Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy

Scratched Records

What do you all do with the records that are too scratched to play anymore? ( tried playing some old records yesterday. but feared for my stylus )

I was just going to 'bin' them, but I remember a young woman who bought some of my 45rpm's quite a few years ago to make bowls etc, with them.

So does anyone just 'bin' them anymore or should I Gumtree them for folk art people - No cost of course.

I'm thinking the bin, but is it recycle bin or rubbish bin ?

Cheers,

They make great clocks.

It depends on your criteria of "too scratched to play anymore". 

You mentioned fear of playing for risk of damaging your stylus.  Having another headshell/cart for playing damaged records removes this anxiety.  The AT3600 is a highly regarded cart that sells for under $20 on ebay, and competes with cart's costing in the hundreds.  Cheap enough not to worry about damaging the stylus (if it's damaged it's cheap to replace), and the conical tip may be more forgiving on damaged records. 

Your criteria of being too scratched to play may be a much higher criteria than many others, as you are at least somewhat of an audiophile.  Looking at the very poor quality of many op shop records which sell indicates that many people have much lower thresholds for criteria than I (and I would expect many on SNA) have.  So if you don't feel the records are playable, donate them to an op shop, at least the money raised will go to a good cause. 

Some people make art/crafts from records, as suggested above.  Bowls, clocks, handbags, lampshades, etc.  I hate it when I see playable records being used in this way, but if they are non-collectable disks or damaged disks I can cope better. 

It reminds me of a post I read years ago, where a high-school in the US had an art show, and one student was amazed that someone wanted to buy her work - which had never occurred in a student art show.  The writer paid about $50 for the piece which the student and teacher thought was a very high amount.  Curious, they asked why he liked the artwork so much.  He explained that he was a record collector (78s), and he wasn't so much interested in the art, but he recognised one disk.  Apparently it was a rare blues disk that there were previously two known copies, and the artwork had discovered a third previously unknown copy.  He said that a playable copy would be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Due to the way it was used in the artwork he explained that it had been ruined, unplayable and worthless, but he would like to have the unplayable record anyway.  The teacher reflected that she may need to have a bit more vigilance in her student's work. 

41 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Your criteria of being too scratched to play may be a much higher criteria than many others, as you are at least somewhat of an audiophile.  Looking at the very poor quality of many op shop records which sell indicates that many people have much lower thresholds for criteria than I (and I would expect many on SNA) have.  So if you don't feel the records are playable, donate them to an op shop, at least the money raised will go to a good cause.

i think there's a wide perception those scratches and pops etc. is normal, its what vinyl all is about - we suffer for our art. they don't realize that even a half descent budget set-up with a clean disk will be free from that "lovely warm fuzz with the clicks and pops that lets you know you're listening to vinyl" 

22 minutes ago, wasabijim said:

i think there's a wide perception those scratches and pops etc. is normal, its what vinyl all is about - we suffer for our art. they don't realize that even a half descent budget set-up with a clean disk will be free from that "lovely warm fuzz with the clicks and pops that lets you know you're listening to vinyl" 

Yup... a millennial at work was very disappointed that there is “no analogue noise” on any of my records...

5 hours ago, wasabijim said:

I think that opinion was formed by the general public who, in general, didn't take as good care of their records as I did.  The only records I own that have clicks/pops are those I've bought secondhand which comes with noise.  New albums I bought are as scratch/noise-free as when I got them.  (Not counting the time I had an accident with a new Triffids album, but that's an exceptional story for another time).

Hit em with a very fine wet sand paper and see if they improve. I've heard of unlistenable records being rescued this way, ie ones where deep scratches are made play-though-able, not necessarily completely silent

A good microline stylus will drop clicks and pops to almost zero. I have a Technics EPC205 with a Jico SAS and it's eerily quiet on LP's I have bought 2nd hand, much quieter than my daily used Stanton 881s.

AT's ML stylus is the same profile as the SAS so an AT95ML would be a good choice, and not too expensive, you could have a cheaper stylus to put in for those bad LP's.........

Thanks for the replies.

The records mentioned were all used when l got them and some of the scars they have are very bad.

l was thinking of swappig out my SHURE cart and using my old Empire cart to play the bad looking ones as suggested by @audiofeline but my tonearm doesn't have a detachable headshell which is a pain to fiddle with ( fat fingers, old eyes etc.)

Cheers

1 hour ago, Grumpy said:

...l was thinking of swappig out my SHURE cart and using my old Empire cart to play the bad looking ones as suggested by @audiofeline but my tonearm doesn't have a detachable headshell which is a pain to fiddle with ( fat fingers, old eyes etc.)

I can relate to that.  I've been frustrated with my old turntable with a non-detachable headshell for the same reason. 

Looks like you will need to get a second turntable to play the damaged records on!

Frisbee's

On 20/01/2020 at 5:55 AM, Herbs said:

Frisbee's

Ah yes, frisbee's.....reminds me of the time my mate and I, in our early teens, decided it would be fun to throw some of my sisters singles off the Pound Bend cliff at the back of our Warrandyte home into the Yarra River or beyond into the orchard. Frisbee heaven! They weren't even scratched! Well, some probably were......we didn't check first. My sister.....not happy!

Gee, there's no doubt teenage boys can be total ****** bags at times!😑 I was no exception....🙄.

Guest Muon N'

I used to bin bad ones, and donate to op shops ones that were playable but had audible scratches.

24 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Ah yes, frisbee's.....reminds me of the time my mate and I, in our early teens, decided it would be fun to throw some of my sisters singles off the Pound Bend cliff at the back of our Warrandyte home into the Yarra River or beyond into the orchard. Frisbee heaven! They weren't even scratched! Well, some probably were......we didn't check first. My sister.....not happy!

Gee, there's no doubt teenage boys can be total ****** bags at times!😑 I was no exception....🙄.

Lived in the youth hostel up pound bend in the early 80s for a while!!!

Old records are used as a weapon against a Zombie invasion in an episode of Shaun of the Dead (see the video below, the records are used from 2:04).   

OK, you are probably saying that this is a work of fiction, and would our record collection really be useful when the Zombie invasion occurs?  Good question.  Fortunately, zombie experts examine the validity of this approach here:   https://magazine.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/can-you-kill-zombie-with-vinyl-record/

A more practical use for unplayable records is to glue laser-printed cart alignment guides to the surface in order to make the guides more rigid and less prone to damage. 

20 minutes ago, muriwai said:

Lived in the youth hostel up pound bend in the early 80s for a while!!!

I loved living in Warrandyte but alas, we moved to Bendigo in '77. I still live in Central Victoria to this day.👍

Please do not encourage vinyl abuse by giving them your scratchy vinyl to be twisted into all kinds of shapes for decorative purposes. 

Bury your vinyl in your back gardens with a commemorative plaque

I recall a claim in another thread that some scratches (i would guess minor) can be "mediated" using a felt tip/texter pen. To a degree apparently. Have no clue as to the actual effectiveness or extent of potential issues with stylus picking up bits of texter residue. Pinch of salt.....apply liberally.....may just be a tale in the end.

On 13/01/2020 at 2:23 PM, t_mike said:

They make great clocks.

MY work shop clock

317592384_TTClock2(1024x768).jpg.e870897c401bc766f56a0a8145f8512b.jpg

1167566206_TTClock1(1024x900).jpg.e9ccf64132690da399be06c5894c2358.jpg

The daytime variety show The Mike Walsh Show was very popular on Aust TV in the 1970-80's.  One of the regulars was Jeanne Little, an extreme extrovert who had a very irritating voice, who had a segment on the show where she would comment on celebrities, socialites, fashion, entertainment, etc. (ie., the really important issues). 

I recall an episode where the topic of her segment was the local music awards, probably the "King of Pop" awards (later the Countdown awards and now the ARIA awards).  As a gimmick (not unusual for her), he wore a frock she designed herself made of records (I think they were 7" singles).  I can't erase from my memory the sound of that voice screetching "it's a dress made of reeecccccckkkkkk-oooooorrrrrrrdddddddssssss!!!!!!!" (as if we couldn't see it for ourselves). 

@Grumpy - have you considered entering the fashion industry with your excess records?

2 hours ago, audiofeline said:

The daytime variety show The Mike Walsh Show was very popular on Aust TV in the 1970-80's.  One of the regulars was Jeanne Little, an extreme extrovert who had a very irritating voice, who had a segment on the show where she would comment on celebrities, socialites, fashion, entertainment, etc. (ie., the really important issues). 

I recall an episode where the topic of her segment was the local music awards, probably the "King of Pop" awards (later the Countdown awards and now the ARIA awards).  As a gimmick (not unusual for her), he wore a frock she designed herself made of records (I think they were 7" singles).  I can't erase from my memory the sound of that voice screetching "it's a dress made of reeecccccckkkkkk-oooooorrrrrrrdddddddssssss!!!!!!!" (as if we couldn't see it for ourselves). 

@Grumpy - have you considered entering the fashion industry with your excess records?

I remember that episode and that dress.....and that screech!😣

Given vinyls resurgence, that dress should be up there with Ga Ga's meat dress, Lizzy Gardner's Oscars credit card dress and or, dare I say it, 🤤Liz Hurley's Safety pin dress.👌

I believe that vinyl is a popular floor covering.  Especially in the kitchen.  The stains wipe off, but you will need to use a circular motion.

ebgvbsb0p6r11.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a