Jump to content

metal beat

Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dubbase_909 said:

With the Ortofon cartridge I find it to be very accurate, articulate and responds very well to the music I play.  From deep base to synthy highs, I am more than happy.  The cartridge, transformer and MM input work just fine.  Bring round a bag of records, and see what you think for yourself.

 

I have absolutely no doubt, Dub, that your system:

a.  sounds great, and

b.  makes you very happy.

 

So there is absolutely no benefit to me - or to you - for me to bring some LPs over and just 'have a listen'.

 

Where I'm coming from is ... are you getting the best out of your Winfield ti?  IOW can your system sound better - by loading your cart differently?

 

If you're happy with how it is ... then that's great!  :thumb:  (I'm never at this stage - I'm always thinking about how I can make mine sound even better:lol: )

 

But if you're at all curious as to whether it can sound better ... this needs experimentation with a 20x headamp and a stash of load plug values.  Which I'm happy to bring over.

 

Of course, it may well turn out that the best load for the Winfied ti is  93 ohms (or, rather, a 100 ohm resistor in the case of the head amp).  But until you experiment with different loads ... you will never know.  :)

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/08/2019 at 10:35 AM, Guest DarkNark said:

Trying out my first MC cart. :thumbsup:

 

_MH19470.jpg.ac0d74c3ef1169c530e1191f17327f75.thumb.jpg.8ca03a68fc3aeae5ef317e5362882eea.jpg

 

 

Starting out in the Lyra constellation, man that's living !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Townshend Elite Rock Turntable. Owned since new 1984, Townshend Excalubur Arm. Denon 103R MC Cart.

Rock05.jpg

Edited by bevwil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, bevwil said:

Townshend Elite Rock Turntable. Owned since new 1984, Townshend Excalubur Arm. Denon 103R MC Cart.

Rock05.jpg

Lovely deck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, shawnwes said:

A couple of pics

WIN_20191024_14_14_32_Pro.jpg

587357776.jpg

Lovely cart the xv-1s.  I luv mine. 

 

It does look slightly misaligned front the photo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/02/2020 at 2:05 AM, metal beat said:

Lovely cart the xv-1s.  I luv mine. 

 

It does look slightly misaligned front the photo.  

I’m enjoying mine a lot also. Pic was from first quick install to make sure there were no issues. Final setup incl a USB scope, Feickert Protractor & AnalogMagik software.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/08/2019 at 10:35 AM, Guest DarkNark said:

Trying out my first MC cart. :thumbsup:

 

_MH19470.jpg.ac0d74c3ef1169c530e1191f17327f75.thumb.jpg.8ca03a68fc3aeae5ef317e5362882eea.jpg

 

 


beautiful photo. Do you have in high res. Would make a great desktop wallpaper!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


The new Primare R35 has just landed in-store and as an owner of its predecessor, Ive been looking forward to hearing this. A kilo heavier than the R32, the gain for MC (adjustable) has also been increased to an impressive 76dB.

Initial listening is very favourable indeed!

 

987502476_PrimareR351.thumb.jpg.1c58b946d78d45ab94c27e4301daedef.jpg

 

1610423536_PrimareR354.thumb.jpg.5959633895ef8d219b0ad46084f87cc5.jpg

 

1453280163_PrimareR355.thumb.jpg.d79a0dcb9ae7fdf665fc0489a7aa4406.jpg

 

1346181866_PrimareR353.thumb.jpg.015f38366c3ac4b7e675747b14d4656e.jpg

 

57664987_PrimareR352.thumb.jpg.199cbb26734e0e4b64fa2bba073d02b4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/02/2020 at 1:23 PM, DubbyMcDubs said:


beautiful photo. Do you have in high res. Would make a great desktop wallpaper!

I took the original photo and can supply a high res version if you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zu Audio Denon 103R finally fitted to the Wand Tonearm. 
No idea how it sounds as I’m between systems at the moment. 
Now to put the cart through the Fozgometer kindly lent by @Tubularbells

BEDEB6E7-F18E-4841-8218-1B1513C48156.jpeg

1D31DA43-36D5-4B5E-B668-84F3439B1114.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

Zu Audio Denon 103R finally fitted to the Wand Tonearm. 
No idea how it sounds as I’m between systems at the moment. 
Now to put the cart through the Fozgometer kindly lent by @Tubularbells

BEDEB6E7-F18E-4841-8218-1B1513C48156.jpeg

1D31DA43-36D5-4B5E-B668-84F3439B1114.jpeg

I reckon you have some nice ingredients to a good sound there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, McCvinyl said:

I reckon you have some nice ingredients to a good sound there.

Cheers. Pimped a Linn some time back and sold it. 
Missed it and bought an old one just to be a second spinner. 
Of course the thing now has Mober motor and bearing and sub platter and a Mose. What addiction?

 

oh and some bits coming from Pathe Wings just to top it off 

 😂😂😂

Edited by jakeyb77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, McCvinyl said:

I reckon you have some nice ingredients to a good sound there.

What do Zu do that puts the voodoo in the Denon? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mwhouston said:

What do Zu do that puts the voodoo in the Denon? 

Heavier weight. Full aluminium body instead of plastic. It goes from 8,5g to 14g. 
I had one of Duc’s wood body ones and loved it. It met an unfortunate ending. 
They also check each cart for spec etc. 

You can do it yourself if you’re very careful and add a wood body or aluminium but it’s tricky. 
Also I love that the head shell screws attach like an Ortofon M cart. No fiddly washers. 
I just think it takes a very good cart and makes it better 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I put a 103 into an aluminium body, was awesome, especially with a soundsmith upgrade.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Batty said:

I put a 103 into an aluminium body, was awesome, especially with a soundsmith upgrade.

 

Nice! Did it yourself? 
My fingers are too clumsy for that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Batty said:

I put a 103 into an aluminium body, was awesome, especially with a soundsmith upgrade.

 

How hard is it to get the plastic body off? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P.S. at about $500 new they are not an expensive cart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

P.S. at about $500 new they are not an expensive cart. 

There is a YouTube video I think. I’ve watched someone do it online. 
I limit the value of my carts as it’s too heart breaking to have anything happen to them 

Plus the $500 - $1000 range seems to be musical enough for me 

Edited by jakeyb77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mwhouston said:

How hard is it to get the plastic body off? 

I found it easy enough, the hard part is the first cut, I followed the You tube video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

There is a YouTube video I think. I’ve watched someone do it online. 
I limit the value of my carts as it’s too heart breaking to have anything happen to them 

Plus the $500 - $1000 range seems to be musical enough for me 

My new Rega P3 was $1K and my Garrott P77i about $600 and I think a good match too. Silly to put $5K carts in 1K arms. But the Denon at ~$500 is a good match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

My new Rega P3 was $1K and my Garrott P77i about $600 and I think a good match too. Silly to put $5K carts in 1K arms. But the Denon at ~$500 is a good match. 

I think with this obsession/hobby of ours it can be a mistake to attribute a level of performance definitively to the price point of a particular component. I’ve used several sub $1k tonearms fitted with $5k+ phono cartridges and those tonearms did not disappoint in any way and more than complimented the phono cartridges being used. I’ve also seen tonearms from one particular manufacturer that you would call inexpensive, rebranded and then the asking price was many times the original.

 

This attributed correlation of cost to performance is by no means restricted to tonearms and phono cartridges either, but it is across the board with audio components in my experience.

 

Cheers,

 

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...