Sign in to follow this  
Les_K

My first 'hi-fi' consisted of....

...a Garrard SP 25 Mk 3 with a Goldring G800 cartridge, an Amstrad Integra 4000 amp, and some awful no-name speakers. Yes, I was starting at the bottom (though I did convince myself at the time that everything sounded great!) Very pleased to join Stereonet and I hope to contribute to some of the discussions as time goes by.

National SB400 Speakers, Kenwood KA-6000 and random Technics CD Player

AMI Jorgen speakers - no idea who made these.  Marantz amp, turntable of some description (awful in retrospect), later added a Phillips CD player very early adopter.  The Phillips was very solid, weighing in around 7 kilos, with a steel tray and wooden cabinet.   The start of a very long journey that continues till today.

Ar94 speakers, sony es integrated amp and cd player, dual semi auto turntable with ortofon om10 cartridge

My first personal HiFi system was a Pioneer PL120 table. Sansui AUD55 Amp and Wharfedale E50's.

Posted (edited)

Something that looked very similar to  this Akai MX100 mini system. Honestly does not qualify as hi-fi -  but it was what it were.......you are what you is......dis, dizzy, moni, phoney, fizzy....

image.png.c81dccfdbf4c9bfb260279539aee6b7f.png

Plus an AKAI AP-X1 turntable purchased at a garage sale in the neighbourhood for a tenner (summer 97/98).

image.png.fcb335d87c750b1839952fa41b12e591.png

The TT is still kicking in my 2nd system.

Edited by zippi

National am/fm Radio with cassette player. Build in single mono speaker with record function. Big metal handle on the top to help with moving it around. 

Garrard AP76 Turntable: Rogers Ravensbrook amp.: Goodmans Minister Speakers.

0b4e04a2-635b-44c3-95fd-a6ed316d509b.jpg

Garrard-AP76-Fully-Automatic-Transcription-Turntable-with-Shure.jpg

Rogers-Ravensbrook.jpg

As a kid it was some model of plastic 3in1 units with dual tape players. Then Dad gave me his Wooden cheeked Rotel integrated amp, Connoisseur TT and 3 way speakers which may have been Interdyn. I know he used to buy all his gear from Encel so a fair chance. I bought a Technics  CDP with my first full time pay cheque and then I stupidly traded it all in on some crap HT system from Radio parts.

Kenwood KP-2022A t/t with an Empire cartridge, Monarch amp (model unknown) and a pair of JBL L26 Decades. The huge length of bell wire speaker cable provided was because my dad , when asked how much cable I needed, told the guy I would need lots as I was likely to take the speakers into the toilet with me.

my very first bought with my own hifi...while still a school kid :D (took me a lot of working and saving !)

was a nad 7020e receiver

NAD_7020e_500x222_pixels.gif

and B&W 602 speakers.

BW-DM602-S1.jpg?w=640

my first CD player was a first gen sony 570 Cd player....

s-l640.jpg

the nad was my first purchase when I picked it up at tivoli hifi taking it home on the tram ! used it with some hand me down sony speakers that i replaced the drivers with some Vifas... even tried Vifa kit all sounded horrible.... all went out on the strip... next purchase was the B&W 602... which were a great match for the nad. the sony CD was a ...must get one of those .... :D it was hard and shrill sounding as early Cd players were yet it had a lot of wow and slam and being the latest thing......and a quite a bit of my hard earned as a kid went into getting one of those ! eventually replaced it with a 2nd hand marantz 52SE (there is one in the classifieds) Belgium made and simply sublime it was ! 

we still have the nad and the B&W speakers and they are going fine....

my parents main system had the vinyl.... with a phillips deck and that got put away once CD came along....

As an apprentice we built a 2.5 watt RMS stereo receiver, everything from etching the pcb to the tuning indicator (toothpick painted white).

16 ohm oval speakers.

@Les_K nice intro post/ subject! 👍

Had too many systems to recall all but started on the road with some kit Phillips speakers I mountedon a baffle board - this progressing to speaker boxes I built and veneered in Walnut.

Ran it with a Hanimex cassette deck my folks bought for me in my early teens ,and two valve amps I cannabalized  from old radiograms.

Probably only a few watts output but a nice introduction to hfi !

I also remember buying very early on a Luxman L31 integrated amp, and Acoustic Research AR25 speakers. 

First 'real' HiFi?  Dad's cast offs; Thorens TD124 with the matching Thorens arm, Shure V-15, Akai M-8 reeler also acting as my amp, driving Celestion CX1512s in home made TL enclosures.

Then I built my own 2 x 15w EL84 power amp and used the M-8 as a preamp.

5 hours ago, zippi said:

Something that looked very similar to  this Akai MX100 mini system. Honestly does not qualify as hi-fi -  but it was what it were.......you are what you is......dis, dizzy, moni, phoney, fizzy....

image.png.c81dccfdbf4c9bfb260279539aee6b7f.png

Plus an AKAI AP-X1 turntable purchased at a garage sale in the neighbourhood for a tenner (summer 97/98).

image.png.fcb335d87c750b1839952fa41b12e591.png

The TT is still kicking in my 2nd system.

Yeah I had 1 of those AKAI hit boxes too :D with its record player. But Gotta say my first Hi FI System was a

1. Marantz CD 63SE
  2. Marantz DCC 82
  3. Pioneer A400 Amp
  4. Orpheus Speakers

Still got it all :)  and works cept for the CD player laser. Luv that A400, can see why its in  “The best 19 stereo amplifiers of What Hi-Fi?'s lifetime” list :D

Posted (edited)

Grew up with mini systems not unlike the Akai pictured above.. dark times 😅

First intro to hifi “sound” was probably an iPod shuffle (specifically chosen because of its superior DAC) paired with a Sennheiser PX100. The sound from these two was lush!

First proper system: NAD C320BEE + NAD C521BEE + Wharfedale Diamond 9.1.

Still using the NAD combo to this day, albeit with KEF Q350s. Can’t see any reason to upgrade.. yet.

Edited by hiphile

Marantz 1180dc integrated.

Marantz HD66 speakers

Technics SL-23 t/table

Aiwa tape deck AD-6500.

first stereo was an old radiogram i cut up and made seperate boxes for the amp and turntable, speakers were 8" twin cone in a square box with a sloping front, like i remember in schools for the PA's, though i was in heaven when i bought a Dual TT with a Shure M95ME cart, Kenwood 2002? amp amd Wharfdale 12" 3 way speakers 

Thanks to all for making me welcome by responding to my first post! It's interesting to hear where it all started for people. On reflection, it started for me before I could afford anything at all. As a teenager I could be found in the newsagents eagerly thumbing through the hifi mags (but not buying them, much to the annoyance of the newsagent). I can still be found doing something similar (though I am more likely to buy the mags now).