Franken-Horn

kranky

Here are some progress pics of my build to date.

And one pic of the finished horn which i built a couple of week's ago.

This is scaled down version of a test build for a pair of HPD 385 Tannoys, The speakers used here are a pair of Mark Audio Alpair 7.3 Enabled from Planet 10.

I thought i would build the scaled down version out of left over ply and recycled timber to work out how i was going to actually put the horn together before committing to building the large version.

Steve.

2 - 1 (21).jpeg

2 - 1 (19).jpeg

2 - 1 (18).jpeg

2 - 1 (17).jpeg

2 - 1 (16).jpeg

2 - 1 (13).jpeg

2 - 1 (14).jpeg

2 - 1 (8).jpeg

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, kranky said:

Here are some progress pics of my build to date.

And one pic of the finished horn which i built a couple of week's ago.

This is scaled down version of a test build for a pair of HPD 385 Tannoys, The speakers used here are a pair of Mark Audio Alpair 7.3 Enabled from Planet 10.

I thought i would build the scaled down version out of left over ply and recycled timber to work out how i was going to actually put the horn together before committing to building the large version.

Steve.

2 - 1 (21).jpeg

2 - 1 (19).jpeg

2 - 1 (18).jpeg

2 - 1 (17).jpeg

2 - 1 (16).jpeg

2 - 1 (13).jpeg

2 - 1 (14).jpeg

2 - 1 (8).jpeg

Nice finish. Looks well made. 

• Like 1

Thank's Mark I'm pleased with the outcome in the look but the sound these little critters put out is the surprise, way better than they should for a speaker not much bigger than a tweeter.

Linc Nice to see you still around on the forum how are you going with your projects.

Steve.

The curves are made up from a number of pieces of timber 20mmx20mm with a 3 degree off 90 and each piece is glued together in the routed rebate to form the curve, That's the easy bit.

Then sand the curves so they are smooth, the next step is to fit each piece over a profile cutting compound mitres at both ends of the timber to fit against the curves.

I will be doing the next step in a couple of days and will show how it's done, or pics at least.

Steve.

2 - 1 (25).jpeg

2 - 1 (26).jpeg

2 - 1 (24).jpeg

Sam, Good to hear from you, Have you moved to the Big Island.

Building these Horn's!!. This is what happens if you wear the tin foil hat for too long.

As for being solid that is the timber i have on hand recycled and all.(see pic)

Might have to look into a Gtg in the future, i would like some opinions on how these horn's sound to others.

I have a pair of Sonido SFR 200 AINiCo drivers and will build the same type of horn to house them as well as the Tannoys. (might need to finish the renos first)

Steve.

2 - 1 (28).jpeg

2 - 1 (27).jpeg

Thank's Sam it's been well worth the exercise.

What can i say, I hate plaster!!!

And here is where i got the idea for my version with the added extra at the front( hence the Franken-Horn).

It's not practical for me to place the horn's in a corner at the time being but seeing as my wife has claimed these for her studio, in the future they will be placed in a corner.

The 15" JBL driver's are some of Bill Darts handy work from a few years back.

Steve.

7A369EE0-8ACC-4865-9DDE-9552774299E2.jpeg

2 - 1 (33).jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Thought an update on the horn's might be of interest.

After Dave brought up that the Franken's will not go down very low got me thinking about how i might increase the bottom end a little.

And also Sam asked how they sound in a corner, not having any useable corners in the room.

Thought i would add a chamber with the exit running parallel to the wall.

I did not expect the change this has made.

2 - 1 (60).jpeg

2 - 1 (61).jpeg

2 - 1 (62).jpeg

• Like 6

And here is the other one done.

What started out as an exercise to work out how to form the radius curves on the speaker for another project has shown me how good these Mark Audio 7.3 Alpair speakers are.

In the end i have blundered my way into a Fullrange speaker box with 3 different points for the sound to exit at different frequencies and also the wall comes into play.

Steve.

2 - 1 (63).jpeg

2 - 1 (68).jpeg

2 - 1 (65).jpeg

2 - 1 (66).jpeg

2 - 1 (69).jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Yes!!!  40 plus years of working with timber has it's advantages.

This project has been a big learning curve for me, I've always been someone who believes that cubic inches rule well not anymore.

Look forward to having you visit Sam.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2020 at 1:09 PM, kranky said:

I've always been someone who believes that cubic inches rule well not anymore.

Welcome to the alternative club.

A lot of advocates for big cubes will not be swayed. I also used to think this way.

I have since learnt that wave manipulation correctly applied, can yield some very impressive results indeed.

You have 3 separate ones going on here, working well together to achieve a big sound. ...........WELL DONE!

Now you just have to repeat it for a 15" driver. You may find that it can propel Tasmania closer to the equator.     :brr: >> :cool:

Enjoyed this thread very much.   Thanks.

• Like 1

Sam,   Yes these little critters defy logic, Big Sound is a very apt description. 

I'm going to call this baby version "The Fly Catcher" as the couple of people that have heard them sit there with their mouths open in disbelief.

It has me thinking do i need to build the big version for the 15" Tannoys, but in the end that itch will need to be scratched but not before building the mid version for the 8" Sonido Fullrangers.

These horns are very time consuming to build (around 100 hours) well worth it for a Looney like Me and you have seen my foil covered helmet!

As for propelling Tasmania closer to the Equator I would sooner move Tasmania closer to New Zealand and away from the big island above.

Steve.?

• Haha 1

Dirk, yes i must say it was very enjoyable, it would be nice to catch up with a few fellow Tasmanian SNA members ( maybe even some pesky mainlanders) after the covid issues have eased.

Steve.

• Like 1

Dirk, The bay is full of mussels and one of the better spots to collect them is out the front of Parkside(a little cleaner than at the wharf).

The Blue Tier bike track reopened a couple of weeks ago much to the joy of the MTB riders, I read in the local paper two new tracks at Flagstaff to open soon.

Seems as though this region of Tasmania has become a bit of a mecca for MTB riders.

Steve.

• Like 1