Sign in to follow this  
Fro-Daddy

HLG - Do I need it?

I'm still fairly new to all this stuff, reading articles I find on Google only gets me so far as they are generally a few years old.

I'm setting up my room, I currently have a BenQ W2700 projector and am now looking to get a new receiver.

Currently I'm looking at a second hand Yamaha RX-V679. From a firmware update this now supports HDR10, but I don't believe it does HLG, that requires the V681 model or newer.

I'm not sure what uses HLG, I never even heard of it before today. Is it the new standard and I'll be wasting my money if I don't get something capable?

I will be watching mostly streaming through Netflix/Stan/Foxtel. But I will likely get a Blu-ray player or an X-Box later on.

4 hours ago, Fro-Daddy said:

I'm setting up my room, I currently have a BenQ W2700 projector and am now looking to get a new receiver.

Currently I'm looking at a second hand Yamaha RX-V679. From a firmware update this now supports HDR10, but I don't believe it does HLG, that requires the V681 model or newer.

I'm not sure what uses HLG, I never even heard of it before today. Is it the new standard and I'll be wasting my money if I don't get something capable?

I will be watching mostly streaming through Netflix/Stan/Foxtel. But I will likely get a Blu-ray player or an X-Box later on.

HLG is a hdr mode for broadcast tv   and streaming [check with your supplier ; HLG metadata is streamed in the US ] ; our tv channels are always miles behind the latest technologies Fro-daddy due to the cost of upgrading their installations . It was ages before we even got mpeg4 channels even though it enabled the multichannels we have due to better video compression .

More important depending on your tv choice and uhd bd player choice will be things like dolby vision ; again depending on the discs bought..