Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

Hi Kcc123,

What's the sound style different, between the VDH and the Soundsmith retip on the FR cardridge?

Haven't see you a long time in R33 or another forum.

Ray

Hi Ray,

I have not posted much recently due to some DIY home improvement projects hence the shortage of spare time.

In fact, the two FR MC201s are not exactly the same though they look similar. They are slightly different in size and sound, probably some variations between the two samples of different era.

The Soundsmith re-tipped MC201 is cleaner, more dynamic and transparent than the VDH re-tipped one, though the VDH one sounds already very good by any standard.

I'm loving all these photos of the cartridges. They look great.

A question for Kcc. Have you got each cartridge mounted in a headshell so you can whip them on and off easily to your heart's content or do you have to mess about with just half a dozen headshells and mount one when you can be arsed?

I'm loving all these photos of the cartridges. They look great.

A question for Kcc. Have you got each cartridge mounted in a headshell so you can whip them on and off easily to your heart's content or do you have to mess about with just half a dozen headshells and mount one when you can be arsed?

A good question!

You might have discovered that I used many different headshells for the cartridges in the photos.I have over forty of them, but not quite enough for all my cartridges though. I love tonearms with detachable headshell and the beauty of them is I can swap cartridges with ease and safety.

Here is a picture of some of the headshells

P1140913copy.jpg

Edited by kcc123

A good question!

You might have discovered that I used many different headshells for the cartridges in the photos.I have over forty of them, but not quite enough for all my cartridges though. I love tonearms with detachable headshell and the beauty of them is I can swap cartridges with ease and safety.

Here is a picture of some of the headshells

P1140913copy.jpg

A very impressive collection. You are indeed a total nutter (like most of us, but more so)

Hi wolster,

I have just over ten turntables, all working perfectly except the Lenco GL75, which has not been used for years, would definitely need some cleaning and servicing before being used again.

My favourites should be the Technics SP15, JVC TT71 motor unit on a custom base and Denon DP80, all direct drive turntables, not they are the best sounding (they do sound excellent) but because they have multi tonearms mounted on them.

My Technics SP15 on an acrylic plinth where three tonearms are mounted

DSC07996copy.jpg

• 4 months later...