Neil Peart has died......

stevoz

As a Rush fan, I am shocked. Apparently he was "quietly battling" brain cancer for three and a half years. Just 67......he was not only a great drummer but lyricist as well, writing all of Rush's lyrics. Will be missed. RIP.?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/10/entertainment/neil-peart-rush-drummer-death-trnd/index.html

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-peart-rush-obituary-936221/

• Like 1

So shocked and saddened by this news.......

I only introduced a workmate to their music yesterday too.

I feel a Rush weekend coming on.

R.I.P. Neil, you will be missed by millions.

I saw Rush when I lived in Salt Lake City back in the day. Such amazing musicians,  and of course Neil Peart is a drumming god. So sad to realize he is now gone. He had more than his share of personal tragedy and deserved a long and happy retirement.

--Geoff 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Noooo not him! Been a Rush fan for the past few decades and one of my regrets was never seeing them live. So sad, im heartbroken by this news 

Had the chance to see them many times back in the 80's when living in the UK..

...They toured extensively over the yeas and one of their hot spots was the NEC at Birmingham...

"I'll see'em next time round"....said the Richard Head in Me....

Just gutted..:(

Tase.

Great tribute video above.? The thing which stands out for me is the amazing array of wonderfully crafted drum kits......and they were certainly comprehensive! Also, at the end when the band members were all standing and smiling together at, I presume, their Hall of Fame induction.....they're a band who can claim a rare thing.....they were always friends and their friendship endured throughout their entire history together. Possibly the single most individually talented band that has ever existed.....so sad that this unique and creative bond has now been broken.?

2 hours ago, stevoz said:

Great tribute video above.? The thing which stands out for me is the amazing array of wonderfully crafted drum kits......and they were certainly comprehensive! Also, at the end when the band members were all standing and smiling together at, I presume, their Hall of Fame induction.....they're a band who can claim a rare thing.....they were always friends and their friendship endured throughout their entire history together. Possibly the single most individually talented band that has ever existed.....so sad that this unique and creative bond has now been broken.?

Hey Steve.  I read a while back that ZZ Top hold the record as the longest surviving band with no line up changes.

Surely Rush would come close???

27 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Hey Steve.  I read a while back that ZZ Top hold the record as the longest surviving band with no line up changes.

Surely Rush would come close???

I would think so Ant. A quick Wiki check reveals ZZ Top have had the same line up since 1970. Rush started in 1968 but had a different drummer (John Rutsey) until 1974, when Peart joined. So ZZ beat them by four years it seems.....great effort by both bands and interestingly, both had/have only three members.?

Is that the key to rock band line up longevity perhaps? Maybe three isn't a crowd......?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1