Sign in to follow this  
happydoomer

Help for turntable

Hi guys, have just purchased a Thorens td150 and was wondering if anybody could recommend someone  with history on old turntables for help. Live outside of Geelong Victoria but willing to travel for good service. I think it just needs a good going over but the turntable and arm board seem to be on an angle.

My good mate, Rick Powell has a Thorens and will be able to help you, hd.

However, he lives in Melbourne.  PM me if you're interested in his contact details.

Andy

I did a resto on one last year https://vinylnirvana.com/product-category/thorens-part/page/2 is the best place for parts. as a minimum you would want new springs and belt for it.  If you want to get parts from local seller there is one in Adelaide and he sells in ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=dkeagostdavid&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xthorens.TRS0&_nkw=thorens&_sacat=0

I doubt you will need springs but a new belt will probably be needed. 

I remove the speed change fork as it rests on the belt a bit

Painting the chassis with under body deadening paint is a good mod.

I usually laminate acrylic to the underneath of the arm board too

The bearing is easy to clean and re-oil with a light weight synthetic 

Watch out that the ball bearing isn't lost as it will come out when the TT is turned upside down. It not like the later TTs. Or am I confusing that with an Orpheus Silex?

A decent plinth is a good idea. 

Just check the motor for slop in the bearings and fluff around the shaft 

That's about it

I have two of them and they are my favourite TTs because they're old like me

I don't think the arm is in the same league as the TTs but it's not a bad arm

I run a Syrinx on mine 

Rick P is the TT guru. 

Highly recommend!!!

I believe Ben who I saw at Carlton HiFi is a collector of turntables and also good at servicing them, he has come to Adelaide before to  service and set up TT's for VAF customers etc

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mr Vintage
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Holland Park State: Queensland Payment Method: Reason for selling: Wanted to Buy Further information: 

Hi all, 

I’m interested in buying an SME S3 Tonearm. 

Feel free to get in touch if you have or know someone looking at selling.
      Its going on a Thorens however, will consider another brand that also works well on a suspended deck.
      With or without Cart is fine.
      Price listed is a guide. Will negotiate upon application. 
      Cheers!

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved
    • By Tax
      Item Condition: Vintage Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: NSW 2745 State: New South Wales Payment Method: EFT, Cash on pick up Reason for selling: Can't decide Further information:

PRICED TO SELL

Vintage Thorens TD160 turntable with TP tonearm. Original plinth and wiring. 

This TT has quite a global following. It is a suspended table and can be upgraded (if desired) by adding a new heavier plinth and new tonearm wiring. Some say they prefer this to a Linn. You can decide.

Prefer a local sale but also happy to hand deliver it to the local Pack and Send if you want it shipped interstate. You will need to organise pack and send to box them up for you as I do not have the original boxes.

Photos show condition of this fine vintage TT and form part of the item description. Has some dynamat on the underside of the top plate which you can remove if preferred. It was considered a tweak.

I have not mounted a cartridge on this original TP tonearm as I was using the turntable with a SME3009 tonearm and Audio Technica AT155LC cartridge which are not part of this sale.

You will need to mount your own cartridge.

Priced fairly for a quick hassle free sale. Thanks for looking!

Photos:

• By Yarrum78
      Item Condition: Excellent Original Condition Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Mitchelton State: Queensland Payment Method: Eft or Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Surplus to my needs The Thorens TD 160 Super was the top end model of the 160 Series. This premium Thorens model was not manufactured in great numbers, in fact there's a business that creates these as reproductions from standard 160's.

For those who don’t know, what made the Super model the Super was a heavier platter, and a 'floating suspension' system. The platter and main bearing are supported on a secondary chassis which is spring-mounted to isolate it not only from the main case and external forces but also from vibrations of the motor. To preserve pickup/platter geometry, the pickup arm board is also mounted directly on to this sub-chassis. It also has internal dampening to benefit sound quality and a base cover. 

This particular TT is unmolested, with perhaps only the plugs replaced. I haven't used it regular for the last 3 years and it probably should be lubricated. A belt is provided and is still supple and should serve you for many years. 

It currently has a Denon103R fitted. I am happy to remove that if you want to save yourself some money. The cart has had less than 100 hours use.

Some minor imperfections do exist:
      There are some small nicks in the particle board base a long one side, they are not visible from the front. The lid needs a polish, but there are no deep gouges. The hinges need some adjustment to hold the lid in place if opened beyond 90 degrees.   
      Pickup preferred. For serious buyers I can demo the TT connected to a Weston Time Machine and a pair of Zu Audio Omen Bookshelf speakers.

Any questions, please feel free message me.

Photos:

• By Sansui77
      Item: Vintage Turntable
      Price Range: Neg
      Item Condition: Used
      Extra Info:

Looking for a vintage turntable project or complete table. I was thinking of a Garrard 401, Thorens etc. Let me know what you have.

• By Dawso8
      Item: Thorens TD160 Turntable
      Price: $800
      Item Condition: Used, but very good for it's age. Original dust cover is almost perfect. Small superficial marks on the top plate (see picture) that do not effect performance.
      Reason for selling: Surplus 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

One of the classics from the classic era, this is a tweakers' dream.

Presents very well in mostly original condition. Serviced, set up & upgrade of required components; summary of work completed:

cleaned inside & out motor oiled tuned and dialed in TP16 tonearm new hinges installed for dust cover new Ortofon OM10 cartridge installed and set up  Thakker belt included new feet installed upgraded Mogami RCAs installed  
      Plenty of information on the Internet that best sums up this classic deck. 

Performs admiringly next to my heavily tweaked Thorens TD125

Pick up in Melbourne western suburbs, happy to demo. Could deliver locally if not too far.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.