Wharfedale Owners & Discussion Thread

Has anyone herd these speakers wd 4.2 ?

they are a new range for wharfedale . I am thinking 

I should take a chance and purchase as there is little or any reviews on them , originally I wanted the Polk lsim 703 but can’t seem to get any under $1800 Au ! What a joke ... 3- $400 USA . 

The tweeter in this range looks 

pretty interesting and the 4.4 in this range has rave reviews.

So a sales man emerges ?

well tbh I’m thinking they are amazing and the reason behind that is the trickle down tec... also from what I’ve herd in a few hifi shops is that the budget end hifi is really stepping up ... so many snobs in the hi fi speaker brands  that won’t even look what is produced in there own country let alone some products that sell in jb hifi - not literally but the big brother s if there range !

well times are a changing ! 

Whats your  best price ? 

3 minutes ago, The Paul said:

So a sales man emerges ?

well tbh I’m thinking they are amazing and the reason behind that is the trickle down tec... also from what I’ve herd in a few hifi shops is that the budget end hifi is really stepping up ... so many snobs in the hi fi speaker brands  that won’t even look what is produced in there own country let alone some products that sell in jb hifi - not literally but the big brother s if there range !

Whats your  best price ? 

As you're based over East it makes better sense to contact the distributor (AV Revolution) for your nearest dealer, who should be able to look after you with audition/pricing. You asked for an opinion so we put our hand up...?

At our store we needed another speaker brand like a we needed a hole in the head, but with so much good press, it was just simply impossible to say no when the Evo Series was presented to us.

Salesman yes. Hard sell? Not my style! ?

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Just got these babies from Mark at @frankprowse here in Perth. All I can say is... “holy wow!!!” The sound, the fit, the finish... truly amazing. I reckon they could ask 3 times the asking price just for the finish!! 

I’ve used floorstanders almost all my life and forgot how accurate bookshelf imaging is and how wide their soundstaging is. 

If u live in Perth, look for Mark at Frank Prowse and he will hook u up a great deal! U wouldn’t find a better person to deal with. You wouldn’t be pressured to buy anything. Super knowledgeable and a good bloke all around. 

73E5C198-7904-4F2A-B2C1-32186ACB4900.jpeg

• Like 4

These speakers are just outstanding for the price. They punch way above their weight.

Just waiting for the big brothers to come in (Elysian 4's).

They aren't exactly 'champagne' speakers in the audiophile community, but be damned with that if they sound and look great.

Good purchase @SoundGuy. You also chose very well who to give your business to.

Edited by Guest

On 15/01/2020 at 4:16 PM, The Paul said:

So a sales man emerges ?

Whats your  best price ? 

Bit harsh. The guys (especially Mark) are great guys). Yes they are sales people. Spend sometime with them and you will soon see that their love of hifi/music is first and foremost.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Bit harsh. The guys (especially Mark) are great guys). Yes they are sales people. Spend sometime with them and you will soon see that their love of hifi/music is first and foremost.

Too right. This sort of talk really brings me down.  By this logic you'd never ask a chef what tomatoes he likes.

Heaven forbid the OP ever gets asked his professional opinion about anything.

If he was a "True" salesperson he would have steered you towards a product costing 3x the price and suggested he ship the product across country.

There's no pleasing some people!

On 12/02/2020 at 12:24 PM, SoundGuy said:

Any other Linton owner out there? What do u think? Out of the box, they sound nice already. I can only imagine how much better they will be once they run in. 

I’d like to hear a pair...I love their old school looks & dimensions

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rantan said:

Looking good @Lil Caesar.

What amplifier did you eventually settle on? ( your feet are in the way ):lol:

I run a marantz prepro and actives for ht duties.  I was originally using a stereo power amp - the schiit aegir via the zone 2 output to give me a second system for the Lintons - essentially seperate stereo speaker and amp in the ht room.  

This was quite comproismsed I discovered because using the prepro as a dac/pre for the zone 2 Output there are limitations applied to input switching, something you don’t realise until you try to share hdmi and optical, coax etc with the primary zone.

anywhoo, the easiest solution was to stop trying to share the prepro and go to a dedicated integrated amp.  I chose the denon Pma-1600ne.  A thoroughly underrated device.  I now run analog out (rca) from my oppo bdt-101ci which has akm 4490 dacs to give me CD/sacd/DVD-audio and use the USB input for my Mac air running Audirvana.

i’ve also bought a nifty little Bluetooth receiver from jaycar with optical output to allow cheap and cheerful streaming.

must seem a bit silly duplicating sources and devices but I wanted a seperate stereo in the best room in my home and now I have that.  The lintons get put out of the way when we’re in movie mode.

soundwise the denon is a great match and really brings the wharfedales to life.  The tonality and timbre of piano and cello in particular is outstanding.

Edited by Lil Caesar
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/02/2020 at 12:09 PM, SoundGuy said:

Just got these babies from Mark at @frankprowse here in Perth. All I can say is... “holy wow!!!” The sound, the fit, the finish... truly amazing. I reckon they could ask 3times the asking price just for the finish!! 

I’ve used floorstanders almost all my life and forgot how accurate bookshelf imaging is and how wide their soundstaging is. 

If u live in Perth, look for Mark at Frank Prowse and he will hook u up a great deal! U wouldn’t find a better person to deal with. You wouldn’t be pressured to buy anything. Super knowledgeable and a good bloke all around. 

73E5C198-7904-4F2A-B2C1-32186ACB4900.jpeg

Are those stands sand fillable?

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tone_al said:

Hi I am interested bon the Evo 4.1 for a small room live In a unit.  I ha ce heard them on YouTube and quite impressed  How good are they and how come there are not many reviews out there.

The 4.1 are a fabulous speaker and stupidly cheap relative to how well they perform. Matching real-wood veneers and a smooth ribbon tweeter - I actually think these are the star of the range! I'm sure standalone reviews will trickle out over the next few weeks/months.

Wharfedale - Evo 4.1 01.jpg

Wharfedale - Evo 4.1 02.jpg

• Like 1

On 15/01/2020 at 7:14 PM, The Paul said:

Thanks frank 

I have already got a very good price to low to say no. 

I am sure “frank” was shattered to miss out on your custom!

• Like 5