Sign in to follow this  
THOMO

Telstra-Changed my mobile plan and charged $50 .

Telstra recently texted me to inform me that my mobile phone plan [I am not on a contract] would now have more data allowance.I never used up my previous allowance.When I received my bill they changed my plan to another more expensive one and then had the hide to charge me a $50 change of plan fee.At no time did I give them consent to make these changes and at no time did they inform me that this charge would apply or that my old cheaper plan was being deleted so I would have to take up a more expensive one.

I wonder how this is even legal.Especially in light of penalties and findings which have surfaced from the finance sector royal commission dealing with overcharging clients and charging them for services which they did not use.

Sounds like "business as usual" at Telstra, to me. I have never had a positive outcome in any dealings I have had with them and won't ever do business with them again.

Tell your nearest and dearest not to pay any bills generated after you depart this veil of tears. Wouldn't surprise me if they were the role model for many of our fine, upstanding financial institutions.

Edited by JukKluk2
More vitriol to unleash.......

The trouble is I live in the country and often travel in more remote areas and the Telstra network provides by far the best coverage.I could change to Aldi which uses the Telstra 3 G network and pay less than a third the price but the 3G network will be shut down soon.

Guest Muon N'

Bastards!

Unfortunately in those contracts that we never read, there is often provisions that covers them in many situations.

Hope you have some success with getting them to wave that 50 buck fee, at least.

Edited by Muon N'

Ring them up (I know I know, that’s a nightmare in itself). Mention the word “ombudsman” and you’ll get a quick response. 

16 minutes ago, PositivelyMusicallyGeared said:

Is it true that if one is pissed and swears into the phone, the robot phone system will fast-track your call

Unfortunately the bot wouldn't understand my swearing when I'm pissed...

Great to see, after all these years, Telstra hasn't changed...well, since Telecom really.

55 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Ring them up (I know I know, that’s a nightmare in itself). Mention the word “ombudsman” and you’ll get a quick response. 

Yes, this is what to do. If you still get no satisfaction, actually call the telecommunications ombudsman.

I can appreciate your concerns, Thomo. See my sad tale about Telstra & NBN Co here:

1 hour ago, PositivelyMusicallyGeared said:

Is it true that if one is pissed and swears into the phone, the robot phone system will fast-track your call to a human, or more likely to me, drop your call forthwith?

No, just repeat the word Human, you will get through to one, worked for me every time.

Guest Muon N'
3 minutes ago, Batty said:

No, just repeat the word Human, you will get through to one, worked for me every time.

I do the same, but instead of human I say things like Betelgeuse.

1 minute ago, Muon N' said:

It only works if you pronounce it correctly though

2 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Be careful with that one.....

I’d ever had that problem with Optus....

The boss has been on a plan for years, we realised we were behind and changed it to a prepaid $40.  I’d just had a look at the prepaid the other day and it gives her more for less,  way, way way more.   Might change it again because the $30 prepaid gives her more benefits than the current $40 we are on.  

However my corporate account just shifted to Macquarie Telecom that used the Telstra network......I have to say never used this service and if your corporation decides on it don’t bother.... every call made or received I get at least 3 disconnection failures and have to recall again....... no matter how far you are from that tower,  and the 4G is no where near the speed of Optus 4G or if you go Telstra direct The boss cracked it every time I’m on the phone to her.

@THOMO Ombusman or threaten them with going elsewhere. Get in touch with Aldi to see when they are going 4G.

They are well known for bad service and they are amongst the most expensive.

My wife uses OVO, $9.95 a month, not run out of data yet, and there is actually an Ozzie human that answers the phone.....what’s not to like ? 

4 hours ago, THOMO said:

Telstra recently texted me to inform me that my mobile phone plan [I am not on a contract] would now have more data allowance.I never used up my previous allowance.When I received my bill they changed my plan to another more expensive one and then had the hide to charge me a $50 change of plan fee.At no time did I give them consent to make these changes and at no time did they inform me that this charge would apply or that my old cheaper plan was being deleted so I would have to take up a more expensive one.

I wonder how this is even legal.Especially in light of penalties and findings which have surfaced from the finance sector royal commission dealing with overcharging clients and charging them for services which they did not use.

It’s illegal to change your plan with out something in writing.  I don’t think a SMS is enough tbh, especially if your a postpaid customer. 

They have no grounds to charge you for it especially if they no longer offer the plan you were on. 

The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman is your friend if they won’t refund you. Fairly easy to raise a complaint and they do heaps of the leg work for you once your claim is in. 
In saying all that though, they have no obligation to continue to offer you your previous plan but must offer you a replacement and if that’s not suitable allow you to find another provider. 

So the best provider for Telstra mobile I’ve found so far has been ‘Belong’, 100% owned by Telstra but offer cheaper plans and a better service. 
Honestly, I travel all over the country like yourself and the only service worth anything is Telstra. Everyone else is pretty much Metro only. 

Guest Muon N'

If not under a contract you just get churned over from the new service once you sign up with them, retaining your current number, that's all I did leaving Telstra.

Edit: I never once contacted Telstra when I changed away from them, I just paid the final bill when it came. It used to be very difficult and they would try and hold you, but they changed it as it was seen as unfair practice.

If on a current contract, well that's different of course.

Edited by Muon N'

5 hours ago, Wimbo said:

@THOMO Ombusman or threaten them with going elsewhere. Get in touch with Aldi to see when they are going 4G.

ALDI and other Telstra resellers, including Aussie Broadband only get access to 3G for calls and 4G for data and that won't change until the 3G shutdown in June 2024.

Telstra resellers are selling a second rate service and I'm over it.

Live in the country with the same Telstra dominance.

Changed to reseller Belong for  $10 a month. Did it online. Unlimited talk and txt 'some' data which accumulates which I've got over 12gig of.

7 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

ALDI and other Telstra resellers, including Aussie Broadband only get access to 3G for calls and 4G for data and that won't change until the 3G shutdown in June 2024.

Telstra resellers are selling a second rate service and I'm over it.

Ahh, ok. I was using Aussie for my home phone as well.

A cable shorted in the house (The NBN tech said) as the line to the house is perfect. He advised to go wireless until I got the house wiring sorted.Got a cheap mobile plan with Dodo. We are a gaming family and I went to JB and bought the Netgear Blackhawk modem and 4 matching Dongles. Set it up and to my amazement got 5G. 90 plus down, 30 plus up. Hmm, don't think I'll worry about the wiring for a while.

15 hours ago, Mungbean66 said:

the only service worth anything is Telstra. Everyone else is pretty much Metro only. 

I you live in a rural area as I do the only provider that proves good reliable reception is Telstra.  People move to the town where I live and go with the less expensive providers.  Soon many give up and go with Telstra. 

John

Thanks for the advice.I contacted Telstra and basically said I was not going to pay the $50 change of plan fee .After some haggling they agreed to give me $5 a month credit for 10 months off my new plan to make up the $50.After more haggling they then agreed to credit that in advance off my next bill.So at no time have they really admitted that it was wrong to charge that $50 in the first place but rather that they are doing me a " one -off favour" due to their wonderful customer relations !I bet a lot of others just can't be bothered and cough up the $50.