Sign in to follow this  
mattjtaylor2809

55” Sony x95G or Samsung Q75

Not sure I have the model numbers correct but I’ve whittled it down to these x2 panels as my budget is pretty much $2k.

I do have a pretty big room of which a 65” would probably work better (I’m sat about 3.5 mtrs from the screen) but I have a 110” screen with PJ so 55” & $2k will do.

The room is normally pretty dark so I shouldn’t have issues with reflections.

In terms of content, mainly sport via Fox plus Netflix & I will invest in a 4K player once I’ve bought the TV.

My preference is the Sony as it seems to have a more natural colour tone to it, I find Samsung a bit over gained but I know this can be fine tuned.

So, if my No 1 priority is no judder or blur watching HD sport on Fox, which is the better panel?

Any others I should look at?

Cheers

Matt

Edited by mattjtaylor2809
Spelling

Q70, if you could strech the budget or wait for discount I would definitely go 65” for such distance, they are around $2100 right now in my country so I assume it’s just matter of time 

Is the Q70 the same as the Q75? It’s very confusing 

I would say so, US/EU marking is Q70/80/90R, not sure how it translate to AU marking

I picked up a 65" Sony 95G for a bit less than $2k a couple of weeks ago.  I've seen the prices rise a bit since then but since these TVs are about to be superseded by the new models introduced at the CES, prices will inevitably come back down again.  I'd wait, I doubt if it will be long.

I'd definitely go the 65" over the 55".  There's not a lot of difference in price and a BIG difference in the impact of the screen.  As to the Sony, I reckon it's excellent.  The bloke at the store (HN) was pushing the Samsung but once I got him to take both sets of the ubiquitous "Vivid" setting, I thought the Sony looked the more natural.  And there is no judder or blur whatsoever when watching sport on FTA HD.  I can't comment on Fox or Kayo since I don't have them.

Edited by brumby

Both are in the same category and quality/price, main difference is (quoting rtings.com) :

The Sony X950G and the Samsung Q70R both have very similar performance. The Sony X950G has marginally better reflections, which is great if you have a room with many light sources. The Samsung Q70R, on the other hand, delivers deep and more uniform blacks in a dark room, thanks to the high contrast ratio and excellent black uniformity.

Thanks....I have read the Rtings reviews but its for the Q70 not the 75 which I think is a newer model but hard to find out any comparisons.

We do have a 4K 65" Samsung we purchased a few years back (I think the old 8 series) which I've never been that impressed with as it just seems to over gained & then when you try to dial a back a bit, it then doesn't look right....I like the more natural colour on the Sony BUT RTing's review suggests the Q70 sport performance is slightly better?

Cheers

Mat

46 minutes ago, brumby said:

I picked up a 65" Sony 95G for a bit less than $2k a couple of weeks ago.  I've seen the prices rise a bit since then but since these TVs are about to be superseded by the new models introduced at the CES, prices will inevitably come back down again.  I'd wait, I doubt if it will be long.

I'd definitely go the 65" over the 55".  There's not a lot of difference in price and a BIG difference in the impact of the screen.  As to the Sony, I reckon it's excellent.  The bloke at the store (HN) was pushing the Samsung but once I got him to take both sets of the ubiquitous "Vivid" setting, I thought the Sony looked the more natural.  And there is no judder or blur whatsoever when watching sport on FTA HD.  I can't comment on Fox or Kayo since I don't have them.

Thanks Brumby, just what I wanted to hear.

I think places like HN have Samsung reps in-bedded in there staff so no wonder they push them!

there's huge difference between Samsung TV levels in terms of quality, even going from Q60 to Q70 is like buying completely different TV from different manufacturer 

Q70 is the latest 2019 model, just checked Samsung AU and in your country Q70 = Q75

https://www.samsung.com/au/tvs/qled-4k-tv/

you won't make a mistake with any of those 2, even better if you can see them in real before you buy  

Ok, that makes sense so I can compare the Q70/Q75 & the Sony 950G.

Thanks once again.

Matt