Sign in to follow this  
Monkey_Relish

Sabbath Paranoid low treble

Hi all,

50 YO here that jumped back on the vinyl bandwagon, after jumping on that shiny CD one in the 80’s ( it looked like a Toyota Starion).

I have an Australian vertigo pressing of Paranoid that I bought on “that auction site”.

Playing it, there seems to be a lack of treble. On both my Yamaha CA-610 and CA-1000, I have to turn up the treble to max before it seems to sound right. Then it sounds good. Note that there is little noise.

this is plating on a Technics SL-1700 with an AT95e using a Jico hyper elliptical stylus.

For all other records, I leave the treble bypassed.

Is this an indication that the record is worn out, or is it this pressing ?

Mr Relish

I find most Sabbath records lack treble...  it's just how they sound

I have 2x copies of the Aussie vertigo pressing. Is yours the later laminated cover or the original matte cover.

Cartridge loading settings (resistance for MC and capacitance for MM) make a big difference to the high frequencies of vinyl playback and/or alignment so id start with making sure this is correct before casting aspersions on the format first. BTW excellent choice going back to vinyl 👍

23 hours ago, kelossus said:

I have 2x copies of the Aussie vertigo pressing. Is yours the later laminated cover or the original matte cover.

Mine is the original matte cover.

Mr Relish

23 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Cartridge loading settings (resistance for MC and capacitance for MM) make a big difference to the high frequencies of vinyl playback and/or alignment so id start with making sure this is correct before casting aspersions on the format first. BTW excellent choice going back to vinyl 👍

For all other records, I bypass the tone settings. The CA-610 has 100pf capacitance by my reading of the schematic, which would be fine for the AT95E.  Not sure on the CA-1000, I may have a capacitance issue there, but it seems to cause the cart to be “peaky” at certain higher frequencies, if that makes sense.

Mr Relish

I had a very similar issue, with a used copy of Pink Floyd's wish you were here.

Bought another copy, without the lacking treble. So it could be record wear?

Ben

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)