Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

BlackTroikaLinnNaimHlogolarger_zps05e60461.jpg&key=0d8644eaff5167908d612806487b5ea8daf265c9c5c6314cc0e8f2d0e8191682I

BB99D693-243D-4F62-8EE1-C2ED47EF9420_zpsdbpuscli.jpg&key=092970b823f9504888bd7268da280440efa9656ceb0e4add1d75a73561c9ecdc

EDIT: Sorry, I should probably say what is pictured.

The cartridge is quite unique and, as far as I am aware, the only one in existence because it is a black (rather than red) Linn Troika. It is believed that this was a development sample before the red colour had been decided on. Since then it has been rebuilt and now sports a solid ruby cantilever and premium Gyger stylus. It retains much of the weighty, dynamic sound of the Troika but with added detail and speed. 

The phonostage is the rare, some would say infamous, Paradise. It is a MC only stage and is entirely dual mono. As such it consists of four identical cases; the two pictured are the actual amplification stages (they are stacked in a custom stand) and there are also two power supplies. 

I like the idea of dual mono stages for an mc only phono amp. You have got something very rate it seems

While it's nice to have matching equipment I would think that while one is enjoying sonic brilliance, one doesn't stare at their equipment.......ok, some might[emoji1] but you are right, it matters little what it looks like as long as it sounds good.[emoji106]

Thanks, i also have a tendency to turn off the lights to feel the sound stage or shoe gaze or stare at the leds and tubes glowing.

Shitty iphone photo, sorry.

IMG_1855.jpg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, metal beat said:

SPU Classic GM E mkII sounding better than ever. thankfully it sounds more nimble than its body suggests :)

Wonderful antique gear you have, Shane!  :thumb:  :lol:

Speaking of 'more nimble' ... I have recently bought some Linn-spring large grommets from Decibel HiFi.  These fit both ends of the stiffer springs I had someone make up for my SkeletaLinn - because the place I had positioned the bearing on v1 (which @djb has) was a bit too close to the LHS spring (so the Linn spring was too compressed).  On v2, which I have, I extended the triangular chassis about 50mm to the left - which evened up the weight on all 3 springs ... so the LHS one is no longer 'extra' compressed.  So I am using 3x standard Linn springs ... and David has 1x stiffer spring and 2x standard Linn springs.

Anyway, you posted a while ago that when you put stiffer springs under the base of one of your TTs ... it sounded much livelier.  So in a couple of weekends time, I am going to assemble my panel of golden-eared listeners, to listen to:

• the current situation - with 3x standard conical Linn springs under the chassis
  • and then how it sounds with 3 of my stiffer springs replacing the Linn springs.  :)

I'll let you know how it sounds!  :)

Andy

Edited by andyr

3 minutes ago, andyr said:

Wonderful antique gear you have, Shane!  :thumb:  :lol:

Speaking of 'more nimble' ... I have recently bought some Linn-spring large grommets from Decibel HiFi.  These fit both ends of the stiffer springs I had someone make up for my SkeletaLinn - because the place I had positioned the bearing on v1 (which @djb has) was a bit too close to the LHS spring (so the Linn spring was too compressed).  On v2, which I have, I extended the triangular chassis about 50mm to the left - which evened up the weight on all 3 springs ... so the LHS one is no longer 'extra' compressed.  So I am using 3x standard Linn springs ... and David has 1x stiffer spring and 2x standard Linn springs.

Anyway, you posted a while ago that when you put stiffer springs under the base of one of your TTs ... it sounded much livelier.  So in a couple of weekends time, I am going to assemble my panel of golden-eared listeners, to listen to:

• the current situation - with 3x standard conical Linn springs under the chassis
  • and then how it sounds with 3 of my stiffer springs replacing the Linn springs.  :)

I'll let you know how it sounds!  :)

Andy

Hi Andy

Yes, I want to know how the stiffer springs sound, so please update us.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

c27efb0f6705a142f9cd317dfc72a4de.jpg

When I was back in Singapore circumstances forced me to trade in some gear for something new. And I chose the VTL TP2.5i Phono - which is just out. It was announced and demo-ed at CES 2017 I believe but took longer to get out of the gate officially.

Just unpacked it today. Had to fiddle with jumpers under the hood to get the right settings - which is a pain for someone like me with fat fingers but once I dropped the needle, it was OMG good and everything was forgotten.

I’m almost afraid to bring it for a side by side shootout for my AudioResearch Ref 3 Phono.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

1 minute ago, metal beat said:

Did you ever pimp the plx-1000 with a new tonearm?

Not yet...

The AO Uniarm is going back to Johnnie for an update and hopefully I'll have time to get back on the project...

3 hours ago, Tasebass said:

Not yet...

The AO Uniarm is going back to Johnnie for an update and hopefully I'll have time to get back on the project...

What update are you getting for the uniarm?

13 hours ago, Tasebass said:

XV1s.thumb.jpg.e71f862e85ec24a710250d215d107607.jpg

Hi Tase, why did you take the knurled thumb-screw off the Univector headshell and replace it with a standard bolt?

Did you want to reduce the arm's effective weight?

Andy

9 hours ago, andyr said:

Hi Tase, why did you take the knurled thumb-screw off the Univector headshell and replace it with a standard bolt?

Did you want to reduce the arm's effective weight?

Andy

Yes Andy as we discussed earlier...           

To Top