Anti Skate

So I'm a newbie and it seems having trouble setting anti skate.

As per the instruction for the VM95EN stylus my weight is set at 2 gms. The manual says set anti skate to the same on the dial. But I'm losing the right channel at times
I read to set the stylus on a blank section of a record and see if it skates. It did, towards the outside edge. 
So I adjusted the anti skate till the stylus does not move on a stopped record (now at 1.5 approx).

Bit it seems I am still getting channel drop outs.

Have I set it right? 

Edited by Peter-E

The use of a blank section of a vinyl disc is a an invalid method of setting anti skate. For a basic reason for this statement,  consider that the stylus tip is a single  point contact which will encounter different frictional  drag forces in comparison to a stylus with two points  contacting a 'V' shaped groove.   There can be other reasons for the right channel dropping out such as intermittent connections, high bearing friction and possibly a worn out stylus

8 minutes ago, VanArn said:

The use of a blank section of a vinyl disc is a an invalid method of setting anti skate. For a basic reason for this statement,  consider that the stylus tip is a single  point contact which will encounter different frictional  drag forces in comparison to a stylus with two points  contacting a 'V' shaped groove.   There can be other reasons for the right channel dropping out such as intermittent connections, high bearing friction and possibly a worn out stylus

Thanks. This is a brand new TT. Only weeks old.

1 hour ago, Peter-E said:

it seems I am still getting channel drop outs

I am no expert but I would suspect anti skate might not be the problem.

I would think anti skate set not right would be a constant problem rather than drop out.

But I'm losing the right channel at times

I would check cables and cartridge( small wires to headshell) properly connected to the arm ect.

Edited by Hazzzy
  • Like 2

So, exclude the worn stylus and add  check that the overhang adjustment has  been correctly set with a protractor. Is  this an  original  Audio Technica cartridge that came with the turntable and what make of T.T. is it  ?  You may be justified in returning it to the store for testing.

1 minute ago, VanArn said:

So, exclude the worn stylus and add  check that the overhang adjustment has  been correctly set with a protractor. Is  this an  original  Audio Technica cartridge that came with the turntable and what make of T.T. is it  ?  You may be justified in returning it to the store for testing.

It's all original TT is at-lp120xusb
Protractor is coming tomorrow I hope

33 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I have never heard a channel drop out because of anti-skate.  I very much doubt that is the problem

I emailed Audio Technica. they sent a link to a TT setup. The video included setting anti skate.
I read a number of links in google that said it can cause drop out as the needle is aligned to the top side of the groove more than sitting in the middle touching both walls

Edited by Peter-E

Just now, Peter-E said:

I emailed Audio Technica. they sent a link to a TT setup. The video included setting anti skate.
I read a number of links in google that said it can cause drop out as the needle is aligned to the inside of the groove more than sitting in the middle touching both walls

Sorry, but I still don't believe you ever hear a dropout because of it.  At most, you might hear some minor mistracking in the form of sibilance or something.  Not even on the cheapest record player that tracks badly and has no anti-skate have I ever heard one channel dropout, unless there was some other major problem.

• Like 1

So you have intermittent channel drop-out? Does it always occur in a particular circumstance (eg same place on the record)?

I strongly suspect it is not related to anti-skating setting. It might be theoretically possible, but in all my years I've never seen it result in a channel dropping out entirely.

Any kind of troubleshooting has to be orderly.

Even make a list and work thru it.

Yes, check your cartridge wires,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, andrewinbriz said:

So you have intermittent channel drop-out? Does it always occur in a particular circumstance (eg same place on the record)?

I strongly suspect it is not related to anti-skating setting. It might be theoretically possible, but in all my years I've never seen it result in a channel dropping out entirely.

Any kind of troubleshooting has to be orderly.

Even make a list and work thru it.

Yes, check your cartridge wires,

The most likely cause of a channel dropping out is indeed electrical wiring, or contacts.

11 minutes ago, Peter-E said:

I'll check overhang and wiring tonight. My protractor should arrive today

If you have a removable headshell, remove it and clean the contacts.  Same for the cartridge leads/connectors.  Inspect them carefully.  You might even need to tighten them, especially if they have been reused from a previous cartridge.

31 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

If you have a removable headshell, remove it and clean the contacts.  Same for the cartridge leads/connectors.  Inspect them carefully.  You might even need to tighten them, especially if they have been reused from a previous cartridge.

this is a brand new TT since Dec. My Xmas present to me :)
All original atm. 
I will check all wiring tonight.

If you are removing the cartridge leads (to clean the pins/clips and then re-connect), be patient and careful. I use either tweezers or very small needle nose pliers, underneath a bright magnified light, to gently ease off the clips.

Some tonearm wiring, even on more expensive than entry level decks, is absurdly fragile, so take your time and be gentle.

32 minutes ago, andrewinbriz said:

If you are removing the cartridge leads (to clean the pins/clips and then re-connect), be patient and careful. I use either tweezers or very small needle nose pliers, underneath a bright magnified light, to gently ease off the clips.

Some tonearm wiring, even on more expensive than entry level decks, is absurdly fragile, so take your time and be gentle.

exRAAF electronics technician.:)

• Like 1

Hopefully the problem is now fixed.
I've run 4 records through it and no drop channel
I removed the headshell and checked wires. Removed and reseated
Rebalanced and set antiskate and VT to 2gms.

Also put phono on and plugged back into phono on the receiver.

It was plugged into the CD as per instructions.

So far so good.

Thanks all for the help

Also put phono on and plugged back into phono on the receiver.

It was plugged into the CD as per instructions.

Sorry - don't quite understand what you're trying to say, Peter??

You had your phono cable plugged into the wrong input RCAs on your receiver?

If so (it was plugged into the CD input) ... how come the instructions said to do this?

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

If so (it was plugged into the CD input) ... how come the instructions said to do this?

Andy

I read to by pass phono amp and plug into the CD jacks and set to line. to use the receiver. I found many instructions advising to do so

11 hours ago, andyr said:

Andy

From my receiver manual

Capture.JPG

1 minute ago, aussievintage said:

That looks correct.

This is now how it's connected but I originally connected as per the note. 
This does not explain why I had channels dropout though.