Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

Chris,

Open and live. Are you going to Mod your 103s?

Cheers

Ray

Not in the near future. I want to explore some of the smoother, warmer carts now, like one or two from the Benz and Grado lines, as sometimes my analog front end can sound too similar to cd. I have read very good things about that AT33-PTG though.

Cheers,

Chris

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lyra Atlas Lambda SL.       Brand new Lambda version which sounds a little different to the old one and gone from green body to purple. crazy price for new, but Lyra have generous rebuild prices

The final pieces of the puzzle for the Kuzma Stabi Ref 2 arrived last week - the Kuzma 313 Ref VTA tonearm and CAR 40 cartridge.   The arm replaces the 9" Stogi Ref (which I was actually ver

just thought i should add mine to this collection   Duc  

Here's my DIY regulated PSU for my Graham Slee communicator. Rock steady at 24v and superbly quiet noise floor.

post-110771-133763728714_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the look of the Ortofon LH8000 headshell, so when i was looking to mod a Denon 103R and mount it in one of Lovetube's wooden bodies I thought that they would make an excellent match. I handed over the headshell to Duc and let him pick the best match, which turned out to be this lovely snakeskin. Duc then had to make a special width body for me to match the width of the Ortofon headshell. I think he has done an amazing job not only matching the timbers but also in aligning it with the width of the headshell. A very professional finish.

I am not very good when it comes to DIY so Michael (Brownemi) came to my rescue again and performed the surgery on the 103R.

I was of course very fortunate when i mounted the final product on the Thomas Schick arm that correct alignment allowed me to aligned

the body with the front of the headshell.

So thanks Duc for a very professional job, and Michael for taking the scalpel to the 103R.

Not only am i happy with the look but the finished product also sounds great.

post-120735-0-67159300-1338718475_thumb.

post-120735-0-85302100-1338718531_thumb.

post-120735-0-24067100-1338718631_thumb.

• Like 1

I really liked the look of the Ortofon LH8000 headshell, so when i was looking to mod a Denon 103R and mount it in one of Lovetube's wooden bodies I thought that they would make an excellent match. I handed over the headshell to Duc and let him pick the best match, which turned out to be this lovely snakeskin. Duc then had to make a special width body for me to match the width of the Ortofon headshell. I think he has done an amazing job not only matching the timbers but also in aligning it with the width of the headshell. A very professional finish.

I am not very good when it comes to DIY so Michael (Brownemi) came to my rescue again and performed the surgery on the 103R.

I was of course very fortunate when i mounted the final product on the Thomas Schick arm that correct alignment allowed me to aligned

So thanks Duc for a very professional job, and Michael for taking the scalpel to the 103R.

The man does lovely work!

Cheers

M

Guest JohnA

love the look of it

thanks for sharing and glad to read you are happy with it

Thank you Mark.

lovely photos . enjoy

Duc

AT33PTG in my (somewhat dusty) LP12/Ittok, this is going into an ME25 and as well as normal listening, I am then using a RME Fireface 400 as ADC to get stuff into and back out of a Mac Mini

post-110821-0-28042900-1339310489_thumb.

post-110821-0-08617200-1339310511_thumb.

Birthday Pressie, thanks Steve (Tal)

This is now fitted to a 1978 Planar 3, setup was easy as it was the same height as the cart already fitted, this is a lot heavier due to Tal's mod (the dark grey gunk). sounds pretty good though, Phono is the built in stage in my Copland with a 10:1 SUT as the Copland is MM only. I had some hum but that was fixed by shorting the earth to one of the output phonos on the SUT.

My 2M Black - running via PS Audio PS on a 1Xpression III Classic, on a Herbies Way Good mat - quite good sound considering the overall budget (total spent about $2250)

Photo taken on a Nikon D5000 using Nikkor 1:1.8 D 50mm at 800ISO/f/2.8/Shutter 1/30

post-110771-0-62724700-1339635643_thumb.

post-110771-0-97652200-1339635960_thumb.

Edited by ajst2duk
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had a 12 inch Phantom II arm wand for a few months now sitting idle in the box. Too lazy to set it up and i had other pleasant distraction like enjoying the music getting in the way. :) Well the opportunity came recently when i had to remove the Phantom 2 to try out a prototype 16 inch arm on the Micro so when it was time to reinstore the Phantom 2, I finally took the long wand out and match it with my MC-A90.

Compared to the 9", i think the longer wand probably trades off a bit in dynamic but subjectively it has a bit more ease and flow to my ears, tracks a bit better too. Very good match with my Allnic H1500 LCR.

Phantom12A903.jpg

Phantom12A901.jpg

Phantom12A902.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Lyra Delos MC cartridge. Demo unit with 20hours from Warwick @ PureMusicGroup. Best retail hifi service I've experienced, can't recommend his service enough! Thanks Warwick! :)

Very happy with the Lyra now that I have put more hours on it. Very big, open & dynamic, but still refined and balanced sounding in my opinion.

Cartridge is mounted on a 12" Analog Instruments Apparition tonearm. Signal fed into a AK Labs SUT then into an Aural Thrills Audio MM phono preamp (12ax7 valves with 274b valve rectification).

Enjoying the dark side!

2vty0k2.jpg

2zo9efr.jpg

Edited by tuyen
  • Like 1

Cartridge is mounted on a 12" Analog Instruments Apparition tonearm. Signal fed into a AK Labs SUT then into an Aural Thrills Audio MM phono preamp (12ax7 valves with 274b valve rectification).

Do I spy an Onken style bass cabinet + midhorn on top? :) More pics please.

Do I spy an Onken style bass cabinet + midhorn on top? :) More pics please.

Yessirreee :) I'll create a new showcase thread on my system sooon. In short, its a high efficiency (~100db) 4-way diy speaker setup. Using mostly GOTO UNIT drivers/horns and a Beyma TPL-150 driver. How about yourself? hornlover?

Whoa, top shelf drivers, respect :)

Mine are DIY Tractrix midhorns with corner-loaded rear basshorn. Drivers FCoil & also inexpensive Seas paper cone fullrange. Crossoverless (almost).

Looking forward to your Show Us Your Horns & Loudspeakers thread ;)

This is a good thread to put these here.

The very lovely and getting better by the record Audio Technica AT33 PTG/II. On the SME IV arm on the Model 20.

at33.jpg

at33-3.jpg

at33-2.jpg

• Like 1

Hergest, is the finger lift on your SME a custom jobbie?

I don't recall that (when I owned) the SME V had a finger lift at all?

For whatever reason the PTG-II didn't float my boat.

Very competent, but didn't engage and communicate like the SoundSmith retipped Denon 103R.

To be fair, the low hour Ortofon Jubilee that I recently acquired is pipped by the Denon in this regard too - though I found the Ortofon more robust and involving than the AT.

One could argue that both the Jubilee and the PTG are more tonally neutral than the Denon - and the Jubilee especially reproduces soundspace better - but the Denon captures the feeling and has such presence and vitality.

I like the way the Denon illuminates instruments in the field of depth too (this is not a strength of stock 103R).

For me, its hard to concentrate on anything but the music with the Denon.

Of course cartridges are very system dependent, so many variables. Obviously you're getting great results with the PTG. Enjoy!

Hergest, is the finger lift on your SME a custom jobbie?

I don't recall that (when I owned) the SME V had a finger lift at all?

For whatever reason the PTG-II didn't float my boat.

Very competent, but didn't engage and communicate like the SoundSmith retipped Denon 103R.

To be fair, the low hour Ortofon Jubilee that I recently acquired is pipped by the Denon in this regard too - though I found the Ortofon more robust and involving than the AT.

One could argue that both the Jubilee and the PTG are more tonally neutral than the Denon - and the Jubilee especially reproduces soundspace better - but the Denon captures the feeling and has such presence and vitality.

I like the way the Denon illuminates instruments in the field of depth too (this is not a strength of stock 103R).

For me, its hard to concentrate on anything but the music with the Denon.

Of course cartridges are very system dependent, so many variables. Obviously you're getting great results with the PTG. Enjoy!

Paul, the finger lift came as stock on the IV arm. I did use it for a couple of days without the finger lift early on when i bought it about 10 years ago as i thought it was like a tuning fork sticking out but i noticed no sonic difference and the difficulty of using an arm with no finger lift was maddening.

I reckon the AT cart is a synergy thing as right from the start it drew me in and continues to. It replaced an Ortofon Cadenza Black and while the Ortofon, like the Jubilee that preceded it is as you say more involving but i would put my enjoyment of the AT as 9/10ths of the Ortofons but for a 1/4 of the price of a new Cadenza it's a no brainer.

One day i shall try a Soundsmith 103. I've only ever had a bog standard 103 that had a lovely midrange but bugger all else to recommend it and i could never get over the lack of inner detail with the stylus profile. I've got my Phase Tech P3 at Soundsmith now for a retip of the stylus only, keeping the original boron cantilever and i'm interested to see how that works out. The Phase Tech has a gorgeous, seductive midrange and it makes me wonder if that's an attribute due to the low compliance like the Denon 103. Or maybe the 103 is no longer a low compliance with the Soundsmith ruby cantilever?

The soundsmith ruby cantilever lifts the DL-103 to such a height compared to the standard, plus I have rebodied mine in an aluminium body, just so quiet and detailed it is not the same cart.

The soundsmith ruby cantilever lifts the DL-103 to such a height compared to the standard, plus I have rebodied mine in an aluminium body, just so quiet and detailed it is not the same cart.

Ditto with ESC Ruby retip.

BTW, how long does as take these days and the cost?

One day i shall try a Soundsmith 103. I've only ever had a bog standard 103 that had a lovely midrange but bugger all else to recommend it and i could never get over the lack of inner detail with the stylus profile. I've got my Phase Tech P3 at Soundsmith now for a retip of the stylus only, keeping the original boron cantilever and i'm interested to see how that works out. The Phase Tech has a gorgeous, seductive midrange and it makes me wonder if that's an attribute due to the low compliance like the Denon 103. Or maybe the 103 is no longer a low compliance with the Soundsmith ruby cantilever?

Hergest, the SoundSmith retip certainly transforms the capabilities of the 103R. It's pretty amazing how much more clarity, detail and precision it gives the cartridge - across the full range but especially in the highs (which I think are better, ie more realistic, than the Jubilee). Tracking of the stock cartridge was very good, but the line contact is considerably better (though the Jubilee is supreme in this regard).

The great strength of the 103R for me has always been it's musical communication - this is preserved with the retip. I found the SS 103R much more convincing in the Midas aluminium body - less coloration, more realistic. You could still pick holes in the sound when directly comparing to more expensive cartridges, but the whole is more than the sum of the parts IMO.

I don't think the standard ruby/line contact retip alters the compliance to any great degree. Though Soundsmith do offer a more involved rebuild that gives higher compliance.

Hard to say what the 'secret' is to the 103 sound. Some suggest that the Alnico magnets used in the motor are responsible - a feature it shares with upper Dynavector models, Miyabi cartridges and perhaps some others(?).

Ditto with ESC Ruby retip.

BTW, how long does as take these days and the cost?

I recently paid $250 plus post for the mid retip and turn around is about 10 weeks.

Here's my Black Ebony wood body DL103R and modified by ESC. I would take the ESC over the Soundsmith modification too and the longer wait for the ESC is well worth it! :thumb:

BlackEbonyESCDL103R-1.jpg

BlackEbonyESCDL103R.jpg

And while I'm at it.................the sensational Brinkmann EMT ti.

BrinkmannEMT.jpg

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 2

Here's my Black Ebony wood body DL103R and modified by ESC. I would take the ESC over the Soundsmith modification too and the longer wait for the ESC is well worth it! :thumb:

Keith, nice pics.

I'm interested in your impressions if you have you compared the ESC to the SoundSmith - particularly the OCL Soundsmith retip?

BTW, what is that arm you have your 103R mounted on?