stopped wasting money cables signals and space with a phono pre

Amazing!

After trawling through at least 4 phono pre amps over the past 10 years:

Luxman

Cambridge Audio

Rega

and Vincent ( with sep p supply); 

I decided to do something "silly"  - I plugged my 301 (with Grace F8 Ruby) into the hitherto ignored  gold plated phono input on my Onkyo Integra P304  (pictured).  Time: 10.45 PM 

Voila!  It sounded marvellous - great imaging, detail and separation. Goodbye Phono pre!!   Plus,  I can use the outdated non PC "tone control" to do all sorts of things to my lp's.  

This is from a piece of kit that is almost 40 years old...

It has a huge transformer - better than the first four pre amps put together.  Maybe there's something in this little detail. 

That's my "aha" thought for the day.  

Disclaimer: I can't  afford a an expensive pre amp.  If I could, I would have....

op.jpg

• Like 4

agree with above post, its all about audition, even if it's your own gear, and your ears make the final decision.

• Like 2

not surprised @helotoby!!!

love the phono stage on my Onkyo A8150. It's an integrated amp from mid 80s and not as fancy as your Integra, however after trying several dedicated phonos (of a sub $400 variety) went right back to the Onkyo's phono input as it simply sounded the best.

Edited by zippi

I have several integrated amps, pre and turntables. I can hear the differences of different combinations, I choose the one which is the sweetest to my ear. It is all about your personal feeling, most of the time.