Cambridge CXN V2 ... playing album files in incorrect sequence

So I've figured out how to get the streamer to see an album that I've put into the "Music" folder on a network connected PC ,,, but when using the Cambridge Connect app on my Android phone the album tracks are listed and played via the CXN in the incorrect sequence ... any hints?

What type of file do you use for your music? Not sure if this is relevant but, back in  the very beginning of my music on a hard drive days, I used to have everything stored as a WAV. file. When I used iTunes as the playback programme all of my albums played in reverse order. It was an incompatibility between WAV. and iTunes. I re-ripped everything as a FLAC file and that problem was solved. I ditched iTunes shortly afterwards and used Sonos, which is very good when it comes to usability (I wish that they had the same point of view as regards to sound quality, though).

Anyway, it could have something to do with whatever file type you're using and how you play it back. Or, it might not. That's the full extent of my knowledge on the subject, I hope it is of some use.

Best of luck.

It could be a metadata or song titling issue.  I've never had this issue when using the CA Connect app, but when I rip my songs I title them accordingly -

"Track Number   Artist   Song Title" so "01 Angels, The - No Secrets", "02 Angels, The - Poor Baby".

Edited by Kaynin

9 hours ago, gregmacc said:

So I've figured out how to get the streamer to see an album that I've put into the "Music" folder on a network connected PC ,,, but when using the Cambridge Connect app on my Android phone the album tracks are listed and played via the CXN in the incorrect sequence ... any hints?

In what order are they showing? Alphabetical? Other?

Each to their own but this and other issues is why I’ve given up on keeping my own music libraries, should be easy, should work, but doesn’t always!

Thought I’d give it another go recently and the issues I had were just plain ridiculous in this day and age, no more time to deal with it like I did 15 years ago. 

9 hours ago, Kaynin said:

It could be a metadata or song titling issue.  I've never had this issue when using the CA Connect app, but when I rip my songs I title them accordingly -

"Track Number   Artist   Song Title" so "01 Angels, The - No Secrets", "02 Angels, The - Poor Baby".

Thanks Kaynin .... The album is a HDTracks album download complete with a PDF file containing album art etc.

It is supplied as a folder named "Album Artist" ... within that folder is another folder containing the actual FLAC files called "Album Name" and the PDF file. The FLAC files are labelled numerically:

01 - File name

02 - File name

03 - File name

etc

... Are you saying that for each and every FLAC file in each of my over 500 albums I'm going to need to label them as you are suggesting? 

34 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Each to their own but this and other issues is why I’ve given up on keeping my own music libraries, should be easy, should work, but doesn’t always!

Thought I’d give it another go recently and the issues I had were just plain ridiculous in this day and age, no more time to deal with it like I did 15 years ago. 

Thanks Whipped ... starting to think the same ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gregmacc said:

Thanks Kaynin .... The album is a HDTracks album download complete with a PDF file containing album art etc.

It is supplied as a folder named "Album Artist" ... within that folder is another folder containing the actual FLAC files called "Album Name" and the PDF file. The FLAC files are labelled numerically:

01 - File name

02 - File name

03 - File name

etc

... Are you saying that for each and every FLAC file in each of my over 500 albums I'm going to need to label them as you are suggesting? 

Maybe. 

Check the metadata in each file and see if they're numerical like the song title.  This may be the issue in that the app may be loading files up alphabetically or some other method, and not numerically.  If you look at the metadata and think you can update it so each track runs numerically, then test it just with one album.  If that sorts your issue out then, yes, you'd have to do the same to the entire collection.  Or re-rip...

The Cambridge app leaves a lot to be desired. It refused to play many of my FLAC files on a CXN streamer, with networked HDD, at all...as I mentioned in previous posts. I wasted countless hours trying to make things work.

The problem is now solved completely.

Here is what it took:

1.  4 solid hours of work by my son-in-law who is a professional IT consultant

2. A complete re-visiting of all the network and 'names' and addresses/permissions associated with the Cambridge [AND it was always the Cambridge that was the problem]

3. A reorganisation of my HDD contents so as to be under the control of KODI interface

4. Playing the FLAC files by selecting 'Video' on the KODI options (nothing else would work!)

I can't tell you how many tricks he used and tried because he types at blinding speed and uses DOS mostly. What I noticed is that he immediately discovered that it was a network/CXN issue. And of course he knows what parts of the different digital architecture does what. Then he bends it to his will, makes work-arounds, and it submits---and stays that way! Miracle.

My Linksys Mesh private network is supposed to be idiot-proof but when it malfunctioned after a Windows update recently the ease of installation became a distant memory.

I do know that if it were up to me only I would have ended up using the CXN only for internet radio, as that is problem-free for me...and just go back to CDs. I just could not do it myself and could not afford to have so much consulting time (if I didn't have the resident genius). Am I the only one in this pickle??

Now I am wondering all over again why this kind of esoteric digital knowledge is meant to be mine if I am a digital audio owner; I can tell you frankly I don't have it! I'm currently enjoying my digital files now that they work, but not so much that using that part of my system is now what it was before. I have returned mostly to the glories of FM and my turntable and have forsaken all hope of understanding modern digital problems.

Don't ask my opinion of companies that pretend to issue audio products that are actually temperamental computers in disguise.

In case you can't tell, nothing makes me more cranky than a complex digital problem from a poorly-designed unit (I call it that IF IT WON"T WORK EASILY). ?

• Like 1

On 17/01/2020 at 8:58 AM, Kaynin said:

Maybe. 

Check the metadata in each file and see if they're numerical like the song title.  This may be the issue in that the app may be loading files up alphabetically or some other method, and not numerically.  If you look at the metadata and think you can update it so each track runs numerically, then test it just with one album.  If that sorts your issue out then, yes, you'd have to do the same to the entire collection.  Or re-rip...

Please excuse the lack of digital knowledge, but ... I'm not sure how to "check the metadata" ... and, how can metadata be edited?

Have a look here, there are heaps of editors about.

Music Metadata Editors

Personally I use a full management package called MediaMonkey. I have the gold (paid) version and it's very powerful. If you're only viewing and editing tags, then one of the free progs suitable for your computer OS will do.

I rip all my CD's with dBpoweramp.  I don't know if that adds metadata editing or it's a Windows function, but this is what I check for -

Song number is correct in the folder listing -

Capture.PNG.e8c8f3700293e9bd90996b672c54e686.PNG

Also, when I right mouse click on a song and select "EDIT ID-TAG".  This allows me to edit the song numbers (not related to the song title numbering I mentioned earlier).

Thanks Bob and Kaynin ... I will have a play around with your suggestions ... but I must admit I'm seriously contemplating selling the CXN and reverting back to the notebook laptop and JRiver ... so much less faffing around ... 

In case I have disillusioned too many members: when the CXN is working it sounds fine--really good. I have high standards. It meets them.

Now ask me if I am confident that it will work on any given day.

In the 2 years I have owned it my IT genius has had to 'bail me out' at least 5 times...and my so-called digital education is for nothing when it doesn't work. The hundreds of hours I have wasted after thinking: "How hard can it be?" I'll never get back, but I often know the actual answer. VERY hard. I swear that digital gear has a mind of its own within that is capricious.

I notice that confusion is the order of the day with many digital problems mentioned on this Forum; the solutions are usually quite beyond me. Just read any forum on the Net where owners ask for help with computer problems

The obvious answer is a less-complicated interface OR accessibility to a tech who could fix it ??remotely...or organise a download 'patch'?? I suppose that Windows would cease to function without all the constant updates and fixes. On that note I have had a lot of success previously playing digital files from a computer/laptop without streaming. There is something about a streamer with network that opens the door to gremlins, in my opinion.

I don't castigate cartridge manufacturers who make MC cartridges that are beyond my skills to adjust completely properly--because I can get someone to do it and then I'm happy for a long time. I have soldering skills, but no electronics know how, so it's just simple tasks for me. I believe everyone needs a good electronics tech/tuning tech/advice tech (see SNA Forum requests).

So, if you have a digital interface that works well for you then that must be the main one. I am persisting with the CXN because I know my son in law is on call. [IF there were a simple and doable alternative to him then I would use that, because it's embarrassing to lean so heavily on him for all things digital.]

On mature reflection I think much of my ire is directed towards the utterly digital-savvy inventors and support team who don't seem to realise that (after 5 minutes of my trying) that I have no idea how to implement their complex suggestions. I certainly have the feeling that I have been left behind in the digital revolution but in my defence I think it's nowhere near a mature technology...obviously they can make it work.

If a paying customer can't fix the product easily then what is the use of the product?

Just my 2c worth. Off to the therapist soon...

I think that the reality of these players is they are optimised to stream, or use internet radio, and for those who have local collections, we have pretty basic apps that tend to be glitchy at times. This is why I pay my dues to have a service like Roon (you can use plex too, I think, though it is not as neat), which puts all my music files back into something that looks like an album I can hold in my hand! But... it costs, so if spending the price of a few albums per year gets your goat, stuck with the local app. Otherwise, get on board.

Justin

• Like 1

I suspect people's issues with streaming thier local libraries over a network aren't isolated to just the CXN, it just happens to be the streaming device they are trying to use.

Given the variables involved and the fact that everyone's home networking setups are different, a grain of salt is required digesting individual experiences, just because it happens to one person,  doesn't mean it's going to happen to everyone.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

I suspect people's issues with streaming thier local libraries over a network aren't isolated to just the CXN, it just happens to be the streaming device they are trying to use.

Given the variables involved and the fact that everyone's home networking setups are different, a grain of salt is required digesting individual experiences, just because it happens to one person,  doesn't mean it's going to happen to everyone.

I think you might be right.

I just wish that somehow I was one of those who get make it all smooth

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, doogie44 said:

I think you might be right.

I just wish that somehow I was one of those who get make it all smooth

Yeh I know how you feel but I also know the pain but in other ways, the machine you rip on, the file format, the router, wi-fi/Ethernet they all play a role in making it painfull.

im with @Juzbear and have made the decision the best way forward for me is streaming, eliminates most of the frustrations and gives me my time back (I've wasted thousands of hours over about 20 years on PC based music).

that said everyone is different and that's the beauty of this "hobby"!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Juzbear said:

This is why I pay my dues to have a service like Roon (you can use plex too, I think, though it is not as neat), which puts all my music files back into something that looks like an album I can hold in my hand!

... thanks for chiming in Justin ... just for the not so digital savvy amongst us could you briefly explain what Roon is and how it could be used to solve my/our, local/networked music playing problems with the CXN ...

Edited by gregmacc

22 minutes ago, gregmacc said:

... thanks for chiming in Justin ... just for the not so digital savvy amongst us could you briefly explain what Roon is and how it could be used to solve my/our, local/networked music playing problems with the CXN ...

https://roonlabs.com

https://blog.roonlabs.com/roon-partner-update-july-2019/

Have not used it but:

Basically software that collates all of your music including TIDAL if you stream and puts in a pretty user friendly app that you use as a remote to search and play for tunes. Part fo the set-up is to include an "end point" (device that it will play from) which your CXN is, or I believe you can also use "Airplay" and "Chromecast" to get the music to the machine.