Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

10 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

I scored a Series 3 Twin back in 87. **** happened and I had to sell it early this millenium. Retiree now and don't have the Reddies for a new one.

Few preamps measure even close to this good, been ages I have been curious how it sounds.

• Frequency response: flat from 20Hz to 20kHz, -1.25dB @ 100kHz
  • Bass adjustment range: ±15dB at 20Hz; ±13dB at 75Hz
  • Treble adjustment range: ±15dB at 20kHz; ±14dB at 10kHz
  • Input impedance: 22kΩ
  • Output impedance: 100Ω
  • THD+N: <0.001%, 80kHz bandwidth;
  • typically <0.0003%, 20kHz bandwidth
  • Signal-to-noise ratio: -121dB with tone controls out; -114dB with tone controls in
  • Channel separation: >80dB @ 1kHz; >67dB @ 10kHz
  • Input separation: >98dB @ 1kHz; >80dB @ 10kHz
  • Maximum gain: two times (6dB)
  • Signal handling: up to 4V RMS input, 8V RMS output

2 hours ago, cafe latte said:

Few preamps measure even close to this good, been ages I have been curious how it sounds.

• Frequency response: flat from 20Hz to 20kHz, -1.25dB @ 100kHz
  • Bass adjustment range: ±15dB at 20Hz; ±13dB at 75Hz
  • Treble adjustment range: ±15dB at 20kHz; ±14dB at 10kHz
  • Input impedance: 22kΩ
  • Output impedance: 100Ω
  • THD+N: <0.001%, 80kHz bandwidth;
  • typically <0.0003%, 20kHz bandwidth
  • Signal-to-noise ratio: -121dB with tone controls out; -114dB with tone controls in
  • Channel separation: >80dB @ 1kHz; >67dB @ 10kHz
  • Input separation: >98dB @ 1kHz; >80dB @ 10kHz
  • Maximum gain: two times (6dB)
  • Signal handling: up to 4V RMS input, 8V RMS output

It's not the specs mate, it's the sound. From memory, fully star earthed and boards made in Switzerland as they could'nt get anyone in the UK to do the job. (back in the 80's)

Also, even though they were prone to faults, the original volume pots helped things a lot as well. Never heard a preamp like it.

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

It's not the specs mate, it's the sound. From memory, fully star earthed and boards made in Switzerland as they could'nt get anyone in the UK to do the job. (back in the 80's)

Also, even though they were prone to faults, the original volume pots helped things a lot as well. Never heard a preamp like it.

Me neither which is why I rebuilt mine the pots are alps which alps as good as it gets. 

The circuit I linked though cant measure that good and be crap IMO. It is 68 bucks I am too curious thinking to build one for giggles, jst need to pick a phono board. 

The DNM is serious and listening to it now never want to be without it but curious too.

Chris

11 hours ago, cafe latte said:

Me neither which is why I rebuilt mine the pots are alps which alps as good as it gets. 

The circuit I linked though cant measure that good and be crap IMO. It is 68 bucks I am too curious thinking to build one for giggles, jst need to pick a phono board. 

I note it has tone controls.   When you build it, there's a nearby thread here you might visit :)   

I don't have access to the article it comes from,  but do you know what opamps and what type of circuit it employs?  I mean, it can't be a run of the mill opamp preamp if the specs are so much better than expected.

13 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I note it has tone controls.   When you build it, there's a nearby thread here you might visit :)   

I don't have access to the article it comes from,  but do you know what opamps and what type of circuit it employs?  I mean, it can't be a run of the mill opamp preamp if the specs are so much better than expected.

I will see if I can find the article when I get home.

CHeers

Chris

Piezo GM500/empire MC5 finally in the house running on sp10mk2 and audio technica at-1010 sounds truly spectacular. Just retipped with boron cantilever W microridge Stylus. Initial impression sounds like the dynavector 17d2 will have to be put on the bench. Sounds dynamic top to bottom. I even have to check that the sub is not on because the cartridge have noticeably better low end grunt and detail. And this is with just tracking just 1 gram

this has been an unexpected and pleasant surprise finding such a rare cartridge

20210203_184620~2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, stevoz said:

@mloutfie Boron and micro-ridge....truly a winning combination! ?:thumb:

agree... just took a snap of the stylus. This cartridge remind me of a lyra cartridge I used to have which uses boron cantilever and micro ridge. I think boron have this immediateness to the sound instrument seems to jump at you more first is lyra second is the new cartridge

WIN_20190127_19_35_46_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210204_17_43_49_Pro.thumb.jpg.84b3027f6e05267ae5fe9fcb7275c023.jpg

Edited by mloutfie
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

agree... just took a snap of the stylus. This cartridge remind me of a lyra cartridge I used to have which uses boron cantilever and micro ridge. I think boron have this immediateness to the sound instrument seems to jump at you more first is lyra second is the new cartridge

WIN_20190127_19_35_46_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210204_17_43_49_Pro.thumb.jpg.84b3027f6e05267ae5fe9fcb7275c023.jpg

My thoughts of it were very free, not constrained at all very very open with amazing detail. It was very shocking to hear what it was doing so amazingly and at 1g!! I had never heard of this cart before, it is really a sleeper IMO.

Chris

• Like 1

Out with the existing and in with the new.

I have enjoyed my RCM Sensor Prelude so much over the last couple of years, it even saw off a Tron 7 that I sold because I preferred  the Prelude.

Anyway I have  just upgraded to a new Sensor Mk2.

Looking forward to plugging it in tomorrow.

cheers,

Terry

RCM 2 v RCM Prelude.jpg

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 6

On 03/02/2021 at 10:18 PM, mloutfie said:

Piezo GM500/empire MC5 finally in the house running on sp10mk2 and audio technica at-1010 sounds truly spectacular. Just retipped with boron cantilever W microridge Stylus. Initial impression sounds like the dynavector 17d2 will have to be put on the bench. Sounds dynamic top to bottom. I even have to check that the sub is not on because the cartridge have noticeably better low end grunt and detail. And this is with just tracking just 1 gram

this has been an unexpected and pleasant surprise finding such a rare cartridge

20210203_184620~2.jpg

Who did the retip?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, mloutfie said:

Sure it doesn't have the resolution of a higher end phono stage but there is always something special with using a step up transformer and tube phono preamp #supex #hagermanCornet3

But you have a Paris, Mahdie - which enables you to get the ideal loading for your cart!  :o  You prefer the SUT with your Cornet 3?  (Incroyable!)

Andy

Edited by andyr

1 hour ago, andyr said:

But you have a Paris, Mahdie - which enables you to get the ideal loading for your cart!  :o  You prefer the SUT with your Cornet 3?  (Incroyable!)

Andy

With a step up specifically designed by the same manufacturer for the exact  cartridge. At the moment I would say yes. But a non exact to spec transformer to some other cartridge Paris would win hands down

Edited by mloutfie

Humble Elys40 MM. it actually sounds better than I thought it would. I still see a DV MC happening sooner rather than later though. 

6715C02F-6AF8-4E40-90C3-80DD4C78758C.thumb.jpeg.cdf05f0b86cc6f8b4bb17ce8db03b484.jpeg

and speaking of Dynavector, here’s my new P75 sitting below my Cyrus pre. 

B48D4BBA-3D27-424C-BD60-45DEFE25ACAA.thumb.jpeg.4c00dba4eb02e065991e5da85aa7a8e7.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, metal beat said:

I thought I would bring out the Pioneer HZ-1 head amp and  have a play :thumb:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-H-Z1.html

SnqTi4X.jpg

Very noice, Shane.  :thumb:

Not that many options in terms of loading but why don't you try whichever Ortofon you have mounted and see how you like 470 ohms vs. the 100 ohms you previously said was the right loading?  :)

Andy

A couple of weeks ago or so, there were a number of very nice carts for sale on the forums here - a DV 20x2L, a couple of DV XX2s and a Rega Ania Pro. 

the 20x2L had been on my buying list and would have been a great match with my DV phono stage but I picked the Rega because it came up first and was BNIB. 

0A069FA0-8DAA-4985-9299-B01484126504.thumb.jpeg.b4c5a8f34355ee762f2b00eb832041ea.jpeg

I’m very happy with the Rega and it would have been impossible to end up with a dud with what’s been available recently. 

Edited by Winno
  • Like 3