Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

Ah got it. Apology.

The first emoticon was unintentional, pressed accidentally posting from iPhone small key pad.

Just saw it in the reply and deleted it.

It's magic! :party

That headshell has two recessed lines where the nuts sit. Usually i'd have the head of the bolts upwards but the P-3 is a bit of a pig to mount and this way is the easiest.

This photo of the headshell explains things

smeorto2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's mine :

Benz Micro ACE SL MC cartridge and a Trichord Dino phonostage with DIY wooden housing.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33527[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33528[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33529[/ATTACH]

jubilee.jpg

The Cadenza is now on the Model 10 in the study.

Can I suggest, Hergest, that you would get better sound by replacing your headshell wires with a set of solid-core wires. :)

Regards,

Andy

Okay, a couple of changes since the start of this thread. Nighthawk has gone and now I have this setup for MC & MM instead...........

Picture927.jpg

Picture951.jpg

Cart is ESC modified Denon DL103..................

Picture943.jpg

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
Added pic..........

attachment.php?attachmentid=33539&d=1309077577

Syrinx PU3 with Cardas Wiring, single run from cartridge to phono preamp, with a Shelter 501 Mk2. Turntable is an Australian individually crafted Once Analog turntable. Phono Preamp is a Jasmine Audio LP2.0 Mk2 (photo to come)

Edited by warrenmmmmm

Mines the best cos it's red and therefore faster... :)

red1.JPG

red3.JPG

NOT correct! RED is HOTTER, but BLUE is COOL. Now there are two differing opinions: Some say you have to get HOT to play real cool, which would support your cartridge, but others say you need to be COOL to play real HOT. Given that there is 4 times as much energy in Blue as there is in Red, electromagnetic physics would tend to be on the side of Blue cartridges. As far as speed is concerned, all colours travel at the same speed, and besides we should not be discussing drugs in this forum.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 2

attachment.php?attachmentid=33543&d=1309079816

OS, have you tried the Dino & PS without the polystyrene blocks? :)

Or compared it an air-isolation mount? (For a cheap experiment, use a 300 x 300 concrete paver resting on a 300mm diam, half-inflated inner tyre or 8 squash balls. If you like the result then tou can use a slate slab.)

Regards,

Andy

• Like 1

Can I suggest, Hergest, that you would get better sound by replacing your headshell wires with a set of solid-core wires. :)

Regards,

Andy

These are the ones that come with the Jubilee. They do me perfectly. The day i start messing around trying out different headshell leads is the day i give it all up and buy an mp3 player. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Like 1

These are the ones that come with the Jubilee. They do me perfectly. The day i start messing around trying out different headshell leads is the day i give it all up and buy an mp3 player. Thanks for the suggestion though.

It's a very simple - and cheap - experiment, Hergest. :)

If these "do you perfectly" then perhaps you should listen to an MP3 player! :)

Regards,

Andy

OS, have you tried the Dino & PS without the polystyrene blocks? :)

Or compared it an air-isolation mount? (For a cheap experiment, use a 300 x 300 concrete paver resting on a 300mm diam, half-inflated inner tyre or 8 squash balls. If you like the result then tou can use a slate slab.)

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy, those are concrete pavers not polystyrene:). Thanks for the tip anyway and I'll play around with isolation now the TT is complete.

Cheers James.

Hi Andy, those are concrete pavers not polystyrene:). Thanks for the tip anyway and I'll play around with isolation now the TT is complete.

Cheers James.

Ah, sorry, James. Concrete is good (but not very pretty). Slate is also good and has more WAF. :)

Regards,

Andy

It's a very simple - and cheap - experiment, Hergest. :)

If these "do you perfectly" then perhaps you should listen to an MP3 player! :)

Regards,

Andy

I'm sure it is simple and cheap but as i feel nothing is amiss then i can't be arsed. :)

I'm sure it is simple and cheap but as i feel nothing is amiss then i can't be arsed. :)

Hehe, here we have the two polar opposites of the human condition :) :

* uncurious - those who are happy with what they have and rarely make any changes,

and

* curious - those who never cease striving to make what they have, better.

I'm in the latter group; I don't swap out components very often - after all, I have basically had my Maggie IIIas for 20 years ... but the ones I have now are very different beasts from the ones I bought then! :) Likewise, I still have the LP12 I bought in 78/79 - but it has been upgraded along the way, too. :)

Because of my curiosity, I bought Allen Wright's "Super Cable Cook Book" about 15 years ago and stopped using stranded wires, on account of his philosophies.

Regards,

Andy

"I bought Allen Wright's "Super Cable Cook Book" about 15 years ago and stopped using stranded wires, on account of his philosophies."

perhaps it would be better to chose based on sound rather than a philosophy :)

Single strand can be good, use them my self and have done from back when DNM proposed them

But, in my experance, like most things audio, they are not the "only" answer - as it would turn out the headshell leads that come with the Ortofon Jubilee are quite good

good enough that I use them by preference !

who would have thought that a company that makes one of the world best carts - would actualy include good sounding and high quality headshell leads

go figure

I just had a scroll back up to the top of the page to check the thread title and the topic..........perhaps a new thread for the above cables and cook book thingies, or not? Just a thought gents....:)

Cheers,

Keith

To keep it on topic, here's a horrendous photo of the first Jubilee i had some years ago taken with a flash. The cantilever and stylus are as clean as but the rest looks like it's been mud plugging with the local 4wd club.

gi.mpl?u=24237&f=Ortofon.jpg&self=

Andy, i was in the first human condition of your post for 30 years but am no longer as far as the main rig is concerned, it is as perfect as i wish it to be. The study system has me wavering about in the second as i'm never satisfied with that.

Andy, i was in the first human condition of your post for 30 years but am no longer as far as the main rig is concerned, it is as perfect as i wish it to be. The study system has me wavering about in the second as i'm never satisfied with that.

All the best to you, Hergest. :)

I also have 2 systems:

* the main system (in the main living room in the house) - the day I stop improving this will be the day that I die ... or have to sell it, to move into a nursing home! :)

* a secondary system in another house. The last changes to this I did a few years ago and, as it only plays CDs and FM tuner and I'm not there all that much, "improving" it further is not particularly high on the cost/benefit scale. But even it only has solid-core cables. :)

Regards,

Andy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33562[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33563[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33564[/ATTACH]

Denon DL103................DIY SUT........................ and it's guts.

And with the trough in place.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33578[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33579[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33580[/ATTACH]

DL110 and Goldie 1042. bottom right in the last pic is a spare outrigger stripped of paint to match the parts Gutty has supplied.

• Like 1

To Top