Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

I really liked the look of the Ortofon LH8000 headshell, so when i was looking to mod a Denon 103R and mount it in one of Lovetube's wooden bodies I thought that they would make an excellent match. I handed over the headshell to Duc and let him pick the best match, which turned out to be this lovely snakeskin. Duc then had to make a special width body for me to match the width of the Ortofon headshell. I think he has done an amazing job not only matching the timbers but also in aligning it with the width of the headshell. A very professional finish.

I am not very good when it comes to DIY so Michael (Brownemi) came to my rescue again and performed the surgery on the 103R.

I was of course very fortunate when i mounted the final product on the Thomas Schick arm that correct alignment allowed me to aligned

the body with the front of the headshell.

So thanks Duc for a very professional job, and Michael for taking the scalpel to the 103R.

Not only am i happy with the look but the finished product also sounds great.

Thank you Mark.

lovely photos . enjoy

Duc

AT33PTG in my (somewhat dusty) LP12/Ittok, this is going into an ME25 and as well as normal listening, I am then using a RME Fireface 400 as ADC to get stuff into and back out of a Mac Mini

post-110821-0-28042900-1339310489_thumb.

post-110821-0-08617200-1339310511_thumb.

Birthday Pressie, thanks Steve (Tal)

This is now fitted to a 1978 Planar 3, setup was easy as it was the same height as the cart already fitted, this is a lot heavier due to Tal's mod (the dark grey gunk). sounds pretty good though, Phono is the built in stage in my Copland with a 10:1 SUT as the Copland is MM only. I had some hum but that was fixed by shorting the earth to one of the output phonos on the SUT.

My 2M Black - running via PS Audio PS on a 1Xpression III Classic, on a Herbies Way Good mat - quite good sound considering the overall budget (total spent about $2250)

Photo taken on a Nikon D5000 using Nikkor 1:1.8 D 50mm at 800ISO/f/2.8/Shutter 1/30

post-110771-0-62724700-1339635643_thumb.

post-110771-0-97652200-1339635960_thumb.

Edited by ajst2duk

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a 12 inch Phantom II arm wand for a few months now sitting idle in the box. Too lazy to set it up and i had other pleasant distraction like enjoying the music getting in the way. :) Well the opportunity came recently when i had to remove the Phantom 2 to try out a prototype 16 inch arm on the Micro so when it was time to reinstore the Phantom 2, I finally took the long wand out and match it with my MC-A90.

Compared to the 9", i think the longer wand probably trades off a bit in dynamic but subjectively it has a bit more ease and flow to my ears, tracks a bit better too. Very good match with my Allnic H1500 LCR.

Phantom12A903.jpg

Phantom12A901.jpg

Phantom12A902.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Lyra Delos MC cartridge. Demo unit with 20hours from Warwick @ PureMusicGroup. Best retail hifi service I've experienced, can't recommend his service enough! Thanks Warwick! :)

Very happy with the Lyra now that I have put more hours on it. Very big, open & dynamic, but still refined and balanced sounding in my opinion.

Cartridge is mounted on a 12" Analog Instruments Apparition tonearm. Signal fed into a AK Labs SUT then into an Aural Thrills Audio MM phono preamp (12ax7 valves with 274b valve rectification).

Enjoying the dark side!

2vty0k2.jpg

2zo9efr.jpg

Edited by tuyen
  • Like 1

Cartridge is mounted on a 12" Analog Instruments Apparition tonearm. Signal fed into a AK Labs SUT then into an Aural Thrills Audio MM phono preamp (12ax7 valves with 274b valve rectification).

Do I spy an Onken style bass cabinet + midhorn on top? :) More pics please.

Do I spy an Onken style bass cabinet + midhorn on top? :) More pics please.

Yessirreee :) I'll create a new showcase thread on my system sooon. In short, its a high efficiency (~100db) 4-way diy speaker setup. Using mostly GOTO UNIT drivers/horns and a Beyma TPL-150 driver. How about yourself? hornlover?

Whoa, top shelf drivers, respect :)

Mine are DIY Tractrix midhorns with corner-loaded rear basshorn. Drivers FCoil & also inexpensive Seas paper cone fullrange. Crossoverless (almost).

Looking forward to your Show Us Your Horns & Loudspeakers thread ;)