Records - New or 2nd hand

My experiences have me preferring a NM vintage LP over a new reissue every time. I have found that some reissues are not an improvement on the original, even some MOFI reissues are no better than the original and are actually worse (Silver Label) as they don't always use the original analogues master tapes.

I receive far more warped new LP's than I do warped vintage LP's. I request refunds on a higher proportion of new LP's than I do for vintage LP's.

Having said that, some new reissues sound fantastic and I have quite a few......but all of my original vintage LP's (with one or two exceptions) also sound fantastic.

Make of that what you will.....?

• Like 2

It's hard to pass an interesting record in good condition for $1 in an op shop, compared to $30/40/50+ for a new LP with probable faults.  If the op shop record doesn't turn out to be very good, it's at least a donation to charity.

• Like 5

I prefer to buy VGC second-hand for up to $15 than new for $40 - $50. Sometimes I buy a $50 LP and then find I don't like it so much. If I do that with a $12 LP it's no great loss. I can afford to check out stuff I am not so familiar with if I'm only dropping a small amount on a purchase. I've picked up some fantastic LPs by just taking a punt. Sometimes I win - sometimes I lose, but I also just enjoy ferreting through record stores for LPs that you just can't buy anymore. 

• Like 2

On 16/01/2020 at 12:44 PM, Peter-E said:

What do people prefer
A good antique or the more modern pressings?

Have you already got your own vintage collection?

Starting from none and building up in second hand would be very expensive. Very few old records in great condition are selling for the price of a new replacement...sadly.

Complimenting an existing collection or filling in gaps with used it possible.

If you really want old the cheapest way would be to wait for Japan flights to come on special and go and shopping in Japan.

Buying used demands some kind of record cleaning gear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mobydick said:

I prefer to buy VGC second-hand for up to $15 than new for $40 - $50. Sometimes I buy a $50 LP and then find I don't like it so much. If I do that with a $12 LP it's no great loss. I can afford to check out stuff I am not so familiar with if I'm only dropping a small amount on a purchase. I've picked up some fantastic LPs by just taking a punt. Sometimes I win - sometimes I lose, but I also just enjoy ferreting through record stores for LPs that you just can't buy anymore. 

Already finding I'm paying more for new than other sites say they are worth.
TheWall for example I paid $120 NEW then found it a few days later for $60 NEW.
Pays to shop around

I am a bit fussy and tend to look at each secondhand records closely that I am about to purchase i.e. with the sellers permission, take them out of their sleeves. Even then, it is difficult to see some of the micro scratches. I tend to stay away from records that have been popular in the past because they tend to be badly treated perhaps due to their high usage. I have picked up a few rare gems from private owners and SH record sellers. I always find Jazz LPs in better condition SH than rock or popular LPs. My max per record is $15 but have paid $40 for an LP due to its rarity and excellent condition.

• Like 1

+1 for Basie 

The rhythm that keeps the world spinning on its axis, is how my dad introduced it to me. 

I can't recommend specific LPs as my exposure is a hodge podge of hand me down compilation CDs. I favour the late 30s Decca material: GREAT band and fresh arrangements. Sound quality isn't top shelf, but I don't find it distractingly bad either. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, Peter-E said:

I'd actually like to get some big band stuff?
Recommendations?

To get excellent SQ & artistic merit I'd suggest the best steal out there is Pablo Records or Capitol Records.

Edited by shawnwes
  • Like 1