realysm42

Good quality Australian mains plug

I've got a good quality power lead that I'd like to recycle, to do so I need to remove the Schuko plug that's attached and fit an Australian plug.

I don't want to spend millions on one (so the blingy Furutechs are out), can you guys please point me to reasonable alternatives that are better than cheapo generic junk? I'm happy to spend ~$60 maximum on it.

Also, is it safe to rewire a plug that had two wires (Schuko) to Australian (three). As you can tell I'm a noob with this so don't know much about it and want to remain safe first and foremost.

Thanks for your help in advance.

3 minutes ago, realysm42 said:

is it safe to rewire

a noob

No

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

No

Thanks for letting me know; I’ll leave it there.

Unless you’re letting me know it isn’t safe to rewire a noob 😛

Edited by realysm42

1 hour ago, realysm42 said:

I've got a good quality power lead that I'd like to recycle, to do so I need to remove the Schuko plug that's attached and fit an Australian plug.

I don't want to spend millions on one (so the blingy Furutechs are out), can you guys please point me to reasonable alternatives that are better than cheapo generic junk? I'm happy to spend ~$60 maximum on it.

You won't have to pay that much - your standard HPM plug like a 106/1WE (or 106/2WE if the cable is thick) will be just fine.

However, I need to point out you are legally required to have a licenced electrician do the plug swap.

Also, is it safe to rewire a plug that had two wires (Schuko) to Australian (three). As you can tell I'm a noob with this so don't know much about it and want to remain safe first and foremost.

Not quite sure what you're meaning here, r42?

Are you saying your, so called, "quality" power lead only has 2 wires.  In which case, connecting this wire to a 3-pin Aussie plug is not legal - as it means the component which uses it will not have a mains-earthed case.

Andy

it isn’t safe to rewire a noob 😛

Hehehee.  I almost wrote that.

Put it this way... if sound quality depends on your plug... then exactly how you terminate it (crimping, soldering, etc.) is critical.   Contrary to intuition, big things are more difficult to terminate than small things, which makes power cords difficult in that respect.

That's before we've got on to the safety issues.... and on that front, noobs can likely be "safe enough for their own use", given some common sense, and practise.

.... BUT.  You seem here for the sound quality ($60 plug) .... so I can't advise you go for it.   If you just want a "well made cable" ie. safe and robust.  Then buy one, IMVHO.

6 minutes ago, andyr said:

Not quite sure what you're meaning here, r42?

Are you saying your, so called, "quality" power lead only has 2 wires.  In which case, connecting this wire to a 3-pin Aussie plug....

😉

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your help in advance.

Really depends on what you want to use the lead & plug for

The bulk of hand held power tools do not run an earth but still use a 3 pin plug so your 2 wire lead connected to a 3 pin plug will be fine. Of course, provided your connections are to the correct pins. (Assuming you just want to use the cable to  hard wire to a power tool, not something that requires an earth)

If you want to use it to run something that needs an earth then it will be unsuitable. This is easy to determine as your appliance or whatever you want to use it on will have a 3 pin socket connection or 3 wires running to it

Edited by swervyn
"Assuming"

15 hours ago, realysm42 said:

Also, is it safe to rewire a plug that had two wires (Schuko) to Australian (three).

Just FYI, Schuko does not have two leads. The term Schuko is actually the contraction of the name for the third (earth) lead: Schutzkontakt (protective terminal).

In my first post I was trying to be detailed and seemed to have caused more confusion so I apologise for that; I meant a two pin plug (Schuko) to a three pin (Australian) plug.

Really all I'm asking is it safe to convert a mains lead that is currently wired as a Schuko to an Australian plug.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, realysm42 said:

Really all I'm asking is it safe to convert a mains lead that is currently wired as a Schuko to an Australian plug.

As others have mentioned these are your definitive answers:

Is is safe - Probably, as long as it’s done correctly. 

Is it legal - No

You need a electrician to do the cable change for you (eg. replace the cable to the equipment with a 3 pin). 
You could also get a tech to install a IEC connector into the chassis but even then that is probably pushing the boundaries as it was engineered for what is currently installed. 

Best to leave as is IMHO. 

Edited by Mungbean66

7 hours ago, realysm42 said:

In my first post I was trying to be detailed and seemed to have caused more confusion so I apologise for that; I meant a two pin plug (Schuko) to a three pin (Australian) plug.

You have explained that the current mains plug (its make is irrelevant) is a 2-pin plug.

From this, we have to assume the wire from the present mains plug to the component only has 2 wires.

Perhaps you could tell us what component this mains wire is plugged into?

Your problem is that:

• Oz mains plugs normally have 3 pins.
  • this implies they generally use 3-wire cable - the 3rd wire being an earth wire.
  • this 3rd wire is there for a purpose - so if you simply use a 2-wire mains cable with a 3-pin plug ... you are doing without a 'safety earth'.

Andy

Schuko plugs are Active, Neutral and earth.. 3 wires 

796px-DIY_Schuko_plug_wiring.jpeg.2ada1dfa32b29d93491a06121672b436.jpeg

Therefore an Australian 3 pin plug should be OK as long as your cable contains 3 conductors and the appliance end is a 3 pin plug too.. 

Wiring it will require knowledge because getting it wrong could not end pretty. 

Post up some photos of it and measure the diameter of the cable and I might have some recommendations and a cheap legal way of swapping it over. 

You will be looking at a 10A plug to fit into a normal wall socket. 

Clipsal make two (both under $12), you can order at Middy's. 

They look "audiophile", but probably don't have gold/rhodium/unobtainium in their materials.  I think they are sturdy and an upgrade from the cheap plugs from Bunnings. 

Clipsal's an Australian company, so you are reassured they meet Australian standards (which you can't be sure of buying from China, esp. the knock-off's eg. Oyaide connector clones).

- 1439S =   standard 10A version, suitable for "1 sq mm ordinary duty three core flexible cords".  If the cord is slightly bigger than normal it won't fit into these. 
- 1439SHD = "HD" 10A version, takes up to 11mm cord entry size, this is what to get if you have a shielded cable.

Note that they also make a 15A and a 20A in the same series, which won't fit the standard wall outlet.

I'm not aware of any other similar Australian plugs, unless you go for overseas manufactured plugs. 

files?p_Doc_Ref=ODA1439SHD-TR&p_File_Ext

Again, make sure you know what you are doing before you start. 

If you do it yourself, at least get a Test+Tagger to check it for safety before you use it.

Posted (edited)

Just had a look at the HPM website.  They have a black "10A finger grip plug top" which looks a bit audiophile, but probably no different to the standard cheap plugs.  It's probably in the catalogue to cater for people with disabilities who struggle with the standard plug design.  It's telling that when you click the "specifications" on the webpage no spec's are displayed. 

90bl-2.jpg

If you do it yourself, at least get a Test+Tagger to check it for safety before you use it. 

Edited by audiofeline

On 08/01/2020 at 4:28 PM, realysm42 said:

If the appliance end has a two-wire fitting (eg. figure-8), it would be appropriate to remove the earth pin from the mains socket to reinforce that it's not an earthed cable (unless you use the earth plug to ground a 2-wire cable with additional earth shielding in the wire). 

If the appliance end is a 3-wire fitting (eg. IEC C13), then the 3 wires need to be connected at both ends, with a 3-pin mains plug. 

Posted (edited)

And the Bunnings "Delta" brand "DETA 10A Heavy Duty Rewireable Plug Top" (model 6310B ).  Similar looking to the Clipsal 1439S plugs.  "Suitable for 3 core, 0.75mm2 and 1.0mm2 ordinary duty or heavy duty flexible cords."

It's a massive $4.55, so will easily fit your budget. The price is also a good indication that there are no exotic materials used in it's manufacturing.  In it's favour it does look nicer than a cheap+nasty plug (just as the Norwegian Blue (parrot) has a beautiful plumage). 

92e95743-8388-4e20-88a0-e62531fb665c.jpg

I'm posting these as info for those who are appropriate to install, or for other people to buy and get someone who is appropriate to install it for you. 

The parrot reference above will be obvious to those schooled in Monty Python, I forget that some people aren't.

Edited by audiofeline

In summary, I don't think there is anything in an "audiophile"/ range made in Australia, you will need to look at imported versions for anything made with exotic materials (and hope they are standards-compliant).  Personally, I use the Clipsal. 

after termination thousands of clipsal and HPM products over the years my money is with clipsal, it just feels better to work with but I have never had a technical or safety reason to choice one over the other..

as for Delta could count the times I have used them on one hand, and plan to keep it that way..

another option is the 56P310 from Clipsal as it will take a larger diameter cable and upto 6mm2 conductors

https://www.clipsal.com/products/detail?CatNo=56P310&tab-document-1=0

CLPIMG_C0002363_web.JPG.10f190761f5ef064c46a4d4bcc95d3a9.JPG

just remove the captive ring

R K Cables use them for their Hifi Power cables

http://www.rkcable.com.au/RKCABLE15.htm

shieldedpowercablerkcable1.jpg.5739bb96dc8e5e679e46cfc876a74a5e.jpg

Edited by Hytram

btw..

this might be worth a read

On 08/01/2020 at 5:50 PM, andyr said:

you are legally required to have a licenced electrician do the plug swap

Yer, this is one of the things about Australian wiring regs.

Hey, I liked this from the R K Cables web site (my bolding of the description of "we took the ring off")

All new stock of R.K.CABLE 1.5 will be fitted with the new Clipsal 56p310 ,

it features  a brass earth pin and the body has been refined for easier handling

Delta is rubbish - cheap and nasty - looks good but lacks real quality. Personal experience tells me this.

Wow, thank you all for the information, I appreciate it.

Edited by realysm42

Didn't even realise that I had a Clipsal 56P310 in the shed. 

They are big, you won't get 2 of them next to each other and might be pushing to get anything next to it.. 

Plug next to it is a standard 3 pin plug off a C13 appliance lead. 

20200111_165609.thumb.jpg.9a4f38e897ef25bee14903e8c0e832a8.jpg

I have literally made up hundreds of power cables over the last 14 years, some of which are probably still in use by members here.

My favourite plug is the PDL901BK which is a side entry plug.

These have the advantage (IMO) of the cable hanging straight down the wall from the outlet.

Other plugs including the 56P310 (an otherwise nice plug) have the cable sticking out from the wall., and heavier cables can cause the plugs to pull out partially, especially with older outlets which may not grip the pins firmly.

In extreme cases this could result in poor contact of the phase and neutral pins effecting SQ, or even overheating of the contacts.

From memory these PDL901BK plugs can handle cable diameters of up to 9mm.

I reiterate all the above comments of the need for safety and testing of DIY power cables before use.

@brendanrule

Good thinking about gravity and the larger plugs.. 

What's your thoughts on the clipsal 418s and the PDL901BK

They look very similar. 

I know with the Clipsal, anything larger than a standard 3 core flax cable would be struggling to fit