New member advice on Linn Sondek LP12 service

sing38

Hi all

I have just joined. I'm wanting to upgrade an old system so I can stream music, play radio, etc. and possibly put the TV through it. I currently have a Linn Sondek LP12 turntable, Redgum rgi120 (with Jaycar kit phono amp) and some Quad 77-11L speakers. I thought I should start with getting the turntable serviced as it has never been done. Can anyone suggest someone to work on the turntable in Melbourne who is honest, good and  reliable? I don't want to spend a fortune upgrading parts. I have spent a lot of money on high end stuff in the past that kept failing. I just want a system that sounds good. Would like to minimise the amount of gear but need a turntable for all of that vinyl I have. Also, wondering if changing the amp to something like the new Cambridge CXA61 when it arrives in Australia may be a good move.

Thanks

Glenda

Welcome Glenda, from another LP12 owner!

l see you are in Victoria. If you’re close to Melbourne I can recommend Andrew Coles of Hifi Restorations, he works at Audio Trends in Ringwood and is a Linn tech. He could probably help with other elements of your set-up as well. We’re a helpful bunch here, a good place to get you enjoying your records again. You should post the questions in the vinyl & turntables forum ??
Pete.

On 10/01/2020 at 1:01 PM, sing38 said:

so I can stream music, play radio, etc. and possibly put the TV through it. I currently have a Linn Sondek LP12 turntable, Redgum rgi120 (with Jaycar kit phono amp) and some Quad 77-11L speakers.

Hi Glenda

I think the first question you asked regarding the LP12 has been addressed, however the other question regarding the Cambridge amp implies you have issues with your existing amp, which technically should be fine to accept another input or 5, so if amp and speakers are good to go, finding streaming and radio sources and a means of getting sound out of the TV seem almost as interesting/minefield esq. 

By the way I really appreciated your question about the LP12, as I have one with a G707 arm  and Supex cartridge, that I will be looking to restore in the near future. 

Best of luck

Grant 

Hi Grant, I don't have any issues with my existing amp other than I want to be able to use spotify, etc. through my setup and I don't have a lot of space. I don't want my lounge room filled with audio gear and I want to simplify my system if i can.  The Redgum has actually been very solid. Do need to find a CD player however. You're right. It is a minefield.

That is what I thought, but just could not see any additional capability in the Cambridge that you mentioned. I thought something like the NAD M10, much more expensive I think, but skips over a few more mines. 

Having plugged my turntable into my wife's Kef lsx, I know we spend way more time listening to Spotify, just not as intently. They were not embarrassed by the "separates" originally used in the same room. 

Anyway, the sizes of boxes required these days that would get Spotify and TV into you existing amp might be as simple as a DVD player with Chrome cast and that plays CD's as well. I am sure there is a one box solution that could range from $299 at JB Hifi to something from Sonore, or SoTM. 

My venture back into CD's has been something from the Small Green Computer Company called the Microjukebox, that picks up Spotify, or if you want to chase the Dragon, Tidal and Roon. 

My heart still lay in the analog camp and a rabbit hole with a Koetsu. ?

Have fun. 

Grant