Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

Lyra Atlas Lambda SL.       Brand new Lambda version which sounds a little different to the old one and gone from green body to purple.

crazy price for new, but Lyra have generous rebuild prices for existing customers but still an expensive purchase.

Kr1lOgz.jpg

8QtCiJO.jpg

oWVULHw.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 21
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Too many cartridges for me to be bothered listing however this is my phono stage. An Abbas Audio EL84 Tube RIAA Preamp: 

5.thumb.jpg.ab9a79e1d25e6416375c9b730cac074c.jpg

Very cool, Matt!  :thumb:

Andy

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, andyr said:

Very cool, Matt!  :thumb:

Andy

This stage seems to gel better with vintage carts rather than modern. The Empire 1000ZE/X was the first I tried with it after a disappointing experience with my Audio Technica ART9 + Hashimoto HM-7 SUT and I preferred that over it.

Tonight I've hooked up my Garrott Bros P87 LOMC + Fidelity Research FRT4 SUT and it's absolutely magical.  I think I'll leave this on the deck for a while  :D

My Hashimoto HM-7 & HM-3 SUT's have now both been sold and I'll just keep the FRT4 and your Aksa Paris head amp  :)

10 hours ago, MattyW said:

This stage seems to gel better with vintage carts rather than modern. The Empire 1000ZE/X was the first I tried with it after a disappointing experience with my Audio Technica ART9 + Hashimoto HM-7 SUT and I preferred that over it.

I presume you mean the Empire (HO) sounded better (than the ART9)?  :)  Even though the Empire was being loaded at 47K by your Abbas phono stage.

Tonight I've hooked up my Garrott Bros P87 LOMC + Fidelity Research FRT4 SUT and it's absolutely magical.  I think I'll leave this on the deck for a while  :D

The P87 wasn't in the list of carts in our PM.  What is the coil ratio of the FRT4 (ie. what is it giving the P87 as a load)?

My Hashimoto HM-7 & HM-3 SUT's have now both been sold and I'll just keep the FRT4 and your Aksa Paris head amp  :)

I suspect you've ended up in the black, overall!  :)

Andy

• Like 1

The FRT4 has 4x gain settings and MM bypass.  I just switch between the settings until I find what sounds best. It's almost never the high levels.

As for in the black....  Well I did sell art a rather good price. A fair bit below my original cost. Still, I couldn't be happier about who they've gone to.

The Hashimoto sound signature didn't gel well with my new phono stage was the trouble. The FRT-4 on the other hand sounds fantastic with it.  I believe the Aksa Paris head amp will also. 

The Garrott P87 is a new acquisition Andy :)

A few settings on the FRT4. Not as flexible as your headamp but the most flexible and hum resistant SUT I've ever run.

20200523_175602.thumb.jpg.930bcd59c1fae2196adcd07b5a4eb59c.jpg

Edited by MattyW

My current system has a vintage Shure M7D (flatpin - ca. 1959) with an N21D stylus running into UTC step-up transformers and a Sansui AU-777D (variac-ed to 100V).

The M7D replaced my Supex SD-900 E+ Super. 

SHURE_UTC_1.jpg

SHURE_UTC_2.jpg

SUPEX_900E+.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Jazzbo said:

My current system has a vintage Shure M7D (flatpin - ca. 1959) with an N21D stylus running into UTC step-up transformers and a Sansui AU-777D (variac-ed to 100V).

The M7D replaced my Supex SD-900 E+ Super. 

SHURE_UTC_1.jpg

SHURE_UTC_2.jpg

SUPEX_900E+.jpg

Love your work on the photos mate, well done.

• Like 1

Concept MC Aluminum on Clearaudio Concept TT (with Herbie’s Audio Way Excellent TT mat) playing the Telarc version of the Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture (real cannon shot to come).  The Concept MC was a significant sound improvement over my Concept MM cartridge which I clumsily ruined the stylus.  

8E07EE18-3CA7-4AB8-938F-B9E40C318996.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question, but can I put my Phono Stage (Dynavector) on the floor under my table if I sit it on a piece of plywood? I have just painted up another vinyl storage box I would like to sit next to the current one and "Dyna" won't fit beside the Turntable due to the Blue Jean Cable connections being massive (sticking out too far) so other option is on the floor underneath the current spot (under the shelf) - on a piece of ply timber. Floor is tiles on Concrete.

IMG_5212.JPG

• Like 4

On 13/04/2020 at 11:23 PM, gnnett said:

I too have a dead 310MC (was hoping it was repairable to complete my SL10) alas the tragedy is, I have been told they are destroyed by any attempt to open them.

Talk to Dmitry on Vinyl Engine. He might be able to breathe some life into it. "Delta667".

1 hour ago, April Snow said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question, but can I put my Phono Stage (Dynavector) on the floor under my table if I sit it on a piece of plywood? I have just painted up another vinyl storage box I would like to sit next to the current one and "Dyna" won't fit beside the Turntable due to the Blue Jean Cable connections being massive (sticking out too far) so other option is on the floor underneath the current spot (under the shelf) - on a piece of ply timber. Floor is tiles on Concrete.

IMG_5212.JPG

That would be fine. Do not place it near power cables or the turntable and locate it in a place that results in the shortest length of cable required to connect to your amp.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, April Snow said:

IMG_5212.JPG

You could use some metal strapping from bunnings and some small screws to attach it to the underside of the shelf. You would avoid it getting dusty and bumped by stuff on the floor.

justin 

5 hours ago, April Snow said:

I would say, April:

1. your phono stage will certainly sound better when positioned away from your Madonna records.  :P
  2. but why do you want to sit the DV on a piece of ply?  Sitting it on the tiles is no problem - but if you want to sit it on anything ... sit it on an isolation platform.  You can make this up simply from a heavy slab of something ... which sits on 4 squash balls - which each sit in a 2l milk carton top (to stop them rolling around).  Buy a 300x300 cement paver from Bunnings first up - then if you want to make something which looks a bit more attractive ... get a piece of 25mm thick slate or sandstone from a stone retailer.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Juzbear said:

You could use some metal strapping from bunnings and some small screws to attach it to the underside of the shelf. You would avoid it getting dusty and bumped by stuff on the floor.

justin 

That would be good but not sure how to do that ................but sounds a good idea - although I dont think it is possible as I  had that lower shelf reinforced with a metal bar underneath to hold the records ? 

Edited by April Snow

47 minutes ago, andyr said:

I would say, April:

1. your phono stage will certainly sound better when positioned away from your Madonna records.  :P
  2. but why do you want to sit the DV on a piece of ply?  Sitting it on the tiles is no problem - but if you want to sit it on anything ... sit it on an isolation platform.  You can make this up simply from a heavy slab of something ... which sits on 4 squash balls - which each sit in a 2l milk carton top (to stop them rolling around).  Buy a 300x300 cement paver from Bunnings first up - then if you want to make something which looks a bit more attractive ... get a piece of 25mm thick slate or sandstone from a stone retailer.

Andy

I just painted up a small piece of ply in White to sit it on - the same size - as I was not sure it would be OK on the bare tiles that is all. ??