Pairing sme series 3 with cartridge

Guest ROMA

Hello.

I am looking for a cartridge for my sme  series 3 TT arm.

The arm seems to be limitted to a small amount of carts that will suit it wel.At the moment at the top of the list i have a shure V15 v.

Is there anny body here who has experiece whith this?

Or anny other sugestons.

Thanks!!

Hello,

My late brother had a Thorens TD160 fitted with an SME Series IIIs arm. The cart was a Shure V15-IV. My sister in law asked me to make this turntable pristine for her. As the stylus was well worn on the Shure, and she is on a very limited income, I put an Audio Technica ATVM95-E cart on the arm. The cart perform flawlessly and track very very well.

So you can go this route and use one of the more advanced stylus shape this cart offer....

Just my 2 ¢ here.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2020 at 9:01 AM, georgesgiralt said:

Hello,

My late brother had a Thorens TD160 fitted with an SME Series IIIs arm. The cart was a Shure V15-IV. My sister in law asked me to make this turntable pristine for her. As the stylus was well worn on the Shure, and she is on a very limited income, I put an Audio Technica ATVM95-E cart on the arm. The cart perform flawlessly and track very very well.

So you can go this route and use one of the more advanced stylus shape this cart offer....

Just my 2 ¢ here.

Hello George ,

I also have the td160 with the llls

I just bought an Audio Technika AT 20 sla.

That is suppose to work also.

And I am gonna try a shure v15 v xmr

But i wil write down the ATVM95-E for future experiments.

Thank you

12 hours ago, wasabijim said:

can you expand further on what you mean by "suit" it well?  just so we can focus discussion

Hello wassabi.

Wel i have this nice thorens td160 +this arm.

To me this is hitec and.i dont know anything about comliance,weight,frequensy,loading,gain etc.

And apparently dat stuff matters.

So the focus of my search at this moment is a bit more on what technically fits opposed to personal taste or "qualitty in sound"

In advance now i bought an old Audio Technika AT 20 so at least i can listen to music while figuring out al these tecnical things.like setting up a turntable and audio system and cartridge.

zo later i can listen to different carts and find out what i like.

it might as wel be the Audio Technika AT 20 that arrives friday: )

p.s.i do dave the sme d200 fluid damper.

thanks 

On 14/01/2020 at 10:27 AM, wasabijim said:

can you expand further on what you mean by "suit" it well?  just so we can focus discussion

This is a very light tonearm, an idea that was very popular at the time with many high end arm manufacurers. They were made this way to suit many of the MM cartridges at the time which were small, light and softly suspended. Compliance was the key.

@ROMA there are headshell weights and additional lead weights for the balance sliders on the arm that were made by SME to raise the effective weight of the arm, thus allowing greater choice of cartidges. Don't neglect this option as it allows the use of heavier moving coil carts. I think this arm is the forgotten gem of the SME range, but people are waking up and prices are skyrocketing.