Sign in to follow this  
keinesorge

Breeze Audio USB SPDIF converter (optical transmitter swap)

Some time ago i received a USB spdif converter from @NKMA (thanks!).

While trying it out i noticed that the output coax was nice but the optical wasnt the best sounding.  I subseqently broke the dust cover for the optical port so a fix was on the cards.

The long and short of it:

1.  The stock optical transmitter (TX141L) did not match the part number on the PCB.  Although similar, the items are not identical (says the datasheets).

2.  TX147 installed.  No discernible difference now between optical / coax.

3.  Transmit power and / or port design might have something to do with it.  (The port was different on the stock item to replacement transmitter).repair-before.jpg.2c5843e558f4f656d305e31226d1ebff.jpgrepair-after.jpg.93543b68489e7e59f545e781f6b53382.jpg

If anyone is using one of these, check the transmitter.  The model reference is on the back of the plastic housing.  If its not a TX147 (and especially if its a TX141L), there might be gains to be had with swapping the optical transmitter.

I went with the option of a removable dust plug.

Edited by keinesorge

I do not see what is a difference between the two and why would this replacement result in any improvements - all Toslink transmitters work with the same voltages and pinouts. 1- GND; 2- Vcc 3- Vin. Mechanically they can be with dust caps or flip gates but that is irrelevant for the performance. The real limitation is in the data protocol not the actual transmitter or receiver electronics. 

8 hours ago, Decky said:

I do not see what is a difference between the two and why would this replacement result in any improvements - all Toslink transmitters work with the same voltages and pinouts. 1- GND; 2- Vcc 3- Vin. Mechanically they can be with dust caps or flip gates but that is irrelevant for the performance. The real limitation is in the data protocol not the actual transmitter or receiver electronics. 

Hi Decky,

The rated transmission distance is not consistent with both parts.  As are the pulse width distortion and current consumption ratings.  V(IH), ditto.

The physical design of the port surrounding the waveguide is also dissimilar.

The dust plug version seems to have a sleeve aound the waveguide which might not be possible with the flip gate item.

The board looks to have been designed with a specific part in mind and it seems that a swap has taken place.  While both parts are pin for pin (and mounting point) compatible, there are physical and eletrical differences.

Someone was generous enough to give me this item and i'm just putting this out there for anyone who might own the same Breeze Audio USB - SPDIF converter.  Respectfully, I'll leave communication protocols and effective bandwidth for another thread (which i wont get in to).

The replacement item was purchased from ebay (eBay item number: 391813357096).

Edited by keinesorge

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By PG2019
      Item Condition: Rarely Used Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Aspendale State: Victoria Payment Method: Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Upgrading System Further information: 
      Hello,

I'am selling my Schitt Audio Eitr USB to SPDIF converter. The reason for selling the converter is that I'am looking to upgrade my system. The unit has been rarely used and is in excellent condition, there is no marks or scratches. Please note the unit does not come with a box or manual. The unit comes with the original Australian power adapter. If you are interested my contact me via email or call me.

Thank You

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By **ZEP**
      Price: $185 Item Condition: Fantastic Shipping Options: Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: HIGHETT State: Victoria Payment Method: Cash EFT Reason for selling: No longer required Further information: Fantastic Condition, Nordost USB cable 1.0metre, Blue Heaven. Pick up for cash from 3190 or EFT Please

• By Mister P
      Price: $80 Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: 4341 - near Ipswich State: Queensland Payment Method: EFT, Cash on Pickup, Paypal Reason for selling: NLR Further information: 
      I recently bought this to trial with my system; have since upgraded. This is a very good sounding cable.

• By frednork
      Item: Mad Scientist Black Magic USB Cable 85cm tip to tip
      Price: $350
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:  Very nice cable from the Mad Scientist guys. These sell for $600+ AUD so if looking at one of these save some money. Comes with original box and bag. Will post at cost.

reviews

Mad Scientist Black Magic USB | HFA - The Independent Source for Audio Equipment Reviews
      WWW.HIFI-ADVICE.COM Once again the company issued a newer version of a product that beats the previous incarnation by a sizable margin, no matter if that previous product was already marvelous!  
      REVIEW: Mad Scientist Audio Black Magic USB Cable Cable - paco - Cable Asylum
      WWW.AUDIOASYLUM.COM REVIEW: Mad Scientist Audio Black Magic USB Cable Cable - paco - Cable Asylum  
      Mad Scientist Audio - Black Magic USB Cable - Audio Bacon
      AUDIOBACON.NET Honest reviews of the best audiophile headphones, speakers, amplifiers, preamplifiers, DACs, and cables.

• By Eagleeyes
      Item: Range of cables to choose from RCAS< USB< HDMI AND XLR
      Price: Various see below
      Item Condition: Generally good to excellent
      Reason for selling: No need- clean up.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

As per Photos: however they seems to have reordered themselves but most you can read.

1) Monster Balanced RCA 2 metres. $100

2 and 3) Total Dac d1 USB filter  $360 Euros new $400 Aus posted

4) Linn 30cm cable $50

5 and 7 and 10) Monster 1.5 metre component lead $50

6 and 9) Thunder Snake Digital Link Viper factory terminated with lockable Rca plugs similar to WBT heavy duty 75 ohm digital lead $100

8 and 11) Cardas Video Digital 75 ohm cable with cardas plugs $100

12 and 13) Soniclink Aero space technology 150 rca cables  1 metre $150

14) Radio shack rca cable 1 metre $25

15) Monster cable 300 mk11 i metre $50

20) TARA LABS PRISM KLARA Speaker cables 2 metres pair $250

21-22) Osborn SilverLink xlrs a pair sold

Osborn Silverlink is the result of several years of careful experimenting with many different types of cabling and insulation materials. Silverlink is made from pure extruded silver wire which is specially made for Osborn Loudspeakers. It is extruded into one continual length. Many reference cables up to $6,000 per pair were used as comparisons during the selection phase. Neither I, nor any of my customers have yet found an interconnect to match the performance of the Silverlink. Silver Interconnects often suffer from a brittle top end and a restricted bass performance. The sonic purity, transparency, inner detail and soundstage of the Silverlink is extraordinary in both XLR and Single Ended interconnects.." from www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/osborn-speaker-cables .

23)Monster cables xlrs $100

24)Clearer Audio Silverline hdmi i metre $100

25) QED purple UNEX HDMI-  $100