metal beat

Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

Phono stage : Whest PS30R

Cartridge. : Ortofon Cadenza Blue

... *points to thread title* "show us" :)

Oooo, you're such a martinet, Hero Kid! :)

Regards,

Andy

It seems to use a different wood to the ebony of my (original) LP?? :)

Regards,

Andy

Next time I am at my friend's place will take a closer look at his older Benz LP.

Honestly I only noticed the ebony of the Benz LPS when I took the photos with flash!

I thought it was black like the Dyn XX2.2.

Ping: kcc123.

The Stanton 681EEE is capable of exceptional performance, if you do the following:

* Remove the brush completely.

* Have the stylus replaced with a high quality grain-oriented, line contact type.

* Replace the cantilever with a boron one.

Those mods will elevate the 681EEE to the very top of MM cartridges.

Kcc, 10 tables and over 40 carts?.................very nice.

Analog nutter alright...........not that there is anything wrong with that :(

Thanks,datafone!

Ping: kcc123.

The Stanton 681EEE is capable of exceptional performance, if you do the following:

* Remove the brush completely.

* Have the stylus replaced with a high quality grain-oriented, line contact type.

* Replace the cantilever with a boron one.

Those mods will elevate the 681EEE to the very top of MM cartridges.

Hi Zaphod Beeblebrox,

Thank you for your suggestion! I think the upgrade of the boron cantilever and line contact stylus would be costly, much more than the cartridge itself. LOL!

I am not aware of any retipper who does the replacement of a boron cantilever, could you recommend one, please!

Hi Zaphod Beeblebrox,

Thank you for your suggestion! I think the upgrade of the boron cantilever and line contact stylus would be costly, much more than the cartridge itself. LOL!

Indeed. By a factor of around 3 times. And, it is worth every penny. The 681EEE is an excellent cartridge, deserving of a better sylus. At least, get rid of the damned brush!

I am not aware of any retipper who does the replacement of a boron cantilever, could you recommend one, please!

The Garrott Bros in Victoria can do the job. I've had a few done and the results are astonishingly good.

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Brain fart

Whilst the 681EEE (moving iron) is an excellent cartridge the Superstar MM Stanton is the 881s. The 881s stylus is the proprietary Stereohedron (shibata variant)

It's reputation and performance are excellent.

I'd like to compare it to a few $5000+ cartridges just to hear how much more music you get for the money.

ME-25 and Clearaudio Maestro

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38639[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38640[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38641[/ATTACH]pencil.png

Indeed. By a factor of around 3 times. And, it is worth every penny. The 681EEE is an excellent cartridge, deserving of a better sylus. At least, get rid of the damned brush!

The Garrott Bros in Victoria can do the job. I've had a few done and the results are astonishingly good.

Thank you for your info!

It seems that the exchange rate is very unfavourable to me at the moment as one sterling pound is about 1.53 AUD and also the postage and insurance are going to add a bit of salt to the wound.

By the way, I have just found out that Northwest Analogue in UK can do the job as well and it turns out that the cost is cheaper too.

Thank you for your info!

It seems that the exchange rate is very unfavourable to me at the moment as one sterling pound is about 1.53 AUD and also the postage and insurance are going to add a bit of salt to the wound.

By the way, I have just found out that Northwest Analogue in UK can do the job as well and it turns out that the cost is cheaper too.

There you go. At least, get rid of the brush. It is an easy, zero cost option for you. Naturally, you'll need to make appropriate alterations to tracking pressure. And, by get rid of the brush, I don't mean putting it up out of the way. It should be completely removed from the stylus housing.

There you go. At least, get rid of the brush. It is an easy, zero cost option for you. Naturally, you'll need to make appropriate alterations to tracking pressure. And, by get rid of the brush, I don't mean putting it up out of the way. It should be completely removed from the stylus housing.

I always thought that the brush was only there for a bit of damping and cleaning but nothing else, so get rid of it would be a good idea. In fact, I don't use it very often because I have much better cartridges than the stock 681EEE, not sure after the mods you mentioned above though.

rega ios and ortofon cadenza black

th_006.jpg?t=1323127640

th_005.jpg?t=1323127640

rega ios and ortofon cadenza black

th_006.jpg?t=1323127640

th_005.jpg?t=1323127640

how do you find the Cadenza Black? I have the Cadenza Blue, it is 1 week old and wish I bought the Black instead.

how do you find the Cadenza Black? I have the Cadenza Blue, it is 1 week old and wish I bought the Black instead.

I love the sound it puts out, good pressings sound great. However average pressings sound not so flash.

Straight out of the box i was happy with it, but after about 50hrs the sound was alot more open and neutral.

Also find it takes about an hour for the system to warm up to it's best.

What phono stage use could also have an impact on it aswell.

I started with a project tubebox II a touch muddy for my liking. Then tried a PS audio gcph, much wider sound stage and would still have it if i did not have a chance to try the ios.

The ios and cadenza black for me has hit the sweet spot.

cheers

Dave

i am using a Whest PS30R phono stage and it sounds wonderful. I agree that it takes a long time for these cartridges to warm up. The first time i played it, it was stunning....then it sounded terrible but now with 100hrs it si opening up more and more.

I bought the Blue instead of the Black because people told me that the Blue is a bit more dynamic (not as smooth as the Black) and I like to listen to rock.

...good idea ! ... I think its also a good idea to generally get rid of the (any) stylus guard (remove it completely & store it), as Im sure it can vibrate on some level in addition to inhibiting the full expression of the cartridge to some degree...When doing critical work on the TT, just pull the stylus out (if MM) and put it in a safe place (ie: in a fish tank like Orfeus by all indications does ... :thumb:)

Edited by TigerScent

I also found the aluminium mini-bolts (with slot screw heads) are basically inferior, and one cannot bolt the cartridge tightly to the tonearm...I just went and got some (identical in size) hex head stainless mini-bolts/nuts; from Nut & bolt supply store, and tightened the cartridge onto the tonearm quite firmly with allen key (Rega style)...

I also found the aluminium mini-bolts (with slot screw heads) are basically inferior, and one cannot bolt the cartridge tightly to the tonearm...I just went and got some (identical in size) hex head stainless mini-bolts/nuts; from Nut & bolt supply store, and tightened the cartridge onto the tonearm quite firmly with allen key (Rega style)...

Surely the issue is ... just how tight does the cartridge need to be connected to the headshell? I would've thought, yes, more than finger tight ... but not max-torque tight, using an Allen key? :thumb:

And I hope you reset VTF to cope with the heavier bolts & nuts. :)

Regards,

Andy

Surely the issue is ... just how tight does the cartridge need to be connected to the headshell? I would've thought, yes, more than finger tight ... but not max-torque tight, using an Allen key? :thumb:

Regards,

Andy

...well, firm and as reasonably tight as possible (at least on RB300/250 tonearm) ..., and yes, of course resetting VTF ... naturally...

Edited by TigerScent

Regards,

Andy

... however, one can only tighten so much with an allen key due to leverage limitations..., failing that, a compressed air ratchet wrench (as used in tyre places) would certainly ensure the cartridge is firmly coupled 2 the headshell... :)

... a compressed air ratchet wrench (as used in tyre places) would certainly ensure the cartridge is firmly coupled 2 the headshell... :)

Geez, you had me going there for a while, I thought you must been serious...........air ratchet wrench to tighten cartridge bolts, LOL!:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith