Damaged Scanspeak Driver

Hi there I have a Pair of DIY speakers that i have been enjoying now for about 2 years.

In the last few days or so I have noticed a buzzing/rattling sound coming from the one of the Scanspeak Drivers. It also makes a weird noise when I gently press on it.

This driver is the Scanspeak Illuminator 18WU/4747T00 4 Ohm Aluminium Cone version.

Don't exactly want to pay the $500 or whatever for a brand new driver, Is there any one in the country that could repair this back to original specifications or am i just going to have to shell out the bucks for a new one.

I had a subwoofer that displayed a similar issue.  In operation I could make the noise go away by gently touching one part of the rolled rubber surround.  To me this suggested the coil and magnet were fouling.  Out of curiosity I pulled out the driver and rotated it 180 degrees.  No change.  I then pulled it out again and rotated it back 90 degrees.  Bingo, noise gone and has been working fine for the last 2 years. 

It might be worth a shot in your case.

There's a bit of info here that might also help:

https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/audio-video/loudspeaker/repair-replace-speaker-coil.php

From the description of the problem it is most likely that you have a damaged voice coil.  Care is required to repair these expensive speakers as it is relatively easy to create wrinkles in the aluminium cone when dismantling the cone from the frame . This procedure is necessary to  straighten or de-kink the coil winding or former.  I would suggest that you contact Garry Cawsey   garry@cawsey.com.au .    also in Melbourne.  You can ask for a test report ( T & S Parameters )  to make sure it meets the Scanspeak specifications after it is repaired.

Edited by VanArn
Addition
  • Like 2

Thanks for that suggestion. I need a drill to remove the front baffle and drivers so will have to wait for my dad tomorrow, but while playing a low frequency tone (70hz) I pressed down on part of the rubber surround and it went away. I playedthe tone for a few minutes afterwards and it appears ok.  When pushing on the left side of the surround the rattle/buzzing noise comes back though but as long as i push down the right side it seems fine.

Here is a google drive link from sound recording i took of the driver.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1A2Lcu5hxxWF5F6NJMYPHLT670-ENsiCF

The first recording is me playing a 70hz tone with the left speaker making the rattling/buzzing noise

The second is of me gently pushing against the driver and it making a weird noise, completely different to the other scan speak driver in the other speaker.

You can also try rotating from up to down the driver so that gravity pulls the cone down and it might be enough to stop the voice coil rubbing. If doesn’t work then see a repairer.

• Like 1