Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

This guy sums it up pretty well.

http://www.soldano.c...ate-rectifiers/

I thought switching noise wasn't much of a problem these days with these snubbers, fast or zero recovery diodes etc - I could be wrong

I guess it ultimately just depends on the type of sound you want and, which is of course, very subjective.

(Sorry to digress further....)

Guitar amp makers design for distortion & tone whereas amps for audio should be designed for minimal distortion, accuracy, musicality.

However it is true I think, that the a lot of the "tube sound" of older style tube amps is due to the PSU & tube rectification.

I try to be openminded when I use or build anything amp-wise, I've used schottkys & fast-soft recovery diodes, but I prefer tubes...partly because SS is less forgiving of abuse than tubes (contrary to common belief!). Personally I keep SS away from signal paths & use SS only in DC heater supplies of non-directly heated tubes. But that's just my (non-professional) opinion...it just sounds better to me that way.

Guest JohnA

John

Got any close up pics of the front panel and back panel of the Edison?

cheers

rear of unit

Brinkmann-Edison-r937x304-C-aaa0cf9d-49195046.jpg

cant find a good high res of the front, this is the best i could find

edison.jpg

and in silver

brinkmann_phono.jpg

ta John

silver does look good :thumb:

I see no rca out, xlr only. That is pretty stupid. Are they trying to be Burmeister or something.

Also, with the spacing of the 3 inputs, it is going to be mighty hard to connect all 3 inputs to a tonearm or table, especially input 3. nigh impossible to get any tonearm cable to split that far when it is your third arm/table.

Edited by turntable

(Sorry to digress further....)

Guitar amp makers design for distortion & tone whereas amps for audio should be designed for minimal distortion, accuracy, musicality.

However it is true I think, that the a lot of the "tube sound" of older style tube amps is due to the PSU & tube rectification.

I can't disagree with that!

I try to be openminded when I use or build anything amp-wise, I've used schottkys & fast-soft recovery diodes, but I prefer tubes...partly because SS is less forgiving of abuse than tubes (contrary to common belief!). Personally I keep SS away from signal paths & use SS only in DC heater supplies of non-directly heated tubes. But that's just my (non-professional) opinion...it just sounds better to me that way.

SS slow start circuits are not uncommon to prevent this.

And as the guy says, as current increases, the voltage drops - it's inherent in all tube rectifiers which means a drop in power when you need it most.

Please don't get me wrong though - I like the sound of valve. it's just easier and more cost effective to achieve a more reliable, efficient, accurate and controllable DC from SS.

I see no rca out, xlr only. That is pretty stupid. Are they trying to be Burmeister or something.

Also, with the spacing of the 3 inputs, it is going to be mighty hard to connect all 3 inputs to a tonearm or table, especially input 3. nigh impossible to get any tonearm cable to split that far when it is your third arm/table.

Their specs say 3 RCA inputs, 2 of which are avail as XLR connections.

Actually a phono cart is a balanced source, so Balanced XLR should be the only way to connect phono. Noise problems might be signif lessened too (superior noise rejection). Another German phono preamp, the Aqvox, offers the same...

http://www.stereophile.com/phonopreamps/708aqvox/

Warrennnnnnn

I can understand the tube preamplifier but why would it use a use a tube rectifier? Is that just to be consistent with the overall design being ‘all tube’?

You'd get much cleaner results with a solid state rectifier - surely?

I'm not the person to ask about design decisions in an amplifier. All I can tell you is that the MiniMax phono preamp is the best I've ever auditioned, let alone owned. If the 6X4 is integral to how it sounds, then Eastern Electric have made the right choice.

Cheers,

Warren

Edited by warrenmmmmm

Their specs say 3 RCA inputs, 2 of which are avail as XLR connections.Actually a phono cart is a balanced source, so Balanced XLR should be the only way to connect phono. Noise problems might be signif lessened too (superior noise rejection). Another German phono preamp, the Aqvox, offers the same...http://www.stereophi...eamps/708aqvox/
Hi Owen, I am talking about the output, not the 3 inputs. Xlr only. There is no RCA output, as I said this is the only phono stage I have ever seen with RCA inputs, but no RCA output.Aqvox offers Xlr and RCA outputs. Can't say I was enamored by it's sound, despite the so called superior balanced plug. YMMV. I think superior design may have a more I importent role to play.I will not get involved in single ended vs balanced as both are valid and both when done correctly do not have noise issues. There is not one superior noise reduction method. Edited by turntable

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

Open and live. Are you going to Mod your 103s?

Cheers

Ray

Not in the near future. I want to explore some of the smoother, warmer carts now, like one or two from the Benz and Grado lines, as sometimes my analog front end can sound too similar to cd. I have read very good things about that AT33-PTG though.

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the look of the Ortofon LH8000 headshell, so when i was looking to mod a Denon 103R and mount it in one of Lovetube's wooden bodies I thought that they would make an excellent match. I handed over the headshell to Duc and let him pick the best match, which turned out to be this lovely snakeskin. Duc then had to make a special width body for me to match the width of the Ortofon headshell. I think he has done an amazing job not only matching the timbers but also in aligning it with the width of the headshell. A very professional finish.

I am not very good when it comes to DIY so Michael (Brownemi) came to my rescue again and performed the surgery on the 103R.

I was of course very fortunate when i mounted the final product on the Thomas Schick arm that correct alignment allowed me to aligned

the body with the front of the headshell.

So thanks Duc for a very professional job, and Michael for taking the scalpel to the 103R.

Not only am i happy with the look but the finished product also sounds great.

post-120735-0-67159300-1338718475_thumb.

post-120735-0-85302100-1338718531_thumb.

post-120735-0-24067100-1338718631_thumb.

• Like 1

I really liked the look of the Ortofon LH8000 headshell, so when i was looking to mod a Denon 103R and mount it in one of Lovetube's wooden bodies I thought that they would make an excellent match. I handed over the headshell to Duc and let him pick the best match, which turned out to be this lovely snakeskin. Duc then had to make a special width body for me to match the width of the Ortofon headshell. I think he has done an amazing job not only matching the timbers but also in aligning it with the width of the headshell. A very professional finish.

I am not very good when it comes to DIY so Michael (Brownemi) came to my rescue again and performed the surgery on the 103R.

I was of course very fortunate when i mounted the final product on the Thomas Schick arm that correct alignment allowed me to aligned

So thanks Duc for a very professional job, and Michael for taking the scalpel to the 103R.

The man does lovely work!

Cheers

M

Guest JohnA

love the look of it

thanks for sharing and glad to read you are happy with it