Sign in to follow this  
mjsprice

Trying to determine if my sub is dead or not

Hey folks.

Recently my trusty old Richter Thor IV sub appears to have stopped working. I was using another sub on my system (Pioneer SC-LX57 is the AV unit) that is a bit less earth shattering for a time, but wanted to plug back in the Thor for some serious movie watching.

It's really odd that I can't get any sound. The power light goes on when the signal from the amp is received, the amp heat sinks warm up, and if I move the phase switch I get the hum and crackle I would expect, so I think the amp part of the sub is working too. Could it be that the line inputs for the sub have carked it? The exact same power & audio cable, and output from the amp, are being used as for the other sub which works fine. I haven't tried hooking up an amplified signal to the terminals, but other than that I think I've tried everything. Does anyone have any ideas, or is it likely this sub is now just spare parts? Thanks

Link to the manual - https://www.richter.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Thor-MK4-IB.pdf.

Matt

Sounds like its a trip to the repair centre for a service rather than a parts machine to me. Good Luck.

have you checked obvious stuff like the volume knob on the sub is not accidentally turned all the way down?

7 hours ago, agelessgoodguy said:

Sounds like its a trip to the repair centre for a service rather than a parts machine to me. Good Luck.

Yeah. It's just you can buy these second hand for $200 - $250, so not sure it's worth it!

Matt

4 hours ago, almikel said:

have you checked obvious stuff like the volume knob on the sub is not accidentally turned all the way down?

Yeah, fiddled with the gain etc.

Matt

Have you double checked that you are coming from the AVR's Sub PRE OUT and NOT accidentally connected to the AVR's  M\C sub INPUT?

You wouldn't be the first to have done that!!!!

37 minutes ago, JohnL said:

Have you double checked that you are coming from the AVR's Sub PRE OUT and NOT accidentally connected to the AVR's  M\C sub INPUT?

You wouldn't be the first to have done that!!!!

And I wouldn't be surprised if I managed that either :) But I have my other sub plugged into the same cable, so no.

Matt