Sonos to sue google

• Volunteer
7 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

call me old fashioned but there will never be an Alexa or Google assistant device in my home, but there has and will be more Sonos products!

6 hours ago, t_mike said:

Why anyone would willingly put an internet enabled tap in their house has me bugged.

100% agree!

But Sonos does have Alexa these days, so whilst I dislike google/amazon for what they are doing to Sonos (allegedly) I won’t buy a Sonos product that contains a “bug”

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Marc said:

Sonos vs. HEOS, Bluesound, now Google. Who's next?

Anybody else who infringes on their patents! Why sit back and see companies rip off your technology? It's the whole reason patents exist.

I don't know about the Bluesound case, but they won against HEOS didn't they?

Edited by blybo

• Administrator

I don't disagree. Wasn't my point though.

I believe (and I was there in the Sydney office that fully developed HEOS' wireless technology before it launched) that in some cases they didn't rip off the tech, but found other ways of achieving the same end result. But no matter how you go about something, if it infringes a patent then they should be accountable. Sonos obviously protected themselves well.

But - if someone had patented a rocket system to get to the moon - should that mean that no other entity can use any type of rocket propulsion to get to the moon? I don't know and the legal side of tech patents is well beyond my knowledge.

Based on what we've seen so far, I can't imagine anyone is safe no matter how they achieved it. Bowers & Wilkins will surely have to be next with their recently launched multi-room wireless audio platform?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc said:

But - if someone had patented a rocket system to get to the moon - should that mean that no other entity can use any type of rocket propulsion to get to the moon? 

I wish I knew more about this stuff too.   What I can't understand is, are you allowed to invent a different propulsion system to get to the moon, or is the very idea of travelling to the moon, (or the very idea of sending music to speakers wirelessly) patented?

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

are you allowed to invent a different propulsion system to get to the moon, or is the very idea of travelling to the moon, (or the very idea of sending music to speakers wirelessly) patented?

Exactly. I think where Lenbrook have the right approach is to prove that Sonos were absolutely not the first to invent wireless audio and that the very patents they were originally awarded now may be in doubt. D&M didn't take this approach.

I was working for a CE distributor as National Marketing Manager and brought home some samples of wireless speakers to play with that plugged directly into a power point and created a 2.4Ghz mesh network to stream music, years before Sonos even emerged on the market. This was a tiny company out of China manufacturing those products who likely never even applied for patents at the time. 

• Volunteer
8 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Maybe Marconi  was the first to send audio to a speaker wirelessly ??

I remember my grandfather referring to the radio as the "wireless".

He would have chuckled at the excitement around wireless speakers :)

Edited by sir sanders zingmore

Sony successfully circumnavigated and Gazumped  the Telefunken Patents with the PAL Color TVs of the 70's --The first Color TV I had was the 17" SONY "Smudge PAL" Model.

Hell now with the Chinese in full bore Clone mode everything is vulnerable!

Anyone remember the Monster debacle:S!

Only Laywers win in these cases.

Willco

Goodaye all

We have google home much to my disgust.

The daughter uses it as she is wheelchair bound.

Had  a big blew with the the wife about it, she answered we arnt that interesting.?

Lost that argument of course.

l am holding off on the camera and electronic lock for the front door, there here but l am expected to install it.

Some things take a lonnnnngggg time.

What drives me really nuts is they use it to play music through there crappy speakers when there are a heap of Hifi through the house.?

regards Bruce

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marc said:

I think where Lenbrook have the right approach is to prove that Sonos were absolutely not the first to invent wireless audio and that the very patents they were originally awarded now may be in doubt. D&M didn't take this approach.

Yet they are also somehow trying to convince the courts they are not a competitor of Sonos.

sonosvlenbrook-marketing-comp-965x1024.p

Really??? Just coincidence they have a VERY similar aesthetic

Guest thathifiguy
1 minute ago, blybo said:

Yet they are also somehow trying to convince the courts they are not a competitor of Sonos.

sonosvlenbrook-marketing-comp-965x1024.p

Really??? Just coincidence they have a VERY similar aesthetic

Sonos didn't invent the group shot.

And they are marketed at different price points.

8 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

And they are marketed at different price points.

I wasn't referring to the group shot or price points. Patents have nothing to do with RRP.  The casework designs are very similar for all of the speakers and soundbars. Admittedly most soundbars are pretty much similar.

Sonos may not have been the first, but it was their "it just works" ease of use was what made them a winner. They claimed they "reinvented" wireless speakers and multi room audio in much the same way that Apple reinvented the portable music player and smart phone.

Edited by blybo

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

Exactly.

And here's HEOS' version:

Heos_Family-BK_new.jpg

But the photo you linked is the example Sonos put forward to the courts. But Lenbrook posted another that showed the family from another perspective that showed many differences in the aesthetic. In any case, I have no vested interest in any party involved (except for distaste towards Sonos' trade-in program recently announced). The courts will decide if anything wrong has been done I guess.