Add tube pre-amp vs upgrade power amps

Hi guys,

I'm running a Squeezebox into a NAD M51 Dac that is directly connected to Emotiva UPA-1 monoblocs driving Paradigm Studio 100 v5 speakers. The NAD M51 works both as DAC and pre-amp. But was wondering if adding a pre-amp in the mix would be beneficial. Something like a Schiit Freya pre-amp for example - which would bring tubes into the mix. Or using an Arcam A19 integrated as pre-amp. Would that increase warmth and offer a more refined top-end? Or am I limited by the current power amps I'm using - the Emotiva UPA-1 monoblocs are nice but possibly not the last word in amplification. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Just in general, preamp will change the sound quality. 

I tried Chord TT directly connect to the amp, but didn’t like it. 

but if you have a really good dac (thousands$$$), it can be used as a preamp as well.  

Worth to borrow one to test. 

I've added tubes to Emotiva gear in the past and had some awesome results.

I tried a Tram 2 which still stands as the best sounding preamp I've ever used (however was completely impractical!) and a Primaluna Dialouge Premium which also sounded awesome and I still own. 

The Freya should work if things match much better than the integrated amp. There is a Youtube Darko Audio trial of a Freya preamp doing similar you can search.

If you are patient there used similar tube preamps in the used sna section and Gumtree with Chinese tube preamps, custom builds, older general brands like that can be found for $300-500. My own example pics below both sound really good, one is tube and another solid state

E8EE90B5-DE11-417B-9C03-17E311111774.jpeg

Edited by Al.M

Wow, thanks all for your input - much appreciated. I did watch the Darko video - hence got interested in Freya as an option. But was wondering if my Emotiva power amps would be the weakest link that needed improving. The Thermionic looks like an interesting option  - it adds that classy retro look too! Might have to do some research about tubes and test it out in my system.

If spending more something like a world class $3k rrp or cheaper used  Supratek preamp with the Emotiva power amp would likely beat any $4-6k rrp intergrated. It’s often said, a good preamp can contribute to 50-60% of the sound quality.

http://www.supratek.com.au

The Darko Freya preamp youtube sums it up very well about the potential sterility of a non preamp based system.

Edited by Al.M