metal beat

Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

On 05/12/2017 at 8:33 PM, weavzy said:

Hard to answer, as the term 'musicality ' is wide open for interpretation.

It certainly fits in to what i perceive as musical.

The two words i use to describe it are Lush and Warm. I know a lot of audiophiles prefer analytical, but i do not. I even use tone controls  (gasp!!).

I wanna swim in the music. Feel it. Its big on bass. And i love bass. 

I can honstly say its been the best upgrade ive made as far as impact goes. 

Ive heard a lot of audiophiles use the term "discotech sound" as a derogatory term for hifi products that dont fit the analytical sound narative they subscribe to. Well, i love bass, warmth and tone controls. If you do to, then the lounge is for you. 

A minor digression.....

As you may know, LCR phono uses inductors instead of caps for bass-lift part of the RIAA phono EQ, a approach chosen by only a few phono designers (Allnic, Zanden,  Ypsilon, Silbatone, Thomas Mayer, Intact Audio...) - all costly ultra hi-end products.

So, LF performance should be good & IME inductors do allow the music to 'breathe' & convey a natural sense of 'power' related to the bott end.

Yes, it may be system dependent, as most phono stages do not sound this way.

However, the Lounge LCR is inexpensive, so one can't expect it overall to match the best -  my MkII model does not out-do my all-out tube phonostage, but it has elements of performance that make it sound unusual, natural & desirable (to me).

Robert  at Lounge Audio says that the MkIII is significantly improved, so I will look forward to auditioning after I send mine for updating at some stage.

Cheers, Owen

http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Edited by Owen Y

[Sorry duplicate post.]

Edited by Owen Y

G'day all, I'm actually on my second MK 3 and I am advised that there have been a couple of subtle changes to the design (and the specs) compared to the original version.  I compared mine to my Schiit Mani last night and the bass from the Lounge Mk 3 is stronger and more 'realistic'.  It may come down to personal preferences, as is often the case!  Regards, Felix. 

Man...that Guys eyebrows....:ohmy:....my Daughter would have a field day...:lol:

Tase

New DVxx2 cartridge (in Ittok LVII), replacing an AT33 PTG Mk1. Have had a brief listen so far. Detail is very impressive, delineation of instruments etc. The noise floor has dropped way down, pretty happy so far. More later

_DSC6404.JPG