Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

I have quite a few cartridges, roughly sixty in total, including MIs, MMs, MCs and a strain gauge.

It’s no point for me to list every one of them; however, here are some photos of part of my collection:

Denon DL103R

Picture613.jpg

DL103R in an aluminum body

Cartridges807copy.jpg

DL 103D

DSC01630copy.jpg

DL 103

P1130671copy.jpg

DL303

DSC01530copy.jpg

DL304

P1130204copy.jpg

I also have a DL110 and DL301 as well.

Guest The Fresh Prince

Herron VTSP 3 and VTPH 2- tube preamp and tube phono stage

Benz Micro Glider SL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33801[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33802[/ATTACH]

Edited by teddyboy

@kc33 - great collection and great shots! Plase post more and like heman said, shots of the tables would be nice as well. In fact, why stop there - I wanna see your whole system!

Actually, I just realized I've seen one of these shots before. And it ended up on the cover of one of my compilation CDs which I like to make.

This one:

HiFidelityForWankers10.jpg

Hope you don't mind that I did that!

:)

Edited by Bunyip

@kc33 - great collection and great shots! Plase post more and like heman said, shots of the tables would be nice as well. In fact, why stop there - I wanna see your whole system!

Actually, I just realized I've seen one of these shots before. And it ended up on the cover of one of my compilation CDs which I like to make.

This one:

HiFidelityForWankers10.jpg

Hope you don't mind that I did that!

:)

Hi Bunyip,

My pleasure! I don’t mind at all.

Regarding your request, below is a picture of my Linn LP12 with the Ittok and AT OC9 cartridge:

DSC01975copy.jpg

My Shure 15 Type 111 (SME tone arm) on the Linn LP 12 - (early original from second serial number batch un -modified) and my el-cheapo ortfon on my Luxman (grace tonearm) which is my 45rpm player.

Feeding into my little toshiba pre amp doing phono stage duties and for fun shots of my rotel 1212 and 1312 doing power amp duties,

Not very good photos as taken with an old digital camera:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33884[/ATTACH] Ortofon Red on an Aslan modified Sansui arm ....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33885[/ATTACH] Benz Micro MC-20E2-L on bog standard Denon arm ....

I like red cartridges, they sound faster :P

JJ

Hi DS,

I think the nearest retipper to you should be the Garrott Brothers; however, you have to pay for an inspection fee of A$40 before they carry out the job, though it will be reimbursed later.

If you don’t mind sending it away, then Expert Stylus Company in UK and Soundsmith in US are both recommended. The stylus that Soundsmith offer is very durable and will last for ages; unfortunately, I cannot say the same thing to the stylus retipped by Garrett Brothers in my experience.

Edited by kcc123

Hi DS,

I think the nearest retipper to you should be the Garrott Brothers; however, you have to pay for an inspection fee of A$40 before they carry out the job, though it will be reimbursed later.

If you don’t mind sending it away, then Expert Stylus Company in UK and Soundsmith in US are both recommended. The stylus that Soundsmith offer is very durable and will last for ages; unfortunately, I cannot say the same thing to the stylus retipped by Garrett Brothers in my experience.

Valuable info, thanks kcc. I have a Supex 1000 that sounds fine but, now that I have a good spare cartridge, I was thinking of getting it inspected and re-tipped if necessary.

Cheers

wolster

No photos for now - I have two cartridges which have been sent off to Soundsmith in the US for new ruby cantilevers and optimum contour contact line diamonds (the best that Soundsmith offer) - one is a Shelter 501 Mk2 (it will be very interesting to find out how it compares to my current standard Shelter 501 Mk2) - the other is my long dis-cantilevered Monster Cable ?-Genesis 1000, the hand-tuned precursor to the ZYX R-100 - I've written to Hisayoshi Nakatsuka (don't know if I will get a response) asking him if he thinks a Soundsmith ruby cantilever + OC-CL stylus would be an OK match for his ?-Genesis 1000 (it originally had a hollow aluminium-dust-coated boron cantilever and shibata stylus, so the Soundsmith top-of-line offering is not necessarily better than the original, but hopefully in the same league). So, in 3 months I get to test 3 cartridges against each other and decide which I keep and which I sell. THEN, I'll post the photos.

Cheers,

Warren

Hi DS,

Thanks, I've heard varying things about the Garrott Bros. Might contact Expert Stylus when the funds allow. Then again, the Blue Angel still probably has at least a year left (I reckon on about 3 to 4 years before they need retipping, what do others find?). I should also be able to get the Blue Angel retipped by the maker. But, would like to have the Supex looked at and renovated.

DS