob ... you understood just fine ... apparently tag editing can be done in Windows 10 ... not sure about Windows 7 which I'm using on the notebook where the files are stored.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cardiiiii said:

Any CD ripped via iTunes didn't need that because iTunes did that for you.

... which makes me wonder why Cambridge has not integrated a similar capability with there Streammagic software? ... JRiver appears to do it ... just drag and drop any album folder into the designated music storage folder and it all gets sorted/presented in proper sequence ... Although I have yet to see it in action I expect Roon does the same.

Edited by gregmacc

9 hours ago, Juzbear said:

If you just want to stream your music, and can connect it to the CXN v2 with Ethernet as a preference to wifi, it generally just works. 

Yes, this is all I want to do ... I have network cable connecting the router, CXN and Notebook pc with music albums and JRiver installed (which worked just fine played directly to my USB DAC) ... maybe JRiver can do what Roon can do? ... I was assuming (falsely perhaps), going by the considerable hype associated with the CXN V2, that additional software wouldn't be required. And I guess that's true once the streamer is fed EXACTLY what it requires in terms of file location and metadata.

Edited by gregmacc

3 hours ago, Xscaper said:

I agree with bob further up the thread. This seems like a tagging/metadata issue.

Yes Xscaper ... this seems to be the consensus ... I just need to find the time to bumble my way through trying to wangle the metadata ... for potentially thousands of files. And I already have so many other things to consume my scant free time ... who knew retirement was going to be so busy ? 

Edited by gregmacc

54 minutes ago, gregmacc said:

Yes Xscaper ... this seems to be the consensus ... I just need to find the time to bumble my way through trying to wangle the metadata ... for potentially thousands of files. And I already have so many other things to consume my scant free time ... who knew retirement was going to be so busy ? 

Mp3tag is a free software that allows you to batch manage tags so you don’t have to edit every single song’s metadata separately( you might have to if the tags are completely messed up). It has a pretty straight forward UI as well so you could learn the basics of it very quickly.

I would highly suggest you have at least a curious look at it. If nothing else it’ll show you exactly what’s wrong with your file tags.

Edited by Xscaper
  • Like 2

I use MediaMonkey to organise my files and check track ID3 tags. It has a lot of really good automatic functions, such as auto-tag from file names (and vice versa). If all your files are named track number-title.ext then you could do the lot with one click after entering the criteria for the function.

I have around 1800 albums that I have ripped, and probably another 800 from other sources, and find it an excellent prog for this purpose. I did buy the Gold version, which has a lot more very powerful functions, but I'm sure you could get by with the free version..

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is rather an old topic, but just thought I would add my 10 cents-worth - just had this playing-outof-order issue. Track naming and numbering all consistent, however when using MP3TAG (they're actually FLAC files) I noticed that the album name was inconsistent (but perfectly matched the way that the CXN V2 was presenting them).  I corrected the album name (so they were all the same} and voila - sorting then happened correctly, so the CXN software obviously has some strange algorithms going on - need to ensure that ALL tagging is squeaky-clean and consistent and then all should be good.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 08/08/2021 at 8:46 AM, Avocadopicker said:

This is rather an old topic, but just thought I would add my 10 cents-worth - just had this playing-outof-order issue. Track naming and numbering all consistent, however when using MP3TAG (they're actually FLAC files) I noticed that the album name was inconsistent (but perfectly matched the way that the CXN V2 was presenting them).  I corrected the album name (so they were all the same} and voila - sorting then happened correctly, so the CXN software obviously has some strange algorithms going on - need to ensure that ALL tagging is squeaky-clean and consistent and then all should be good.

Just had this issue with my CA 851N.  FLAC's downloaded hi-res and all the metadata was correct, song names/numbers/albums the songs were from (compilation album), yet the 851N played the songs out of order.

I changed the album metadata to the same album, and presto, songs are played in the correct order.