Home Theater Package Recommendation

Going through a build and looking to see what system I should get and wiring for it

Size: 3.6m (W) x 5.8m (L) x 2.7 (H) approx.

Sitting Distance: Approx 4.5m

Room Usage: General Living Room + Theatre / TV Room. Townhouse and room in ground floor so pre-wiring will be important for access.

Window: Towards the back - behind sofa / projector location. Plan to put curtains but would be open during the day for some light.

Colour Scheme: We were thinking of keeping it neutral being living room and across the home. Sample attached (not my house :P

Budget: $10-$12000 AUD overall.

Will be everyday usage to see Netflix / Disney+ / FTA and movies as well on Plex etc.

Now I was wondering the following

• Keep TV and Projector or just projector or just TV. Current TV is 65" Bravia X95G
  • Thinking 5.1.4 + Amp + 4K Projector + 120" Screen (?)
  • Screen
    • Should I go motorised as it will be a living room so idle to get it folded
    • If TV then need to do bulkhead to get the screen infront of it?
    • Recommendations? Tab tensioned? ALR screen too expensive?
  • Speaker system 
    • Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F Floor-standing Speakers
    • Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C Centre Speaker
    • Paradigm Monitor SE Atom Bookshelf Speakers
    • Paradigm H65-R 6.5” In Ceiling Speaker
    • Paradigm UltraCube 12 650w 12” Subwoofer
  • Amp - No idea - Was thinking Denon / Yamaha / Marantz. Model?
  • Projector - No idea - JVC / Epson / BenQ Model?
  • Thinking Apple TV 4K to play from Plex and other apps like Youtube / Disney+ (when it comes) / FTA (?)
    • Should be sufficient or get a STB?
  • What wiring and types for above? and to keep future in mind?

Planning to buy the system in Q1 2020 unless you can tell me a great deal in Christmas. But trying to figure out wiring currently on urgent basis and setup type

Thanks for your help

c5a4f77f32ab949a5c57d89f82c48744.JPG

Edited by its

I suspect you will be better off going to a HT retailer (not Harvey Norman, JB Hi-fi) and asking for an entire package that can save you money. The downside is that retailers may push their favourite brands.

As a general comment on the room, get curtains on windows and glass doors, rugs on floor.  Get as much soft materials in the room ad possible. Being a shared space, it will be impossible to acoustically treat the room beyond what I mentioned. 

For an AVR (which you called Amp), you mentioned the more common brands. However, my suggestion is to investigate NAD with Dirac Live or Anthem with its own room correction. Room correction will make up for some short comings in a shared space. If you want to read more on room correction software, have a look at this.

• Like 3

all good suggestions from snoopy... definitely keep your main telly... in a room such as this no doubt want to use during day time with blinds open ?

a room like this can do some lovely black out curtains and will be in keeping with the look. will be very necessary if wanting to do a projector and have any usability out side of it being pitch black ie night time. curtains however decent ones in keeping wiht the surrounds can itself cost $1k a window with pelmets and such ....

if keep the telly you can just use a motorised screen and is what i do in a room surrounded with windows...

$10-$12k sadly is a little limiting i would suggest for everything.  budget would only allow for a screen such as a grand view motorised. which are decent but things like ALR woudl be way too expensive and not necessary and tab tensioned is not necessary.

id visit a few stores with your room plan and some photos to get an indication of what a realistic budget is after listening to some systems to decide what as a minimum you need.

other alternative is to buy new or 2nd hand one thing at a time and slowly build the system... it will take time as funds permit... but could also end up wiht a pretty awesome system over time. most folk dont just go off and do lot in one hit ... can cost a heck of a lot that ways and rules out 2nd hand as hardly ever will EVERYthing you need be available on the spot 2nd hand... things like AVRs buy superseded ....can buy something from 2015-16 and will be half or less in original price and do just about anything could ever dream for or need.

• Like 3

That's great advice - go slow. No need to buy all at the same time. I've been building mine up slowly over the last few years and it's still nowhere near as good as betty's [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

My pro tip would be to double wire for additional speakers especially at the rear and atmos but keep the cables you don't need tucked in.

Also I didn't see the point of using banana plugs at the wall (use the brush plate instead) as it's an additional connect point for cables when instead you could run theough without any cable split.

Good luck :)

36 minutes ago, betty boop said:

$10-$12k sadly is a little limiting i would suggest for everything.  budget would only allow for a screen such as a grand view motorised. which are decent but things like ALR woudl be way too expensive and not necessary and tab tensioned is not necessary.

id visit a few stores with your room plan and some photos to get an indication of what a realistic budget is after listening to some systems to decide what as a minimum you need.

I'll second the recommendation to visit a few stores to get some ideas and refine what makes sense.

I did think the budget was too low for everything. Betty's suggestion on going second hand is good but can be frustrating when you have a new house and no HT gear. It also relies on developing knowledge on what you want (hence store visits first!). Maybe get TV plus a basic AVR setup first and then go projector later. By all means, have wiring in place etc.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, MaxPlumage said:

That's great advice - go slow. No need to buy all at the same time. I've been building mine up slowly over the last few years and it's still nowhere near as good as betty's emoji1.pngemoji1.pngemoji1.png

My pro tip would be to double wire for additional speakers especially at the rear and atmos but keep the cables you don't need tucked in.

Also I didn't see the point of using banana plugs at the wall (use the brush plate instead) as it's an additional connect point for cables when instead you could run theough without any cable split.

Good luck :)

ha its amazing how some stuff eg speakers/sub amps and such can be 10+ years old and still be upto doing a fantastic job at things ! 

great tips in wiring, . agree too no need for additional connections of bananas on walls. :)

27 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I'll second the recommendation to visit a few stores to get some ideas and refine what makes sense.

I did think the budget was too low for everything. Betty's suggestion on going second hand is good but can be frustrating when you have a new house and no HT gear. It also relies on developing knowledge on what you want (hence store visits first!  Maybe get TV plus a basic AVR setup first and then go projector first. By all means, have wiring in place etc.

one approach.. and this is what i did for my first system was just start with AVR and main speakers ...telly have already... will have sound and it will sound fantastic over anything TV can muster and the OPs 65" telly is a good start for picture ...

ps above approach does need to have an end game in mind... ie deciding this is where want to end up and work upto it.... to get that though indeed have to demo and check stuff out and be realistic what want to end up with and do in affordable sized chunks in time as wallet allows ...

projector for me didnt even come much after. Had to get a lot of help on how to even pull off in my room but got there with some mulling over a few years ! I suspect OP will have to do a bit of work to get the room conducive to projector ....

• Like 2

A man with a plan and a great opening post.

I reckon, keep just the tv and don't bother with a screen for now.

Spend the budget on a pair of really great front speakers and a powerful two channel amp.

I've heard how loud and clear the Klipsch RF 7 II went, these will fill you room, house and street.

https://klappav.com.au/collections/floorstanding-speakers/products/rf-7-iii-floorstanding-speaker-pair-black

https://klappav.com.au/products/m5si-integrated-amplifier-silver?variant=35729391681&currency=AUD&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItoGe95O55QIVgpKPCh1F0w-1EAYYASABEgKGVfD_BwE

Build the rest over time and never pay RRP.

Think about adding a home theatre pc or nas to take advantage of internet tv/films which really is the future.

this is kind of thing can pick up $2k a full 5.0 setup that looks imacculate and saves about $2.5k occurs would want to know actually is up alley and kind of thing aiming for as a full setup :)  just add telly.... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

get curtains on windows and glass doors, rugs on floor

Thanks.. that is the plan.. 

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

However, my suggestion is to investigate NAD with Dirac Live or Anthem with its own room correction.

Never heard of them.. will look into it thanks

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

in a room such as this no doubt want to use during day time with blinds open ?

Well this is what we were wondering on if I should keep or not? That means I will need to do a bulkhead to drop the screen infront of it? Just figuring out if I should or not.

some lovely black out curtains

We are hoping to put that in.

budget would only allow for a screen such as a grand view motorised. which are decent but things like ALR woudl be way too expensive and not necessary and tab tensioned is not necessary

Thanks.. Will look into grand view motorised if they are good. Yeah ALR will be too expensive for my budget

1 hour ago, MaxPlumage said:

Thanks for the tip.. brush plate I will consider

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

By all means, have wiring in place etc

That's what I want to know.. where projector mounts.. 1 x power, 1 x HDMI and 1 x ethernet should be enought? 4 x top ceiling sports for the atmos speakers and 2 x side of front wall for standing tall speakers and 1 x center and 1 x sub?

1 hour ago, warweary said:

A man with a plan and a great opening post.

haha.. I always try that.. wife says sometimes too much :P

1 hour ago, warweary said:

Think about adding a home theatre pc or nas to take advantage of internet tv/films which really is the future.

Have that already and running Plex

I did forget to mention that i do have a current setup which is an old Yamaha amp and 5.1 speakers. small room. So do have some idea on such things but obviously no expert or up to speed with what's in market.

I am not an audiophile and thus just trying to understand currently during build as it is a townhouse and will probably be difficult or messy to do wiring after build

• In this space - to go projector or not?
  • Wiring needed and spots to do so. How to terminate them in wall at each location?
  • To Keep TV and not to keep. I won't want to spend money on new one as current one is 65" X95G which is pretty new. Concerned about viewing distance of 4.5-5m but won't spend to get a bigger TV. Rather spend it on the setup. 
  • To do a bulkhead to get the screen out and drop infront of TV or not to keep and just attach it to wall
  • Where would i need power for motorised screen? top right or top left or both sides? 
  • How does the wall colour look in the pic above? We think its right balance between daily use living room + dark room movies.
  • 5.1.4 should be enough for this room / me thus wiring for it?

I do understand I can get the gadgets and add later which I intend to in Q1 2020 but these above things are needed to be decided now and talk to builder about them. BTW he is a great guy (one man company) and won't cost an arm length to get stuff done so we need to lock these things (and other such during build issues).

Just seeing.. I don't really need a bulkhead as the screens come with ceiling hanging brackets as well? And most of the ones I saw have power to the right for wiring?

And these motorised ones with IR remote - I am guessing we can integrate with Harmony Elite Remote?

Edited by its

while a klipsch fan here the suggested rf-7  is just silly, $9k?  you can count on 1 finger the number of 2nd hand matching rc-7 centre that come up or the newer rc64  at $3300, let alone the surrounds etc.. klipsch has ridiculous pricing in aust. there is a 2nd hand set of rf7's for sale but still too much when getting the other speakers to match.

remember the room is basically empty.. furnishings, cables, speakers, subs (yes 2), seating, screen, projector, avr, possible separate amp, players etc, mounts, stands, booze fridge?... all need budgeting for.

op needs to do 3 things only.. research, plan and then research. take your time, learn about the items that you will actually use and remember in the end its your money, so with the research and planning get what you like, within your budget.

Edited by hopefullguy
  • Like 1

Going through a build and looking to see what system I should get and wiring for it

Size: 3.6m (W) x 5.8m (L) x 2.7 (H) approx.

Sitting Distance: Approx 4.5m

Room Usage: General Living Room + Theatre / TV Room. Townhouse and room in ground floor so pre-wiring will be important for access.

Window: Towards the back - behind sofa / projector location. Plan to put curtains but would be open during the day for some light.

Colour Scheme: We were thinking of keeping it neutral being living room and across the home. Sample attached (not my house [emoji14] ) 

Budget: $10-$12000 AUD overall.

Will be everyday usage to see Netflix / Disney+ / FTA and movies as well on Plex etc.

Now I was wondering the following

• Keep TV and Projector or just projector or just TV. Current TV is 65" Bravia X95G
  • Thinking 5.1.4 + Amp + 4K Projector + 120" Screen (?)
  • Screen
    • Should I go motorised as it will be a living room so idle to get it folded
    • If TV then need to do bulkhead to get the screen infront of it?
    • Recommendations? Tab tensioned? ALR screen too expensive?
  • Speaker system 
    • Paradigm Monitor SE Atom Bookshelf Speakers
  • Amp - No idea - Was thinking Denon / Yamaha / Marantz. Model?
  • Projector - No idea - JVC / Epson / BenQ Model?
  • Thinking Apple TV 4K to play from Plex and other apps like Youtube / Disney+ (when it comes) / FTA (?)
    • Should be sufficient or get a STB?
  • What wiring and types for above? and to keep future in mind?

Planning to buy the system in Q1 2020 unless you can tell me a great deal in Christmas. But trying to figure out wiring currently on urgent basis and setup type

Thanks for your help
c5a4f77f32ab949a5c57d89f82c48744.JPG.2606157880ae9ee4a0687d8890c0a08b.JPG
Where is your TV going to be placed, above the fire place?

Where are you planing the center speaker, and is your potential screen going to cover it?

If you are going to run wires through ceilings and walls, then just "wire" it for the max. Run conduits instead of plain wires if you can, and run a pull string through them upfront, if possible. Keep in mind that HDMI cables are terminated with a rather wide plug.

Run ethernet as well to the projector, and your TV, it's always helpful in automation or HDMI over Ethernet.

Hang your projector in a convenient spot, most modern projector won't have a problem with light output for 2K with your room length, But 4K might be a different story. Projector Central has an online calculator that will come in handy.

Wire for 2 subs if you can, but you'll have to figure placement out, up front. Well placed subs can deal with nulls and peaks where EQ can only deal with peaks. A "subwoofer crawl" would the best option to determine this.

Run some ceiling cornices around your projector and potential motorised screen to integrate them into the room.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Primare Knob said:

Where is your TV going to be placed, above the fire place?

lol.. i said in the post that this picture is for colour scheme and not my house

Thanks for the other tips though.. figuring out as we go.. if someone can answer my bullet points in previous post that will be helpful for me to begin with for build :D

Looking at this speaker set

• Paradigm Monitor SE Atom Bookshelf Speakers

Do no speakers go behind the projector / sofa? All go in front with the ceiling speakers on top?

Edited by its

Yeh photo just to reference the colour wasn't a great idea or really needed, might surprise you but most people just scan posts and not read every word.

why have you chosen the paradigm speaker set? Have you heard it or does it just fit the budget? Once this is known we can conclude if you are choosing on specs or taste and if just specs we can start to rule out system matching which will make it easier for everyone.

10 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

while a klipsch fan here the suggested rf-7  is just silly, $9k?  you can count on 1 finger the number of 2nd hand matching rc-7 centre that come up or the newer rc64  at $3300, let alone the surrounds etc.. klipsch has ridiculous pricing in aust. there is a 2nd hand set of rf7's for sale but still too much when getting the other speakers to match.

remember the room is basically empty.. furnishings, cables, speakers, subs (yes 2), seating, screen, projector, avr, possible separate amp, players etc, mounts, stands, booze fridge?... all need budgeting for.

op needs to do 3 things only.. research, plan and then research. take your time, learn about the items that you will actually use and remember in the end its your money, so with the research and planning get what you like, within your budget.

I agree, Hopeful. The Aus retail Klipsch prices are just eye-wateringly depressing, when compared with US prices. However, I couldn’t resist the behemoth RC64 iii centre to go with my 8000s, and wow, I was  just blown away by how good it is. 

21EAF0DB-4976-4F1B-9CB9-E1023AB1B1CC.jpeg

Thanks guys.. yeah I had heard older sets of paradigm and fits in my budget but not finalising on units yet

just looking for answers to start with build time

15 hours ago, its said:
  • In this space - to go projector or not?
  • Wiring needed and spots to do so. How to terminate them in wall at each location?
  • To Keep TV and not to keep. I won't want to spend money on new one as current one is 65" X95G which is pretty new. Concerned about viewing distance of 4.5-5m but won't spend to get a bigger TV. Rather spend it on the setup. 
  • To do a bulkhead to get the screen out and drop infront of TV or not to keep and just attach it to wall
  • Where would i need power for motorised screen? top right or top left or both sides? 
  • How does the wall colour look in the pic above? We think its right balance between daily use living room + dark room movies.
  • 5.1.4 should be enough for this room / me thus wiring for it?

12 hours ago, its said:

Looking at this speaker set

• Paradigm Monitor SE Atom Bookshelf Speakers

Do no speakers go behind the projector / sofa? All go in front with the ceiling speakers on top? Just to understand where should I wire behind? top or bottom

My HT is in a constant state of upgrade without funds to do so. 

I'd personally suggest the NAD t758 v3 or its bigger brother the 777. However they only amplify 7 channels albeit very well. So a 5.1.4 setup needs 2 extra amps. Either good amp to run fronts or smaller to run ceiling speakers. NAD have a 4 channel amp which would run ceiling speakers nicely then fronts could be bi-amped, I believe the NAD allows  this.

Alternatively as your seating position is well back, maybe just 2 ceiling speakers omitting the need for extra amps. Of course you could go Yamaha or denon etc with 9 amps but the NAD really seems better with Dirac live.

If I were in your position right now start auditioning speakers for what you like and get what you like. Get a NAD receiver and run 7 channels 5.1.2. Leave the screen and projector for now. Cable for everything up to 5.2.4 or even 7.2.4 and projector. Extra ceiling and surround speakers can be added later with extra amp channels and projector.

Edit. Just found out about a new NAD coming, the 778. 9 channels amplification which solves my issue of wanting 9 channels for 5.1.4. Coming in November rrp though is 5k AU.

Edited by SGS
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Planning a basic home theatre setup with 5.1.4 setup mainly with Paradigm speakers.. 

Have a choice of Denon AVR-X4500H or Yamaha RX-A2080 - Which one would you recommend? Both are at similar price point for me atm. 

Need to decide urgently. Dealer suggests Yamaha for sound and warranty.

Edited by its

Yamaha RX-A2080 has up to 9.2 channel processing, while Denon AVR-X4500H has up to 11.2 channel processing which you can future upgrade to 7.1.4 if desired.

Yamaha is better known for reliability, but Denon has the upper edge with Audyssey EQ which can improve sound quality better. Between the two I would go with Denon.

id go with the denon, for the superior audyssey xt32. the x4500 is a decent unit too for the money. am also not too sure re yamaha and paradigm ?

id definitely demo with paradigm to decide. 

Hey Guys

Back after a while as build is still continuing.. So this is the system suggested to me 

• Epson EH-TW7100 Projector
  • ViewMaster Pro 120" Motorised screen
  • Denon AVR-X4500H or Yamaha RX-A2080 
  • Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F x 2 pc
  • Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C x 1 pc
  • Paradigm CI Pro P80-R x 4 pc
  • Paradigm Surround 1 / 3 x 2 pc
  • Paradigm Defiance V10/12 Sub Woofer x 1 pc

Still working out the cost and installation but I think I might be able to stretch to get them.. What do you guys think? Again - not an audiophile but trying mid range for speakers / amp / projector / screen etc.. 5.1.4 setup I think is ok for my 3.6m (W) x 5.8m (L) x 2.7m (H) room which is not dedicated theater but a living room as well...  

instead of the tw7100 id if possible go the epson 9300... ive seen it for about $500 more than tw7100 is going for. so well worth the dollar upgrade (which could be absorbed in package deal in any case). if want to save some bucks maybe swap out the viewmaster with a grand view ? also does it have to be motorised ? as a fixed screen eg from oztheatre is likely a cheaper option - coming direct from a maker.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

instead of the tw7100 id if possible go the epson 9300... ive seen it for about $500 more than tw7100 is going for. so well worth the dollar upgrade (which could be absorbed in package deal in any case).

Thanks.. Will look into Epson EH-TW9300

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

also does it have to be motorised ? as a fixed screen eg from oztheatre is likely a cheaper option - coming direct from a maker.

Has to be as I am keeping the TV which is going to be behind and then the screen to drop down infront of it when in use.

So apart from doing Epson for projector and perhaps Denon for Amp overall its a decent package?