Sign in to follow this  
happydoomer

Help for turntable

Hi guys, have just purchased a Thorens td150 and was wondering if anybody could recommend someone  with history on old turntables for help. Live outside of Geelong Victoria but willing to travel for good service. I think it just needs a good going over but the turntable and arm board seem to be on an angle.

My good mate, Rick Powell has a Thorens and will be able to help you, hd.

However, he lives in Melbourne.  PM me if you're interested in his contact details.

Andy

I did a resto on one last year https://vinylnirvana.com/product-category/thorens-part/page/2 is the best place for parts. as a minimum you would want new springs and belt for it.  If you want to get parts from local seller there is one in Adelaide and he sells in ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=dkeagostdavid&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xthorens.TRS0&_nkw=thorens&_sacat=0

I doubt you will need springs but a new belt will probably be needed. 

I remove the speed change fork as it rests on the belt a bit

Painting the chassis with under body deadening paint is a good mod.

I usually laminate acrylic to the underneath of the arm board too

The bearing is easy to clean and re-oil with a light weight synthetic 

Watch out that the ball bearing isn't lost as it will come out when the TT is turned upside down. It not like the later TTs. Or am I confusing that with an Orpheus Silex?

A decent plinth is a good idea. 

Just check the motor for slop in the bearings and fluff around the shaft 

That's about it

I have two of them and they are my favourite TTs because they're old like me

I don't think the arm is in the same league as the TTs but it's not a bad arm

I run a Syrinx on mine 

Rick P is the TT guru. 

Highly recommend!!!

I believe Ben who I saw at Carlton HiFi is a collector of turntables and also good at servicing them, he has come to Adelaide before to  service and set up TT's for VAF customers etc

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dawso8
      Item: Thorens TD160 Turntable
      Price: $800
      Item Condition: Used, but very good for it's age. Original dust cover is almost perfect. Small superficial marks on the top plate (see picture) that do not effect performance.
      Reason for selling: Surplus 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

One of the classics from the classic era, this is a tweakers' dream.

Presents very well in mostly original condition. Serviced, set up & upgrade of required components; summary of work completed:

cleaned inside & out motor oiled tuned and dialed in TP16 tonearm new hinges installed for dust cover new Ortofon OM10 cartridge installed and set up  Thakker belt included new feet installed upgraded Mogami RCAs installed  
      Plenty of information on the Internet that best sums up this classic deck. 

Performs admiringly next to my heavily tweaked Thorens TD125

Pick up in Melbourne western suburbs, happy to demo. Could deliver locally if not too far.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By flat_eric
      Item: Thorens 160 B MkII turntable with SME 3009 tonearm and Shure V15-III cartridge
      Price: $1350 plus postage (if applicable)
      Item Condition: Very good for age
      Reason for selling: Upgrading
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal
      Extra Info:

The Thorens TD-160 turntable is a tweaker’s heaven and arguably one of Thorens’ best.  

This one is in very good condition for its age and sounds great. It comes with a SME 3009 tonearm and Shure V15-III phono cartridge - an iconic matching with the Thorens.

The SME 3009 has a reputation for being the perfectionist's tonearm, so if that is your thing you will not go wrong with this setup. 

Just send me a PM if you need more information or any specific photos and I will be happy to assist. 

• By mdm1979
      I currently have a Thorens TD-240 
      It's time for me to replace my Ortofon 2M blue. I'm interested in upgrading to the 2M Bronze but I am open-minded to going all out for the 2M Black. It may be overkill though. Interested to hear any opinions.
      Cheers
      https://theaudiophileman.com/thorens-td-240-2-turntable-review/
      https://www.ortofon.com/ortofon-2m-bronze-p-325
      https://www.ortofon.com/stylus-2m-black-p-393
    • By oztayls
      Item: ERA 3033 Turntable
      Price: 860
      Item Condition: NOS 
      Reason for selling: Less than a handful left. 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD
      Extra Info: Will ship for $25-$40 depending on the area. Controls relubed, main bearing relubed, tonearm setdown lever adjusted for smooth, slow operation. ERA (Etudes et Recherches Acoustiques) were somewhat ahead of Thorens, AR and Linn for the time with their thicker steel deck, cast alloy sub-deck, 48-pole Premotec motor with ss pulley and just excellent all round engineering. The in-house tonearm (medium mass) bearings are top shelf. Basically you are getting a turntable exactly as it was sold out of the legendary Recorded Music Salon in Collins Street by Mr Pinczewski.

• By Max Headroom
      Item:  Thorens TD125MK2
      Price:  $650
      Item Condition:
      Reason for selling: Too many turntables, not enough time!
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Thorens TD125MK2 in good original condition. Lid has some scuffing but otherwise turntable’s condition is really nice. Comes with Thorens TP16 arm and two new switch covers. Has new Thakker belt.

Many years ago my first ‘serious’ turntable was a TD125, and I’ve had a soft spot for them ever since, so much so that I couldn’t resist getting this one. But too much gear and not enough time means this should go to someone who will appreciate it! Great as is, fantastic when upgraded. 

Donation to SNA on successful sale