Sign in to follow this  
Martin Cowtan

B&O 4002 turntable lid in need of repair

Hi there

my B&O 4002 turntable has a broken lid at the weak point at the back one ofthe corners has broken off. Unfortunately this was disguised and only discovered after buying. Too much hassle to chase the interstate seller.

Does any one have any clues as to where i could get it fixed or any other alternative ideas. i want to restore back to as close to original as possible. i'm aware of the Beolovers website. 

Super glue achieves a strong repair to TT lids.

The best repair is achieved if some pressure can be applied with a clamp and left over night.

Recently repaired the lid of a Technics SL  Q2 . tab that fitted in to the hinge was missing and I made a replacement ,glued it in place and it was strong enough to cut and file the next day.

Need to see some pictures of yours to know if this would work.

Edited by EV Cali

Excellent advice thanks Robin, I'll give it a go

If the superglue fix needs some support you could make a pair of clear perspex plates to sit behind the hinge, slightly bigger than the hinge.  Drill holes for the hinge mounting bolts.  Being slightly bigger than the hinge and clear they won't look to obtrusive. Of course, this depends on the design of your hinges, it won't work for some designs.

@Martin Cowtan, i used a two part superglue from locktite specially for plastics, far better than ordinary superglue, i used it on a Apan TT lid which was thick and heavy, a large area around thehinge had broken away, after glueing, solid as, good luck

15 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

If the superglue fix needs some support you could make a pair of clear perspex plates to sit behind the hinge, slightly bigger than the hinge.  Drill holes for the hinge mounting bolts.  Being slightly bigger than the hinge and clear they won't look to obtrusive. Of course, this depends on the design of your hinges, it won't work for some designs.

ill keep that in mind when sourcing the glue- thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately some of the Perspex is missing which is going to be a pain to source same or similar- have you any suggestions on suppliers? 

4 hours ago, EV Cali said:

Super glue achieves a strong repair to TT lids.

The best repair is achieved if some pressure can be applied with a clamp and left over night.

Recently repaired the lid of a Technics SL  Q2 . tab that fitted in to the hinge was missing and I made a replacement ,glued it in place and it was strong enough to cut and file the next day.

Need to see some pictures of yours to know if this would work.

ill send a photo of the offending area

55 minutes ago, Martin Cowtan said:

ill keep that in mind when sourcing the glue- thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately some of the Perspex is missing which is going to be a pain to source same or similar- have you any suggestions on suppliers? 

Sorry, I don't have any particularperspex  supplier, google will help.  Would also suggest companies that use perspex, because they would most probably have the small sizes you would be looking for as offcuts.  Ebay sells small sheets of it.

5 hours ago, Martin Cowtan said:

ill send a photo of the offending area

I cut up an old TT lid for my repair so have plenty left that you could use and would be happy to send you some. 

I found ordinary Super glue to be fine but it does help if you can put the repair under pressure with a clamp or weight and leave for 24 hours.

This is the glue, from Bunning's, that I used  It was only a couple of dollars. Being thin it has the advantage that it will flow in to cracks.

Ignore the Loctite GO2728968837_Glue.thumb.JPG.728dcc85f8ed79244fc471f0c804b4d1.JPG

Thanks Robin for the offer- i'll hunt around locally first- got some glue so halfway there!