Record catalog software

I use my own designed MS Access database.

Its reasonably good. I first created it before discogs was thought of ?  ~ have tuned it since. Programming practice !

I use discogs as well, for selling.

Following up an automated transfer of data to discogs would still create hrs and hrs of work!

3 minutes ago, Flamenco_diego said:

Its reasonably good. I first created it before discogs was thought of ?  ~ have tuned it since. Programming practice !

Following up an automated transfer of data to discogs would still create hrs and hrs of work!

I would give discogs a try if I could import my existing data.  I currently just record the record title/artist, but not catalog number,  and I know of no way to  get that into discogs.  I am NOT typing out 4000 database entries again :) 

So I stay with a local database.  As I said, I use Memento at the moment.   Happy to use any database that can export it's data, as csv or xml, or sql dump,  to ensure I can take my data with me to any new program I want to try.  Sometimes it's handy just to be able to spit the data (or a subset) out into a simple spreadsheet.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Flamenco_diego said:

I used to use Access too but that was long ago.

On 15/01/2020 at 7:12 AM, aussievintage said:

I am NOT typing out 4000 database entries again

You can scan the barcode with the Discogs app. When I get a new CD I just pull out the mobile phone and done in about 10 seconds.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jumbuck said:

You can scan the barcode with the Discogs app. When I get a new CD I just pull out the mobile phone and done in about 10 seconds.

Oh really, tediously cataloguing my collection at the moment, just found the scanning, you’re a legend, thanks.

20 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

How many records do you think even have a barcode?

I ditched vinyl the day they bought out CD's so doesn't affect me too much although some of the earlier CD's don't have barcodes either ? 

2 hours ago, smav said:

Since seeing this thread and downloading the app last week, have started cataloging my albums - so far, no more than 30% would have barcode! Going slower than I originally thought.

Whisky (or whatever) put some music on, catalogue and visually grade...i find it relaxing...but only  few hundred records.

3 hours ago, awayward said:

Oh really, tediously cataloguing my collection at the moment, just found the scanning, you’re a legend, thanks.

I did the same but now just photograph the barcode