The Paul

Wharfedale Owners & Discussion Thread

I've had the pleasure of experiencing the Lintons at Frank Prowse HiFi.  I say experience because the moment the sound hit my ears, i was engaged and enjoying the music, not dragged into analytical mode and trying to pick out nuances or flaws.   They are are an absolute bargain at their RRP.   I can't wait to get time to pop in and see the rest of the range!

11 minutes ago, Ruffter said:

Frank,

How does the 4.2 compare to the Lintons?

Cheers,

Andrew

Its a completely different sound I'm afraid and only a listen would determine preference. Certainly the top end on the Evo is "cleaner" thanks to the ribbon tweeter and while both the Heritage and Evo series are fantastic in their own right, I think as many have said, the Lintons are more "immediately engaging" and seductive. Your mileage will vary!

13 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I can't wait to get time to pop in and see the rest of the range!

Overdue mate, tired of eating all the biscuits on my own!!

14 hours ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

The 4.1 are a fabulous speaker and stupidly cheap relative to how well they perform. Matching real-wood veneers and a smooth ribbon tweeter - I actually think these are the star of the range! I'm sure standalone reviews will trickle out over the next few weeks/months.

Wharfedale - Evo 4.1 01.jpg

Wharfedale - Evo 4.1 02.jpg

Thanks. They are an absolute bargain. Will sound great with my vintage nad 3100.

Well I've taken the plunge and ordered some Linton's

Hopefully here next week - feels like a long time away.  Is it weird to say I'm excited to get them ?

Thanks to Mark @frankprowsehifi 

So after 25 years Ive returned to the Wharefdale family.

Elysian 4 (Gloss Black)

_MAY9859.thumb.jpg.8f3389b88a2bf1fced230d214f232b67.jpg_MAY9861.thumb.jpg.59f109608de49ed365f3f2193d84571d.jpg_MAY9862.thumb.jpg.725ccf5d078e9170f5ef7a556db890ec.jpg_MAY9863.thumb.jpg.2a9b63788c3c670952480990c056887f.jpg_MAY9864.thumb.jpg.92453be6d783a37413fdd322fe7f9026.jpg_MAY9865.thumb.jpg.2702adb7745570d977c701002bd223c0.jpg_MAY9866.thumb.jpg.f7d13fbc8a944bdc6f228f3592b744aa.jpg_MAY9869.thumb.jpg.2a826c65450fa39266fd5a902d71b4a1.jpg

It’s so good to see Wharefedale back (with such a vengeance too) after so long in the doldrums. 

One listen, and you will be instantly convinced Wharefedale could have just used a ‘Michael Jordan’ press release:

”I’m Back”.

@Hydrology;

Would like to hear your thoughts on the jump from Lintons to the Ely 4's - very different beasts I know but a few broad strokes from someone who has had the chance to experience both would be appreciated.

On 20/05/2020 at 2:09 PM, Lil Caesar said:

@Hydrology;

Would like to hear your thoughts on the jump from Lintons to the Ely 4's - very different beasts I know but a few broad strokes from someone who has had the chance to experience both would be appreciated.

You're right - very different. The Elysians have incredible slam and attack, punchy bottom end with control. Ive always been a fan of AMTs and top end on these is as I would expect - smooth, non-fatiguing without a trace of sibilence. They are very agile and fast. In comparison, the Lintons are more laid back, a bit relaxed and not as detailed but then that is their appeal - the Lintons make everything sound enjoyable and fun to listen to.

While they are at opposite ends of the spectrum in the Wharfedale range, I can certainly see myself building another system around the Lintons - they are just so damn good for the money! Perhaps what Wharfedale could do is a bigger model based around the Linton sound and visual cues that fills the gap between them and the Elysian range.

Listening to and loving my new Lintons, Am rediscovering albums (CD's) and listening to the whole album ! 

These out of the box are great and am sure will get better. 

Find myself sitting to listen to a song, and an hour later am still listening and time has disappeared 

Please forgive my ent unit and haphazard acoustic foam ( playing around with placement).

Am about to make a new ent unit .

IMG_1166.jpeg

2 hours ago, frodo said:

Listening to and loving my new Lintons, Am rediscovering albums (CD's) and listening to the whole album ! 

These out of the box are great and am sure will get better. 

Find myself sitting to listen to a song, and an hour later am still listening and time has disappeared 

Please forgive my ent unit and haphazard acoustic foam ( playing around with placement).

Am about to make a new ent unit .

IMG_1166.jpeg

Looking good there Matt!

Some Heritage captured in the setting sunlight...

_MAY0025.jpg

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

_MAY0028.thumb.jpg.882373a024cbe5952d7b0d17bc5db093.jpg

Capture.JPG

Edited by TDK

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, TDK said:

Capture.JPG

Don’t try and explain the duality of man (or perhaps AI?) in a picture, Dave...

Edited by The_Doctor

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The_Doctor said:

Don’t try an explain the duality of man (or perhaps AI?) in a picture, Dave...

I’m just sayin, if I touch those wharfedales I might just have an epiphany and kill some hairy bastard with a bone  for them. 

Edited by TDK

Lintons at the end of a lm805ia would be fun 

15 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Lintons at the end of a lm805ia would be fun 

Have done this with the little a Dentons and the results are stunning. Even the LM-34 runs the Lintons well.

There is something truly magical about the Lintons, so I decided to acquire a pair in addition to the Elysians...

Second system begins...

_MAY0090.jpg

Anyone done any comparative listens between the Linton's and the Evo 4.4s?  Seems like a fairer fight given the size and price of the Lintons and would be really interested in how they compare.  (I know it's like comparing V8 to Tesla but I'm interested!)

I'm also contemplating a change of speakers, was looking at the 4.2 and 4.3, not sure if thats stepping up or back from my current Wharfedale Diamond 9.5s.

Not many reviews as mentioned, but I suppose in the end it's personal preference anyways. Been giving the 9.5s a good work out this week and will try get into FP hifi this coming weekend

On 22/06/2020 at 11:10 AM, fergal m said:

Anyone done any comparative listens between the Linton's and the Evo 4.4s?  Seems like a fairer fight given the size and price of the Lintons and would be really interested in how they compare.  (I know it's like comparing V8 to Tesla but I'm interested!)

Well I have and hence the decision above...😉

I'm also contemplating a change of speakers, was looking at the 4.2 and 4.3, not sure if thats stepping up or back from my current Wharfedale Diamond 9.5s.

Not many reviews as mentioned, but I suppose in the end it's personal preference anyways. Been giving the 9.5s a good work out this week and will try get into FP hifi this coming weekend