Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

Wow there are just so many different phono stages. I'm running my RPM5.1 into my Sansui Alpha 907 built in phono. Do you think I would benefit from an external phono stage? I wonder what level/price I'd have to go to to get a noticeable improvement? 

1 hour ago, blakey72 said:

Wow there are just so many different phono stages. I'm running my RPM5.1 into my Sansui Alpha 907 built in phono. Do you think I would benefit from an external phono stage? I wonder what level/price I'd have to go to to get a noticeable improvement? 

If your running a decent MC ......absolutely...

Budget 2K as a start...

Have fun..

Tase.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi blakey72, i've mentioned before, the ifi iphono2 at under 1K, hard to beat, i'm using a NAD PP2e, spent more than double that for a MM card for my Exposure, still using the NAD.

My brother is bringing his ifi iphono and Rega 3 , Grace 707 arm , Ortofon MC20,  over to my place for a shoot out against my RegaPlanar 2, OEM moth 202 arm and Ortofon Quntet blue cartridge, looking forward to this 

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, SimonS said:

My new cartridge-Phasemation PP2000.

Game changer !- I thought my ZYX R100 was good-it is !

This cartridge takes my system to another level

What's with the square thing above the cartridge?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, Gryffles said:

Set this beauty up yesterday and I'm very pleased with it. 

Matches well with the NVO SPA II although I have to much gain

IMG_1334.JPG

Waaay excellent phono stage!  :thumb:

I searched - but couldn't find - its MC gain.

The Shelter Accord is specced at 0.5mV output ... so "too much gain" must signify the SPA-II has >>60dB gain?

Does your User Manual specify the MC gain?

Andy

1 minute ago, Gryffles said:

@andyr the NVO doesn’t have any obvious weaknesses so yeah pretty good!

Its 62dB gain for mc plus I have a high gain preamp. 

62dB is not super high ... so it would seem your preamp is the problem?

Andy

1 minute ago, andyr said:

62dB is not super high ... so it would seem your preamp is the problem?

Andy

That’s right. I’m changing from valve separates to SS integrated soon so that’ll fix it ?

On 01/07/2019 at 9:13 AM, SimonS said:

This cartridge takes my system to another level8FF5993D-3242-43DB-89EB-F16B8E75C6EE.thumb.jpeg.21ab18669c55477b6d6f678cc1842642.jpeg

Hi , 

Is that the Odyssey RP1XG Tonearm . I still have mine but currently mothballed .

thanks in advance , 

Edited by 930turbo
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, 930turbo said:

Hi , 

Is that the Odyssey RP1XG Tonearm . I still have mine but currently mothballed .

thanks in advance , 

It is indeed the RP1-xg,just recently fitted after a full rebuild

cheers

On 01/07/2019 at 11:13 AM, SimonS said:

This cartridge takes my system to another level8FF5993D-3242-43DB-89EB-F16B8E75C6EE.thumb.jpeg.21ab18669c55477b6d6f678cc1842642.jpeg

I bought my first PP-1000 about 6 or 7 years ago after running though the Phase Tech catalogue going up in price each time. I'm now on my second which has had a retip so I suppose you could now call it my third. Unless life forces me to change dramatically I have no intention of ever changing as the PP-1000 is a stunning cartridge. I can only imagine how good the 2000  is.

1 hour ago, Hergest said:

I bought my first PP-1000 about 6 or 7 years ago after running though the Phase Tech catalogue going up in price each time. I'm now on my second which has had a retip so I suppose you could now call it my third. Unless life forces me to change dramatically I have no intention of ever changing as the PP-1000 is a stunning cartridge. I can only imagine how good the 2000  is.

My system is a work in progress-sounding good-but a fair bit of money has been spent for small,but worthwhile incremental improvements lately 

Then this cartridge went on,and I had one of those OMG moments !

A huge hike in sound quality in every way,that I did not see coming

End game cartridge for me

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently completed some upgrades to my system. This is the crown jewel. It is from the Japanese company: My Sonic Lab and the cartridge is their Signature Gold, output 0.5 mV. I have it tracking at 1.9 gm. I only have a few hours on it so far. The sound is mesmerising. Detailed, expansive and wonderful at all the frequencies my 64 year old ears can hear. Vocals both male and female bring Leonard Cohen and Diana Krall right into my room, percussion is vibrant and  bass controlled and deep.

I have waited a long time for this. ?

1513493674_ZF2XHZGTCSen7bVZDSRw_thumb_ceeb.jpg.7466956d200604e846329712192efba0.jpg859810689_oD33c0hQQ6HYum95exwuQ_thumb_cee9.jpg.d8e6008947faefde0c92ca433b570831.jpg

• Like 8

6 hours ago, dwbasement said:

MP500, lovely sound.20190810_002302.jpeg

I love the colour of the main body of the Nagaoka. I had an MP 300 which looked the same and it looked good enough to eat like it was made out of really rich butterscotch

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...