Wharfedale Owners & Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, The_Doctor said:

Don’t try an explain the duality of man (or perhaps AI?) in a picture, Dave...

I’m just sayin, if I touch those wharfedales I might just have an epiphany and kill some hairy bastard with a bone  for them. 

Edited by Guest
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So after 25 years Ive returned to the Wharefdale family.   Elysian 4 (Gloss Black)  

The Lintons are very photogenic!!!    

As you're based over East it makes better sense to contact the distributor (AV Revolution) for your nearest dealer, who should be able to look after you with audition/pricing. You asked for an opinion

15 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Lintons at the end of a lm805ia would be fun 

Have done this with the little a Dentons and the results are stunning. Even the LM-34 runs the Lintons well.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

There is something truly magical about the Lintons, so I decided to acquire a pair in addition to the Elysians...

Second system begins...

_MAY0090.jpg

• Like 5

Anyone done any comparative listens between the Linton's and the Evo 4.4s?  Seems like a fairer fight given the size and price of the Lintons and would be really interested in how they compare.  (I know it's like comparing V8 to Tesla but I'm interested!)

I'm also contemplating a change of speakers, was looking at the 4.2 and 4.3, not sure if thats stepping up or back from my current Wharfedale Diamond 9.5s.

Not many reviews as mentioned, but I suppose in the end it's personal preference anyways. Been giving the 9.5s a good work out this week and will try get into FP hifi this coming weekend

On 22/06/2020 at 11:10 AM, fergal m said:

Anyone done any comparative listens between the Linton's and the Evo 4.4s?  Seems like a fairer fight given the size and price of the Lintons and would be really interested in how they compare.  (I know it's like comparing V8 to Tesla but I'm interested!)

Well I have and hence the decision above...😉

I'm also contemplating a change of speakers, was looking at the 4.2 and 4.3, not sure if thats stepping up or back from my current Wharfedale Diamond 9.5s.

Not many reviews as mentioned, but I suppose in the end it's personal preference anyways. Been giving the 9.5s a good work out this week and will try get into FP hifi this coming weekend

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Recently bought a pair of Lintons in mahogany, still breaking them in and experimenting with positioning but loving them!

Agree there's something magical about them, I find myself forgetting about how they 'sound' and just letting them fill the room with music.

Having a setup that allows me to just spend hours getting lost in music was my main aim for this system (rather than critical listening).

FWIW I'm still using a sub to fill the sub 40hz range but it's not required for a lot of music. Very happy with my purchase.

• Like 2
On 24/05/2020 at 6:52 PM, TDK said:

I’m just sayin, if I touch those wharfedales I might just have an epiphany and kill some hairy bastard with a bone  for them. 

Neither Miker G nor Sven would approve of that outcome.

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/05/2020 at 7:34 PM, frodo said:

Listening to and loving my new Lintons, Am rediscovering albums (CD's) and listening to the whole album ! 

These out of the box are great and am sure will get better. 

Find myself sitting to listen to a song, and an hour later am still listening and time has disappeared 

Please forgive my ent unit and haphazard acoustic foam ( playing around with placement).

Am about to make a new ent unit .

IMG_1166.jpeg

Hi,

for me this is the very definition of a great system - you can't stop listening to the music - well done - too many people lose sight of this....

cheers

Cameron

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/08/2020 at 5:50 PM, Cammyboy0_0 said:

Hi,

for me this is the very definition of a great system - you can't stop listening to the music - well done - too many people lose sight of this....

cheers

Cameron

Hey @Cammyboy0_0, looking at your picture, your speakers are on opposite sides as recommended by Wharefdale. The logos are meant to face inward. Of course you may have tried them that way already and preferred them the way you have 'em!

11 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Hey @Cammyboy0_0, looking at your picture, your speakers are on opposite sides as recommended by Wharefdale. The logos are meant to face inward. Of course you may have tried them that way already and preferred them the way you have 'em!

Hi,

this is actually @frodo system-  your comment will be useful information for Wharfedale owners to double check their set up so thanks for sharing.

cheers

Cameron

Another ecstatic Linton owner here... had them in the system for just under 5 months now and couldn't be happier. 

They sound extraordinary paired with the Marantz 33 x 250M

IMG_0593.jpg.40ed528247e3e1b51121c59574644b01.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Maxi said:

How I’ve listened to mine hope I’ve read right 

D820C5C2-4C2B-4B53-B86B-4D9DB4126E70.png

This is at odds with how the speakers are presented in their boxes. The boxes have a "L" and "R" sticker on the outside, as well as a sticker on the top of each speaker "sock" confirming that the logo on each speaker are on the inside of the soundstage, unlike the image above.

EVO 4.3's here....

must admit they sounded awful straight out of the box but changed beyond recognition after a few days running in....

IMG_2200.thumb.jpg.ec7512003fef5c4de5d225f4fe1e5ceb.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Dawso8 said:

Another ecstatic Linton owner here... had them in the system for just under 5 months now and couldn't be happier. 

They sound extraordinary paired with the Marantz 33 x 250M

IMG_0593.jpg.40ed528247e3e1b51121c59574644b01.jpg

Nice system! I recently bought a Marantz 140 and picking up a 3220 this weekend to go with my Lintons ☺️

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, likewiise said:

Nice system! I recently bought a Marantz 140 and picking up a 3220 this weekend to go with my Lintons ☺️

Nice! You won’t be disappointed, Marantz feeding the Linton’s is a match made in heaven!

• Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Dawso8 said:

Nice! You won’t be disappointed, Marantz feeding the Linton’s is a match made in heaven!

Yeah can’t wait 👌🏻 Will report back. Also just realised we’re connected on IG (edseven). Beautiful system 🙏🏻

2 hours ago, likewiise said:

Yeah can’t wait 👌🏻 Will report back. Also just realised we’re connected on IG (edseven). Beautiful system 🙏🏻

Thanks man! I love it so much. That Marantz bug bites hard once you’re in!

ha awesome, love those Linton’s 

• 3 months later...
On 12/02/2020 at 11:24 AM, SoundGuy said:

Any other Linton owner out there? What do u think? Out of the box, they sound nice already. I can only imagine how much better they will be once they run in. 

The Linton's are great. The bass is great when paired with the Naim Uniti Atom.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Hydrology: Your pics of the Linton is very encouraging. I’ve been trying to figure it out how they perform in a small room and mainly the distance from the side wall. I have very little room on both sides. Less than half a feet. Will that be workable? I have about 1 feet from the rear wall. Your thoughts?

8 minutes ago, BrownMagic said:

@Hydrology: Your pics of the Linton is very encouraging. I’ve been trying to figure it out how they perform in a small room and mainly the distance from the side wall. I have very little room on both sides. Less than half a feet. Will that be workable? I have about 1 feet from the rear wall. Your thoughts?

Its not an ideal location and it wont be their final resting place either, but the Lintons keep surprising me and this location is no different - they work very well even with the left side speaker hard up in that corner. This room (being the bedroom) is more the easy listening side of things and there doesnt appear to be any mass loading happening in that corner (in so much as audible and ruining the experience that is).

I have the EVO 4.2s which are the forgotten sibling and I can honestly say that on a cost V performance ratio, ( under $2K with stands) these are off the charts and have blown out the walls!

They are seamless top-to-bottom, with nothing over(or under ) done and whenever I try to describe the sound or do a review in my head my resolve quickly fades and I just find myself putting on (or turning over ) another album.

By way of comparison the Linton has much more of an identifiable persona ,which (obviously ) many people like, but I will have the 4.2 any day of the week for playing any album in my collection.

It is genre agnostic and while it is very engaging, it doesn't exhibit an overt personality. The trick here though, is that doesn't mean it has no personality because it really does.

Its greatest strength is that it just invites further listening every time you play them, they are never, ever fatiguing, always make feet move and air guitar motions come to life,  so what more can be asked of any speaker?

They do enjoy premium quality ampifiers and speaker cable though and will let you know about the efficacy of your  components upstream but this is hardly a fault so this is the EVO 4.2 story  in a nut shell.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, rantan said:

They do enjoy premium quality ampifiers and speaker cable though

@rantan 

Thanks for sharing your impressions

Edited by Drunken Monk

Ahh  Wharfedale. I had E50's, E70's, Mach 9's (Completely rewired with Monster cable, sounded ****) 708's and 508's. After that, from Memory, they got bought out.

Good to see them back. Are they an English company again?

• 2 weeks later...

I got my lintons today. Out of the box the bass was just too boomy for my room. I hav them about 12 inches from the rear wall. I had to put a sock in each port and the boominess had gone. However the treble was very harsh. I then realised that the speakers were placed on opposite sides since the box had them labelled incorrectly. Putting the speakers in such a way that the W logo is on the outside surely changed the treble. The harshness reduced drastically. I still feel that the speaker feels a little constricted. Forums all over say that 150 to 200 hours is a good time for them to be at their best. My initial impression is that they are an easy speaker. Big sound and the bass is fun. Laid back. It has enough resolution but compared to my main rig, the treble extension and refinement is a long way off. I was aware of this before buying so I am not complaining. I am currently running them with a Peachtree Nova 300. I can tell that the lintons can use power. I dont know how people are able to run them with low powered amps. I think for the money, you really cant go wrong with these as long as your expectations are in check. Will revert with more once I put them through their paces. Any tips from fellow Linton owners?

Edited by BrownMagic

I would say even after about 10 hours or say the Lintons really start to settle in. The boxes and the speaker cloths should be marked where the logos on the speakers should face inwards (which means tweeters are on the outside). However, owners can do what they want.

I have not done any placements yet. Just letting them run in. I have taken this pic from my listening position. Are they positioned correctly based on how Wharfedale wants us to place them? Thanks

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-05 at 12.50.16 PM.jpeg

Edited by BrownMagic
  • Like 3

As per Wharfedale literature - you have correct way around.

That is with W logo on outside - therefore tweeters are on inside

Enjoy your speakers