Sign in to follow this  
barryj46

Yamaha RX-A1080 advice sought

I recently acquired this AVR, which is my first AVR with HDMI input/outputs.   I have two issues that I have not been able to resolve.

1.)  I am seeking to be able to play audio from my TV (LG OLED65E) through the amp, without success.

I have my UHD Bluray, PVR and Foxtel connected to the AVR though AV 1, 2 & 3.   I have my television connected through HDMI out ARC 1.  I get audio from all three connected devices, but no audio via the AVR if I watch Netflix or Youtube etc on my TV.   I have ARC enabled on both the amp and my TV but have had no success in getting audio from TV to amp.

2.)  Whilst I get audio from my Foxtel box through the AVR, for some reason the video constantly flickers on and off on the TV.   I have contacted Foxtel support (next to useless) who offer the standard (try another HDMI cable).  Connected the Foxtel box direct to the TV via HDMI the flickering video display is not encountered.

Interested in any advice that could assist me to resolve these issues.

Thanks in advance.   

1 hour ago, barryj46 said:

I recently acquired this AVR, which is my first AVR with HDMI input/outputs.   I have two issues that I have not been able to resolve.

1.)  I am seeking to be able to play audio from my TV (LG OLED65E) through the amp, without success.

I have my UHD Bluray, PVR and Foxtel connected to the AVR though AV 1, 2 & 3.   I have my television connected through HDMI out ARC 1.  I get audio from all three connected devices, but no audio via the AVR if I watch Netflix or Youtube etc on my TV.   I have ARC enabled on both the amp and my TV but have had no success in getting audio from TV to amp.

2.)  Whilst I get audio from my Foxtel box through the AVR, for some reason the video constantly flickers on and off on the TV.   I have contacted Foxtel support (next to useless) who offer the standard (try another HDMI cable).  Connected the Foxtel box direct to the TV via HDMI the flickering video display is not encountered.

Interested in any advice that could assist me to resolve these issues.

Thanks in advance.   

ARC is often problematic. Try powering the AVR and TV off at the wall, not just to standby. Then restart AVR first, then TV. If that doesn't work, power off both at the wall again and restart in reverse order. Sometimes a complete reset of the AVR helps, but if all else fails you might have to revert to using an optical cable for audio.

Recent Yamaha AVRs are known to output a meagre HDMI voltage - this makes cable quality vital. Try using high speed certified cables.

In LG web os there are more than 1 setting you need to adjust to make ARC work i had this issue 2 years ago with the mother in laws LG and soundbar...i cant recall the exact settings other than there are more than oner and they are not in the same menu.

I know its not ideal, but as a last resort, could you run an optical cable to take care of audio?

Thanks for your suggestions.   I have tried the powering off and on the devices in differing sequence - no change.

Have tried several HDMI cables (2.0 spec) but again no change.   I've ordered some HDMI 2.1 spec cables and will give these a try when they arrive.

Unfortunately the optical cable route isn't available as the optical port in the back of the TV has been broken and the cable will not remain in place to allow audio by that route.

52 minutes ago, barryj46 said:

Thanks for your suggestions.   I have tried the powering off and on the devices in differing sequence - no change.

Have tried several HDMI cables (2.0 spec) but again no change.   I've ordered some HDMI 2.1 spec cables and will give these a try when they arrive.

Unfortunately the optical cable route isn't available as the optical port in the back of the TV has been broken and the cable will not remain in place to allow audio by that route.

Try putting the optical cable in the port and then surrounding it with a blob of blutac. Not elegant, but...

The Yamaha seems to apply the ARC audio as AV1 which may conflict with HDMI1 input. Try removing any other devices from HDMI1 input socket, go through the steps to turn off all the HDMI control & ARC settings on both TV and Yamaha, power down everything, then after restart set up HDMI ARC again on the TV then the Yamaha and see how it goes. I have RX-A1030 and it was getting all sorts of confused until I found this. I suspect that the device plugged into HDMI1 & the HDMI CEC/ARC channel were causing some strange conflict. I first became suspicious after I noticed that every time I used the HDMI1 (cheap DVD player in my case) device the HDMI control on the TV was messed up when I went back to TV. I could sometimes get it to work and sometimes the HDMI control would keep trying to connect without success and sometimes it just didn't seem to try at all.

Thanks to everyone for the various advice.  The good news is...........it is now up and running.

The fix for the Foxtel IQ4 flickering video issue, I discovered in a Foxtel user forum.  A mere 237 pages of issues, complaints and suggested fixes.  In the end the fix was simple but somewhat perplexing.   When the IQ4 is supplied, it comes with a Foxtel Blue HDMI cable.  I and most other people it would appear, connect this cable to the AVR and then another HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV.   The fix was to simply swap the cables.  The Blue Foxtel cable has to connect from the AVR to the TV.  Any other V2.0 high speed HDMI cable can be used to connect the IQ4 to the AVR.   Flickering video disappeared instantly.

The second fix was the suggestion of using Blutac.   Simple but very very effective.

Thanks one and all. 

Edited by barryj46