Home Theater Package Recommendation

Just typed out a huge reply,but your other thread was deleted, so I lost it

The queries I had in particular are

1) Do I require or need a 2 sub setup in the room?

2) If price is not a concern - which SVS to get? SB2000 Pro or PB2000 Pro if I keep both this and the V12.

3) If saying I should keep one sub and sell the V12 then which SVS to get / keep? SB2000 Pro or PB2000 Pro?

4) If I keep both - anything wrong with 2 subs of different calibre / company?

Recommendation I got was to get a V12 and SB2000 Pro as dual. Or sell V12 off and keep SB2000

1.No, but it will help get a smoother response if you put the work in

2.PB2000 Pro. 8-10dB more output than the SB2000 Pro under 35Hz

3.Sell the V12. They are really below average for a ported sub in this range

v12.jpg.f3872e97fb67d654f6085943dbe638ce.jpg

No Passing CEA result at 16 and 20Hz ? That's rubbish for something in this range

97dB at 25Hz at 25% distortion?? and only 102dB at 31.5Hz at 28% distortion?? ( The PB-2000 produced 108dB and 110dB at those  same frequencies with less than half the distortion!!)

The older PB/PC2000 has way way better performance numbers compared to the V12 - and the new 2000 Pro models are apparently a significant step up from them again.

The PB-1000 is around the same RRP as the V12 and handily beats it across the board

(PC2000 numbers - performed by same reviewer with same equipment)

123735240_ScreenShot04-11-20at02_07PM.PNG.3e2c0866a720d1f487a54c4ff944c5f2.PNG

I would sell the V12- get a PB2000Pro and get another one when funds allow

Edited by jamiebosco
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jamiebosco said:

1.No, but it will help get a smoother response if you put the work in

Thanks I thought so

3 minutes ago, jamiebosco said:

2.PB2000 Pro. 8-10dB more output than the SB2000 Pro under 35Hz

Really bad with tech specs but I knew PB2000 Pro are better

3 minutes ago, jamiebosco said:

I would sell the V12- get a PB2000Pro and get another one when funds allow

Thanks.. I was thinking same.. But I guess - for my room size.. Do I really need another? Or ok with the 5.1.4 setup with PB2000 Pro? 

17 minutes ago, LostIdentity said:

Thanks.. I was thinking same.. But I guess - for my room size.. Do I really need another? Or ok with the 5.1.4 setup with PB2000 Pro? 

No one technically NEEDS even 1 subwoofer, so no you don't need another. BUT (as I said before) if you are willing to put some time into setting them up, then yes you would benefit from duals.

I had dual (and then quad) SVS Pb-2000s and managed to get a pretty smooth response - much smoother than when I only had a single

pb2000s.jpg.3d36666ef0d3b01aa5f75963b9c11ea9.jpg

Edited by jamiebosco

Thanks mate appreciate it.. 

One more query.. What will be better in terms of a package

Paradigm Monitor SE Series Package or

Martin Logan Motion 40i Series (probably $3000 more but worth?) but then the sub will come with it Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X

So will become one sealed and ported sub? 

Edited by LostIdentity

31 minutes ago, LostIdentity said:

Thanks mate appreciate it.. 

One more query.. What will be better in terms of a package

Paradigm Monitor SE Series Package or

Martin Logan Motion 40i Series (probably $3000 more but worth?) but then the sub will come with it Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X

So will become one sealed and ported sub? 

Tough for me to say mate, speakers are a very individual choice, what 1 person likes, another may dislike. Subs, on the other hand, can be judged more objectively -  will it meet the performance metrics you require?

Personally I would NOT get any of the packages that include a below  average subwoofer. Bass is soooo important to Home Theatre!!  I would ask for a package deal on the speakers you like best, and go get 1-2 of the best subs you can afford ,either from them or from somewhere else 

Of the choices provided - I would much rather save the $3000 - get the  Paradigm SE package - without the sub - and use the extra money to get dual PSA V1500's from DeepHz

http://www.deephzaudio.com/Specials.html PSA was started by Tom Vodhanel - who is the V in SVS (Stimpson Vodhanel Subwoofers)

Performance wise these are up there with the PB-4000 - so a HUGE jump up from  anything else you're looking at

Fair points guys.. not a dedicated room so trying to figure out bang for buck and keeping it for long.. 

The package with the subs are coming cheaper apparently as the store buys .. so recommended to keep the paradigm or ML sub or sell it off and buy a SVS sub.. 

just need to finalise between paradigm monitor SE or pay premium for a martin logan 40i package. But sub in any case in both will be SVS PB2000 Pro

What kind of ballpark $$$'s are we talking here?

If it was me, I would look at something like these

Centre https://www.selby.com.au/brands/krix/krix-vortex-mk2-centre-speaker.html

vortex_01.jpg.f60fe58eabc8486ac6d3a540c67932c6.jpg

Left, Right and Surrounds https://www.selby.com.au/brands/krix/krix-equinox-bookshelf-speakers-pair.html

equinox_01.jpg.1c133fd9f974fc8267708c870d9ccf8f.jpg

Subs  http://www.deephzaudio.com/Specials.html

1084251289_V1500grillfrontsmall.png.cb19f56121281bc477cc4d14039a271c.png1078335680_V1500-sidesmall.png.660d39d21923d4e5ba5a27b8e6ac4eb4.png

Don't get me wrong, the PB2000 Pro is a very good subwoofer, but the PSA 1500 for $1650 is a no-brainer !!!

• Like 2

Hey Folks

After multiple threads and and a lot of thinking / budget and listening we've finally settled on this setup. Blew our budget but thought to be the right combination on hearing and seeing it

Room: 5.8m(L) x 3.5m(W) x 2.7m(H)

Speaker Setup: 5.2.4

• Martin Logan Motion 40i Spk G-Black x 1 Pair

• Martin Logan Dynamo 1100 12" Sealed Subwoofer x 1

• Martin Logan Motion 30i Centre Speaker G-Black x 1

• Martin Logan Motion FX Surr Pair Black x 1 Pair

• Martin Logan IC8 8 " In-ceiling Speakers x 4

• SVS PB-2000 PRO Ported Subwoofer Black Ash x 1

Screen: Screen Technics Electric Cinema 130" Motorised Drop Down (non tab tensioned)

Projector: Sony VPL-VW270ES 4K Projector

AVR: Yamaha RX-V3085 AV Receiver

Blu Ray: Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Bluray Player

Entertainment Unit: RVM Tauris Titan 2100 Black

Some might say its a waste of money.. Some might say its too weak a setup. Just went with our judgement for this... But please feel free to comment 

Going to be a few months before setup and hopefully will post some pictures then

Thanks for all your input

Edited by LostIdentity
  • Like 1

I'm sure you'll be happy, lot's of good gear there to work with

That said... as previously mentioned by myself and others, I would personally not try and mix those 2 x subs. Mixing ported and sealed (or 2x ported subs with different tunes) can cause havoc with your bass response - as in make it WORSE than just running a single of either due to phase cancellations, and the Yamaha's auto  room correction (YPOA) does little to nothing in the bass region (Audyssey,Dirac,Anthem ARC are all much better here)

If you're set on the Dynamo 1100 in the pack, I'd enquire about swapping the SVS for another one of them, it's not as good as the PB-2000Pro, but getting 2 x matching subs to work together will be much MUCH easier!

5 minutes ago, jamiebosco said:

If you're set on the Dynamo 1100 in the pack, I'd enquire about swapping the SVS for another one of them, it's not as good as the PB-2000Pro, but getting 2 x matching subs to work together will be much MUCH easier!

Thanks.. its the other way round. I do want to keep the SVS PB-2000 Pro . Seller said as in a package it's cheaper for him to get the Dynamo , if I remove it from the package it might not be worth it. He suggested to take it and sell Dynamo 1100 off if not needed or want another SVS as that might fetch me more money then replacing in current package.

Oh ok then...seems weird though… even brand new in box you'll probably take a big hit selling the ML Dynamo 12" right now, it's a shame they won't let you trade it towards a PB-2000Pro at a $$ amount that works for both of you

Edited by jamiebosco

8 hours ago, jamiebosco said:

I'm sure you'll be happy, lot's of good gear there to work with

That said... as previously mentioned by myself and others, I would personally not try and mix those 2 x subs. Mixing ported and sealed (or 2x ported subs with different tunes) can cause havoc with your bass response - as in make it WORSE than just running a single of either due to phase cancellations, and the Yamaha's auto  room correction (YPOA) does little to nothing in the bass region (Audyssey,Dirac,Anthem ARC are all much better here)

I've mixed sealed and ported in my setup. It can work in favour or can work against. I would prefer to go one larger big sub and optimise that before going for two.

@LostIdentity You've done well with getting to where you are. Some more thoughts.... just to add to the anxiety :)

• If you want to save some money hold off on the second sub and change the AVR. I agree the Yammy YPAO is an underperformer but if you can score it for a very very good price then that is a factor. Marantz, Denon - look for a second hand Denon 6300H or similar, or 4500H new. Else just stick with the Yammy AVR if at good price. If not go alternatives mentioned earlier in posts.
  • Ditch the Sony projector - though good for its 4K and processing, just save the money for a Epson TW9400 which throws a brighter picture. Yes 4K would be nice but you don't have a dedicated room so you probably need more light than detail. Whats the point in 'seeing' detail if you don't have the light output to put it there!? Put some $ aside for projector mount and HDMI cable to go with it.
  • New entertainment unit - I suppose this comes to personal preference and looks etc but check Gumtree or furniture seconds stores. I've hunted and grabbed huge bargains. Save where you can. I nabbed real leather 4 seater electric recliners with drink holders for $1200 plus a big of muscle and trailer hire. You could still smell the fresh leather out of its wrapping. You never know, you could score something even fancier.
  • With the money saved in different combinations thereof above consider upgrade to much bigger sub. Yes BIGGER. Your room is only slightly smaller than mine and I'm using SVS SB16 and PB4000. I would recommend a higher model sealed unit from SVS as they give you the ability to digitally signal process sub output. Then use some saved $ and grab a Umik or similar microphone and tweak with REW software. If not you are keeping closer to your budget and saved some money. Do it....
  • edit - forgot to mention if you don't grab a Sub2 now you can always grab one later, either 2nd hand or elsewhere on sale. The key is to tweak your sub you have and maximise that (itself a labour of love). If still wanting more you can buy the SVS/PSA or when budget allows a much bigger sub.

Edited by WasM
see edit
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, WasM said:

Else just stick with the Yammy AVR if at good price.

Thanks @WasM

Already got it as it was a pretty good price :(

8 hours ago, WasM said:

Ditch the Sony projector

Already got it as it was a pretty good price with a new extra bulb :(

8 hours ago, WasM said:

New entertainment unit

This is just the unit.. not sofa etc.. but yeah i have kept my eye out on the market

8 hours ago, WasM said:

if you don't grab a Sub2 now you can always grab one later

I am considering to see how much I save not getting the ML Dynamo.. as the seller said package is cheaper for both for us. I do want to get and keep SVS PB2000 Pro.

39 minutes ago, LostIdentity said:

I am considering to see how much I save not getting the ML Dynamo.. as the seller said package is cheaper for both for us. I do want to get and keep SVS PB2000 Pro.

Sounds like you are all set. Do post some pics once you get going - in the showcase forum. The fun is just starting.

Query - if I should keep only 1 sub.. which one should it be? Dynamo 1100 or SVS? Recommendation I am getting is Dynamo simply because it will all be the same drivers (all speakers).. But getting mixed reviews as well.. getting another SVS 2000 and getting rid of Dynamo is couple of 100's extra.. 

43 minutes ago, LostIdentity said:

Query - if I should keep only 1 sub.. which one should it be? Dynamo 1100 or SVS? Recommendation I am getting is Dynamo simply because it will all be the same drivers (all speakers).. But getting mixed reviews as well.. getting another SVS 2000 and getting rid of Dynamo is couple of 100's extra.. 

there is no need to speaker match with subs... go with what ever takes fancy

IMO I'd keep the SVS - you won't be dissapointed.  I'd also set it up with the one sub - if you position/set it up right there may not be much to gain (possible issues).

I doubt you'll be dissapointed with the one SVS

I have considered adding a second SVS sub but when I think about it half seriously I realise theres absolutely nothing wrong with the set up I have with 1