Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

Geez, you had me going there for a while, I thought you must been serious...........air ratchet wrench to tighten cartridge bolts, LOL!:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

...the allen key/hex head bolts is what Rega use and recommend firm tightening...I have found that to improve sound with greater coupling to the tonearm....; the 'air-ratchet-wrench' is just an 'added enhancement idea'....LOL

...the allen key/hex head bolts is what Rega use and recommend firm tightening...I have found that to improve sound with greater coupling to the tonearm....; the 'air-ratchet-wrench' is just an 'added enhancement idea'....LOL

Yeah, I just had a mental picture of you heading off to your local Beaurepaires dealer to get your phono cartridge fitted!:)

Edit: BTW, wasn't it Rega that also recommended that you don't clean your records and that you should just let the stylus drag all the gunk out of the record grooves?:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

Edit: BTW, wasn't it Rega that also recommended that you don't clean your records and that you should just let the stylus drag all the gunk out of the record grooves?:thumb:

Yep - that's what their old instruction sheet used to say.....I ignored the advice, Roy lost the plot with that one.

Yeah, I just had a mental picture of you heading off to your local Beaurepaires dealer to get your phono cartridge fitted!:)

Edit: BTW, wasn't it Rega that also recommended that you don't clean your records and that you should just let the stylus drag all the gunk out of the record grooves?:)

Cheers,

Keith

LOL..., :D.... however,.... Orfeus 'appeared' quite serious in suggesting a TT's noise floor could be lowered by operating it in water..., so, expanding on that revealing insight, I presented him with the idea that this concept could be extended to operating his CD/DAC in the fish tank to give a more 'analogue effect'..., he has not responded since...(I hope he is OK :thumb:)

RE: Rega's idea on 'not cleaning'....I don't go along with that idea, never did, neither the idea that modifications are a waste of time, 'for the paranoid'...clearly, they DO work, and clearly, records NEED to be cleaned to minimize distortion, improve tracking and clear the way for the stylus to extract most information from the record...

....however, with 'discerment', one can identify key elements of practical wisdom, and utilize them, such as 'tightening firmly - within reason' the cartridge to the tonearm --- I found this worked with the Luxman 284 DD, which I also made this minor mod to, among other things....

(can someone check and see if Orfeus is OK??? :))

Edited by TigerScent

LOL..., :).... however,.... Orfeus 'appeared' quite serious in suggesting a TT's noise floor could be lowered by operating it in water..., so, expanding on that revealing insight, I presented him with the idea that this concept could be extended to operating his CD/DAC in the fish tank to give a more 'analogue effect'..., he has not responded since...(I hope he is OK :thumb:)

RE: Rega's idea on 'not cleaning'....I don't go along with that idea, never did, neither the idea that modifications are a waste of time, 'for the paranoid'...clearly, they DO work, and clearly, records NEED to be cleaned to minimize distortion, improve tracking and clear the way for the stylus to extract most information from the record...

....however, with 'discerment', one can identify key elements of practical wisdom, and utilize them, such as 'tightening firmly - within reason' the cartridge to the tonearm --- I found this worked with the Luxman 284 DD, which I also made this minor mod to, among other things....

(can someone check and see if Orfeus is OK??? :))

Well TS, if you can sort out the difference between the BS and what is of value when it comes to turntables, you're miles in front for a start. When you talk about 'Orfeus', who do you mean mate? If it is Orpheus [one of the mods] here on SNA, than he's probably drowned trying to play his turntable in his fish tank!!:)

Cheers,

Keith

Well TS, if you can sort out the difference between the BS and what is of value when it comes to turntables, you're miles in front for a start. When you talk about 'Orfeus', who do you mean mate? If it is Orpheus [one of the mods] here on SNA, than he's probably drowned trying to play his turntable in his fish tank!!:)

Cheers,

Keith

YES...thats the one, Orpheus = Orfeus [the mod]... U got it....LOL.... :) ... (its been a bit of a concern after the CD/DAC idea... :thumb: )

...actually, I find its usually relatively easy to tell the BS 'generally speaking' with TT's and related areas to: - what works...ie: common sense, research...Excessively priced BS, where you are 'buying an idea' more-so than a valid enough practical improvement vs cost - or a neglibable one (relying on 98% sonic placebo...lol), or something that you can do yourself with same or similar effect at ~90% less cost..., bugz me...Im amazed at how just applying oneself and trying simple/minimal cost solutions can have such a dramatic value in adding sonic improvement...

...just simple common sense things...

ie: Isolation, damping, use of more conductive materials/solder (makes sense & works), knowing what needs to be tightly coupled or de-coupled, etc...

...it all adds up...

...not pretending to be an expert, but its been working for me big-time...

Edited by TigerScent

I think this thread needs to get back on track.

If you mean by "get back on track", soundfan ... to show a pic of your cartridge and one of your phono stage, what's the point of showing pics? :thumb:

It's the sound that matters - so all you need to do is state what you've got. :)

I have a Phantom Audio phono stage (unfortunately now ceased production, as Mike Kontor - Leading Edge Audio, in Ormond - has retired) heavily modified by me. I also have a Benz Ebony LP.

The Phantom Audio phono stage has (through direct & indirect comparisons) "seen off" many of the phono stages mentioned on this thread. The only ones that I've heard that are definitely better are Hayabusa's Audia Flight and Jasper's Allnic. And next time Vince comes to Melbourne, I'd be interested in comparing it to his Black Cube. :)

Regards,

Andy

If you mean by "get back on track", soundfan ... to show a pic of your cartridge and one of your phono stage, what's the point of showing pics? :thumb:

It's the sound that matters - so all you need to do is state what you've got. :)

I have a Phantom Audio phono stage (unfortunately now ceased production, as Mike Kontor - Leading Edge Audio, in Ormond - has retired) heavily modified by me. I also have a Benz Ebony LP.

The Phantom Audio phono stage has (through direct & indirect comparisons) "seen off" many of the phono stages mentioned on this thread. The only ones that I've heard that are definitely better are Hayabusa's Audia Flight and Jasper's Allnic. And next time Vince comes to Melbourne, I'd be interested in comparing it to his Black Cube. :)

Regards,

Andy

ttiwwp.gif

ttiwwp.gif

Great graphics, tt ... but I don't agree with the message. :)

Pics of TTs - surely! :thumb: Pics of arms, too. But a pic of a phono stage is just a nondescript box ... with, possibly, a LED showing it's on. Boooorrrriiiing! :)

And the only pic of a cartridge that I've seen, that I consider to be worth seeing, is a new Ortofon (don't know the model) which is kindof a 'skeletal' structure - otherwise, a cartridge is a wood or aluminium 'box' with a cantilever sticking out the front. :)

Regards,

Andy

Great graphics, tt ... but I don't agree with the message.

Pics of TTs - surely! Pics of arms, too. But a pic of a phono stage is just a nondescript box ... with, possibly, a LED showing it's on. Boooorrrriiiing! :)

And the only pic of a cartridge that I've seen, that I consider to be worth seeing, is a new Ortofon (don't know the model) which is kindof a 'skeletal' structure - otherwise, a cartridge is a wood or aluminium 'box' with a cantilever sticking out the front. :)

Regards,

Andy

Enough talking on this thread Andy.:P If you can't show any pics of your kit, i will do it for you. ;)

AndyrFrankenpan-07.jpg

AndyrFrankenpan-20.jpg

AndyrFrankenpan-19.jpg

AndyrFrankenpan-06.jpg

Edited by jaspert

Great graphics, tt ... but I don't agree with the message. ;)

Pics of TTs - surely! :P Pics of arms, too. But a pic of a phono stage is just a nondescript box ... with, possibly, a LED showing it's on. Boooorrrriiiing! :)

Regards,

Andy

Andy

How can you not agree!!! I started this thread asking folks to post pics. It is great fun seeing pic's of everyone's phono stages and cartridges.

If you don't want to play in this simple thread, take your bat and ball and play somewhere else. There is no need to argue on every thread Andy. moon.gif

Edited by turntable

Enough talking on this thread Andy.;) If you can't show any pics of your kit, i will do it for you. :)

Thank you Jasper. :) I quickly looked for those photos, in case I could post them ... but I couldn't find them.

But, seriously ... what's good about the pics of the Benz LP? Whereas the pics of my new plinth are beaudifull. :P

Regards,

Andy

Thank you Jasper. :) I quickly looked for those photos, in case I could post them ... but I couldn't find them.

But, seriously ... what's good about the pics of the Benz LP? Whereas the pics of my new plinth are beaudifull. :P

Regards,

Andy

A pleasure. If only you could get a wood body for your Benz LP to match your plinth...;)

ESC retipped Troika making great music on the LP12. thanks Jasper, brings me back to my Linn/Naim days

6465521613_86e7898c0c_b.jpg

Still a favorite combination among many Linnies/Naimnees in UK.

Edited by jaspert

A pleasure. If you only you could get a wood body for your Benz LP to match your plinth...:P

That would indeed be sensational ... but would a Tasmanian Myrtle body sound as good as the ebony? ;)

Unfortunately we will never get the chance to find out. :) I'm sure Vince has some offcuts but I suspect the cost for Benz to make a once-off from this wood ... would be horrific! :)

Regards,

Andy

Just slapped a Boozhound together (based on the 'le Pacific' design), running off 2 x 12v Rechargeable DieMac Batteries from Jaycar http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SB2482&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=997#12

Used the supplied parts and just swapped two of the Russian PIO's in each channel for a Mundorf S/O and a Obligatto MPK, the three PIO's are in the EQ stage... the case is not really a case, It's and old cardboard parts box :) No noise, in fact this thing is very quiet! Even though I have only listened at low volumes, I can tell this sounds nice, especially considering the small investment.

Can't get the Samsung phone software to work on Win7 so no pics :o might be best though :)

Can't wait till the morning to crank the volume on this :)

Edited by datafone

Lol!

It is difficult to say which my favorite is because, for examples, I like the AT OC9 matching with the Trio head amp and the Pioneer C21, but the 103R with the Denon AU340 into the Cambridge 640P”s MM stage. For some of cartridges, I prefer the Nighthawk or the Jasmine LP 2.0 Se on its own, so there is not an absolute answer.